Thread: PSP Basics: Q&A

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 PSP Basics: Q&A 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker lommer's Avatar
    Questions And Answers

-ROOT OF THE MEMORYSTICK:
    the first page when you open your memory stick drive... where you see the folder "PSP" "MP_ROOT" "MUSIC" this is a picture of the root of memostick:
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...r2/root2-1.gif

-XMB : The main menu of the PSP.

Q:What can I do with the PSP?
    A:What you can do with the PSP depends entirely on what firmware version it is running.

Q:Wich File Formats Supported By PSP ?
    A:-Video: UMD MPEG-4 (MP4) -Music: UMD MP3 ATRAC3 MP4 WAV WMA -Photo & Image: UMD jpeg tiff gif png bmp

Q:What is devhook?
    A:emulating firmware ,This application can load alternate firmware versions from dumps without affecting the PSP's actual firmware by mounting flash0, flash1 to a directory on the memory stick pro duo, then executing a firmware reboot, which then loads the emulated firmware.

Other Questions go to Help!

Q:What is homebrew?
    A:Homebrew refers to programs such as games,emulators, utility software, and the like, that are made at home by individual people

Q: Downgrade? What's that?
    A: Downgrading is where you install a firmware version on your PSP that has a lower number than the version you currently have installed. Going from version 2.71 to version 1.50, for example, is a downgrade. Downgrading is not officially supported by Sony. In fact, Sony has taken steps to prevent users from downgrading. Downgrading takes advantages of holes in the PSP's security to force the changes on the system. Thus, you must be very careful when downgrading, because you could permanently damage your PSP.

Q:My Psp crashed after downgrading and won't turn back on what do i do?
    A:Nothing, because there is nothing you can do. If the motherboard has crashed you have bricked your PSP and you either need to get a new motherboard or a mod chip(not for ta-082) for your PSP.

Q:How to determine a TA-82 psp and firmwares from the box ?
    A:How to play onlie

Q: How do I check what Firmware Version I have?
    A: To check the version of your system firmware, select "System Settings" under Settings from the home menu, and then select "System Information". Your System Version, and your PSP NickName.

Q: Do i have a ta-082 mobo?and how to check it?
    A:To tell if your PSP has a TA-082 motherboard, first turn it around to the back and pop open the UMD door. Look for the edge of green circuit board sticking out above the metal bits that hold the UMD.

Look at the top right of the green circuit board . There may or may not be copper-colored lettering there. Look on the right side, but not as far over . There could also be lettering there.
    If the code "IC1003" appears on the right, your mother board is a TA-082.
    If only the code "IC6001" appears on the left , you have a TA-081 motherboard or look at ph34r m3!

Q: I have PSP with a TA-082 motherboard... can I use 3.40OE-A firmware?
    A: Yes, if you've already downgraded your TA-082 to 1.50 using Dark_Alex' easy downgrader: broan lara 1999 on psp

or manually: PSP Filer V2.8

Q: I have 2.71. How do I downgrade to 1.50 so I can use custom firmware?
    A: 2.71 easy downgrader not for ta-082!!!
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/755
    below 2.71 i suggest upgrading first to 2.71

Q: I have 2.81 or 3.03. can I upgrade to 3.40OE-A ?
    A: Yes you can upgrade to this firmware but first you must downgrade to 1.50. (requires the unpatched GTA LCS game)
    2.81 user must upgrade first to 3.03!!

Q: I already have 1.50. Why should I bother upgrading to 3.40OE-A ? Is this better?
    A: This firmware combines the homebrew freedom of 1.50 with all of the new features introduced in all of the firmware up to 3.40. Basically, you get the best of both worlds. Better, actually, since 3.40 OE-A includes brand new features like the ability to run games which you've backed up from your UMD to your memory card, and playing psx games,corrupted data icon hiding, and a recovery menu to make your PSP effectively unbrickable. Simply put, this is the safest and most feature-rich firmware ever released.

Q: I have 3.02 OE. Should I even bother with this?
    A: I suggest upgrading. This version has some nice improvements, such as improved homebrew compatibilty, improved compatibility and compression for Playstation games, and improved support for Wifi cpu speed.
    acces to flashes 0 and 1 via usb in the recovery menu.

Q: I have 3.03 OE-B. Should I install the 3.03 OE-C update?
    A: There isn't really a reason not to. The update includes fixes to the recovery menu, and a CPU clockspeed selection option for XMB and backup UMDs.

Q: What are the limitations of using this firmware?
    A: Compared with 1.50, there are no missing features. However, compared to the official 3.40 update, there are a few things absent here. This firmware doesn't include support for the Location Free player and it doesn't include support for the Korean language. Removing these features was necessary to free up space required to run homebrew.

Q:I've heard that there is an auto-installer for 3.40OE-A firmware, so I don't have to go through all these steps.
    yes, help....noob..

Q: How do i compress/convert psx iso games for 3.40OE?
    A: you need software for that use popstation http://pspupdates.qj.net/IceTea-v1-3/pg/49/aid/81767

Q: I tried this firmware, and I really don't like it. How do I downgrade back to 1.50?
    A: Use the following procedure:

Copy the folder RECOVERY from inside the "recovery" folder you just downloaded at http://www.zshare.net/download/11068432434fb8/ to /PSP/GAME/

Start your PSP in recovery mode

In the Recovery menu, choose "Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP". This will flash the 1.50 EBOOT to your PSP. Don't shutdown the PSP and don't remove the memory stick until the update is finished.

Once finished, shutdown the psp and restart manually to 1.50

Q: Alright, I updated. Can I delete the files and folders I used to install this update from my memory stick?
    A: Yes, they've already done their job. Feel free to remove them all from your memory stick.

Q: How do I enter Recovery Mode?
    A: Turn your PSP off by holding the power switch for several seconds. When you turn it on, hold the right trigger until you enter the recovery menu.
    Recovery menu guide:
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/showthr...933#post136933

Q: Alright, I'm new at this. How do I run homebrew?
    A: To run homebrew, place the homebrew in a folder called "GAME150" which you must create inside the "PSP" directory of your memory stick. If the homebrew was Kxploited (meaning it comes in two folders instead of one), you need to copy over both folders into the "GAME150" directory. To run the hombrew, go to the "GAME" menu inside your PSP, and look inside the memory stick icon. It should be there. In order to run homebrew from the GAME folder, you need to change a setting in the recovery menu. Restart the PSP and enter Recovery Mode. Choose "Configuration". Change the "Game folder homebrew" to use the "1.50 Kernel". Restart your PSP. Now you can place 1.50, 1.00, and 2.00 homebrew in the GAME folder and it will run.

Q: Some of my homebrew has these "Corrupted Data" icons! How do I get rid of them?
    A: Restart your PSP in Recovery Mode. Choose "Configuration". Change the "Hide corrupt icons" to use be "Enabled". Restart your PSP.They will be gone. However, the best way to do it is to make sure the homebrew you're installing doesn't require two folders to run. The best way to do this is to download homebrew marked as "for 1.00" or "for 2.00". That stuff will work without needing two folders, thus it will work without displaying corrupted icons.

For firmwares www.psp-hacks.com http://pspupdates.qj.net/
    Homebrew www.Noobz.eu

not bad, some good info

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Yeah, this is good, thanks a bunch. We needed this.

Mods, please sticky?

any good info is welcome for the update

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Q:What is devhook?
    A:devhook is a program which allow u to play "homebrew" game for all other Questions go here http://www.pspmod.com/forums/showthr...highlight=easy
    devhook emulates higher firmware and allows you to play iso's and cso's on firmware 1.5.. thats what should be put for the answer.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    changed the title of the thread and stickied it. keep it up to date

aslo, let me know when u update the thread so i can reflect it in the title
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Quote Originally Posted by julie
    changed the title of the thread and stickied it. keep it up to date
    thank you julie

8. #8 No Recovery Mode for 3.03 ? 
    Yes, I'm a freakin' noob but not stupid ( I don't think...)
    No matter what I do I cannot access Recovery Mode with v. 3.03
    Any help appreciated.
    And I have no idea how to determine "a" or "e"
    And to save the time of anyone helping me, I do not have access to a PC.

O.K. - sorry for the waste of time, I have since learned that if I have the official v. 3.03 that I am screwed.
    Thanks anyway.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    Amazing lonner. I did my upgrade to 3.02 OE-A ... OE-b with your GUIDES! and they are the BEST out there.

I cant wait to get a bigger mem card (recently I own a 32mb) to use your new guide to upgrade to 3.03 OE-B.

Thanks a lot man! You really did help me a lot! out of all the guides ive seen yours are by far the easiest ones.

goed gedaan lommer!!

Senior Member I Modded My PSP rc3477's Avatar
    you should add: whats the root of the memory stick?
    seem to get that question asked a lot....

Quote Originally Posted by rc3477
    you should add: whats the root of the memory stick?
    seem to get that question asked a lot....
    thnx rc3477 its updated now

Senior Member I Modded My PSP rc3477's Avatar
    ofcourse, ha its funny though someone make a thread about it just today ha.

Quote Originally Posted by rc3477
    ofcourse, ha its funny though someone make a thread about it just today ha.
    yeah you`re right! and i wanted to put it in my thread when you told me about that question of the root, but i didn`t have any space in the thread ..but now i deleted some tekst because the 3.03 downgrade is now possible

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    One thing that should be added is

1. What is flash0 and flash1 ?

2. How do you acess flash1 and flash0 manually? That is with 3.03 OE-C on recovery mode.

MMmm well that not very basic now that I see.... but who knows

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast