Thread: PSX/PSP games

1. #1 PSX/PSP games 
    Ok so I know the basics of how to make a psx/psp game but when I make them, they freeze (lock up) at certain spots in the game and I'm looking for an advance tutorial on how to make better eboots. Can anyone help me. I've tried IceTea, POPstation, ImpalerPSX, RS-Gui Popstation, and a few others. And all of them have flaws in the eboots. For Instance, when I play FF8 I cannot use scan or it will lock up. Certain cinematics or just spots in the game will lock up and I cannot depending on it, i either cannot exit (locks up the whole psp) or i can hit HOME and exit to my xbm. Can anyone help me with an advanced tutorial on how to fix these problems, the best program to make eboots and etc. And just for clarification I have all legit stuff. I have the actual game discs which I've made isos and mdfs from. Please help.

Have you used PSX2PSP? I use that and have not had one issue yet with any game.
    Vader PSP2000 6.60ME 1.8
    Just got back on the scene testing thing out for now.

Threads to look at.

1.) How to: Install Opera Mini on your PSP
    2.) Best OFW/CFW Internet radio

just tried it. Tried version 1.4.2, 0.7.4, and 1.2 all with the same result of locking up at the same place the other creators did.

Thats really odd. What firmware are you on?
    Vader PSP2000 6.60ME 1.8
    Just got back on the scene testing thing out for now.

Threads to look at.

1.) How to: Install Opera Mini on your PSP
    2.) Best OFW/CFW Internet radio

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker cheema201's Avatar
    Your problem is not with the converter at all.. But with the way you convert. You only need certain converters for certain games (chrono cross I believe is one)

The problem you are having with ff8 is due to the gameID. RSgui v3, is in my opinion the best converter out there. Many people swear by psx2psp.

So it has nothing to do with you converter in the slightest... It has everything to do with the pops you run through popsloader and on some games the game ID (very few games actually require a certain converter, VERY few).

Try using an alternate GameID (SCUS-94640, SLPS-02180, SLPS-01222, or SLPS-01156)

Many people mention SLPS-02180 as being quite a stable game ID. Plus you can run on seperate pops. If you have trouble with FMV's most people find that 3.71 pops is the best to use. I ran the game through 4.01, and tried 3.90, and 3.72 pops and had little trouble with any of them. I played through the first 3 discs without any freezes at all. Some people say it freezes when using scan, in certain fmv's, when you use the magic full-life or bio. But that should not occur when using a seperate game ID.

also you can check here from some years ago, there was a fix done for it. Mainly to switch between two strong GameID's. One for speed the other for stability.
    [release] The Ff8 Solution V2

Basically it is a game known to have issues. If you have any other issues you should consult the compatibility wiki
    PSX on PSP Compatibility List - TheGamersPress

Best of luck

Tutorial
    Popsloader Installation guide
    Step by Step Popsloader installation guide

Pandora for all PSP lovers.. this is wat we have been waiting for
    Pandora Linux Handheld

Interested in having a little fun with the Final Fantasy games? Check out my code thread
    Exploiting Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 7 Remake
    Remake Final Fantasy 7 Petition

Quote Originally Posted by cheema201 View Post
    Your problem is not with the converter at all.. But with the way you convert. You only need certain converters for certain games (chrono cross I believe is one)

The problem you are having with ff8 is due to the gameID. RSgui v3, is in my opinion the best converter out there. Many people swear by psx2psp.

So it has nothing to do with you converter in the slightest... It has everything to do with the pops you run through popsloader and on some games the game ID (very few games actually require a certain converter, VERY few).

Try using an alternate GameID (SCUS-94640, SLPS-02180, SLPS-01222, or SLPS-01156)

Many people mention SLPS-02180 as being quite a stable game ID. Plus you can run on seperate pops. If you have trouble with FMV's most people find that 3.71 pops is the best to use. I ran the game through 4.01, and tried 3.90, and 3.72 pops and had little trouble with any of them. I played through the first 3 discs without any freezes at all. Some people say it freezes when using scan, in certain fmv's, when you use the magic full-life or bio. But that should not occur when using a seperate game ID.

also you can check here from some years ago, there was a fix done for it. Mainly to switch between two strong GameID's. One for speed the other for stability.

Basically it is a game known to have issues. If you have any other issues you should consult the compatibility wiki

Best of luck
    Wow, thank you so much. The 4 Game ID's you suggested are those just examples in general or are they alternate IDs for FF8? And is there a different ID for each disk? Also if you know of a good site that could provide ID's for games that would help too. Again, thanks a bunch this definitely helped a lot!

Ok so I tried it with different Game ID's and most of them won't even load the game. The psp loads the file, but it never gets to any game screen. Also, make the eboots and I enter the IMG it auto fills to SLUS00892 which I'm assuming is the game ID for the actual disc.
    Last edited by burnm3w1thf1r3; 03-29-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker cheema201's Avatar
    The game ID's are actually ID's for different games.. SLPS02180 is for Dino Crisis (J). Known as one of the most stable. SLUS 00892 is the game ID for FF8, making it the faster running game ID. But runs with issues.

What version of pops are you using to load the game? What cfw are you on? You should be trying to run it through SLPS 02180.

Also I will give you another converter to use. Looking back over some things it seems that autopopstation4 actually yields the best results for ff8.
    AutoPopstation4 - Tools & Utilities (on PC) - PSP - QuickJump Downloads

When you download it read the readme! it may need some dll files to run. So download them from dll-files.com...

Plus make sure that you are using an NTSC version of the game. Grab a working image off the net (not piracy if you own the game for all you idiots out there)... Because sooooo many people rip the images from their game discs wrong...

You will most likely experience a FREEZE in the opening fmv, when using pops 3.90 (If you don't know what I am talking about with pops then please search popsloader).. For the start of the game you will need to use 3.71, 3.72. You could use them through the whole game, but they have slowdown in some battles etc. 3.90 will yield the best results but some FMV's will cause issue. That will not be a problems as you can use 3.71 pops to bypass this. Also note that it is not a whole lot of FMV's... Ones know to cause issue are. Starting FMV, the one near the end of disc one with Edea, while quistist's team is at the top of the tower, the Lunar cry FMV at tears point... So make sure you save your game before these FMV's and turn off your psp, change to 3.71 pops. and your sweet.

So steps for you to do.
    1. Get NTSC disc images that are flawless! (if you game freezes in the squall, rinoa dance then you got a faulty image)
    2. Convert using autopopstation4 with Dino Crisiss (J) Game ID SLPS 02180
    3. Install popsloader if you haven't already for you cfw.
    4. Use 3.90 pops to start the game and most probably initiate a freeze in the first FMV (in many ways you want this to happen!)
    5. Reset and run the game through 3.71 pops to get past the FMV, save asap and change to 3.90 pops.

This should have you happily running the game!

Also you should for each seperate disc KEEP THE SAME GAME ID... No reason to make multi disc eboot. First try with single discs. If this still doesn't work then we can try and make a multi disc eboot and see if it is more stable. But for now go with single disc.

Let me know how you go,

Also note. That if you used SLPS 02180 and saved the game, then used a different converter, you will most likely have issues... So if this happens you will want to delete your saves. Which will be in /PSP/SAVEDATA/"GAMEID"

But if you haven't been far enough to save on that game ID then you should be fine... But running games through different converters CAN cause problems with saves that were through another EBOOT if used by another converter. (this is RARE, but possible)... Just another little tip.
    Last edited by cheema201; 03-30-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Tutorial
    Popsloader Installation guide
    Step by Step Popsloader installation guide

Pandora for all PSP lovers.. this is wat we have been waiting for
    Pandora Linux Handheld

Interested in having a little fun with the Final Fantasy games? Check out my code thread
    Exploiting Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 7 Remake
    Remake Final Fantasy 7 Petition