Thread: How to rip UMDs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 How to rip UMDs 
    Remember Reach PSP Mad Hacker Fanryu's Avatar
    This guide will show you how to rip UMDs using your PSP.

By following the steps in this guide you agree that you will NOT sell/give your ISO's or CSO's away. This is considered Piracy and is illegal and against the rules of this site.

Things you will need:
    A PSP with CFW installed.
    A USB cable that connects to the PSP.
    A UMD OF YOUR OWN
    A computer
    A Memory Stick in your PSP at all times.
    Step 1

Before you continue, I must add that you will need a memory stick BEFORE you can rip your UMD to the PC. If you do not have a memory stick, first of all why would you want to rip the UMD, and second of all...It won't work (Thanks to vladthegiant for notifying me of this)

Go to the XMB and press select to bring up the VSH menu. When you do this you will get this screen:

Go to USB Device and press right/left until you get to UMD Disk.

Step 2

Make sure your UMD is in the UMD drive and exit the VSH menu. Now go to USB connection and wait for your PC to detect your PSP

Step 3

If you did everything right when you open up the root of your PSP you will see ONLY the ISO in the folder. No worries your Memory stick still has all of it's files. Your PSP isn't reading from the Memory Stick it's reading from the UMD drive.

Step 4

You will want to now copy your ISO to your desktop Remember, do not give away your ISO or sell it. This is against the law!
    When that is done close out of your PSP's window. Press O on your PSP and you will be back on your XMB screen. Press select again and go to the VSH menu. Go back down to USB Device and select Memory Stick again. Now your PSP will read from the Memory Stick again! Congrats you have successfully ripped a UMD from your PSP. If you would like to compress your ISO (Takes up less room) Scroll down to Step 5. If you do not wish to compress you are ready to insert your ISO into your Memory stick's ISO folder

Step 5 (Optional) Compressing your ISO

Firstly you will need an ISO compressor program which you can get here

Frosthax says you can use this program to compress your ISOs too! Here is a link for another compressor, credit goes to Frosthax Download ISO Compressor

(Please don't ask me for help using the compressor Frost provided, I have never used it.)

Download the program and execute the exe and follow the setup until it's done. Open up the ISO Compressor. Click Open at the bottom. It will ask for the ISO file that you wish to convert. Find the ISO and go to it and choose it. Now press start and it will take a little while. After it is finished go to where you had your ISO and you now have a file with a .CSO extension. This is your compressed ISO. Now plug your PSP into your PC and go to the ISO folder. Put the CSO in that folder and voila! You are done. Go to your memory stick under games and you should have your game displayed right there. You now have a compressed ISO that you may used for your gaming pleasure.

Note: Not all games will work in CSO form. Some games must be in ISO.
    Last edited by Fanryu; 02-25-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Changed title

If there is a way for me to just put the guide in the guide section please let me know.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Fayko's Avatar
    Nice nice man lol Glad when the guy asked you how u decided to make this guide we need one
    10/10

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Yeah good guide, lots of people still aren't aware this feature is built into custom firmware and still use homebrew apps to do it.

Yeah boy! Glad I can help in anyway. If this site wasn't around I would have probably given up on getting CFW and then...Well I wouldn't have CFW and I wouldn't be modding my PSP. If anyone wants to put this in there SIG when it gets put into guide (Hopefully) you can. I know I'm going to

♥ man ass PSP Elite Hacker carp's Avatar
    i moved it
    I'm a fag.

Can you change the title to "How to rip a UMD with your PSP"

Junior Member PSP User
    Thats a great guide, thanks PSPModCenter. Now I wont have to carry all my UMDs around with me when I go away, just copy them all on to my memory stick.

Just 1 thing though I went to the link for the ISO Compressor, downloaded it then installed it and tried to start it up and an error window came up and said something wasnt gonna start. But I just found a different program to compress ISOs with. I can post a link if you want but its on a different PSP hacks site.

9. #9 excellent hint 
    rat
    I have now ripped the I robot movie and I will put into a dvd with image burn, tks a lot, now I can see this movie in a big flat screen.

10. #10 rip UMD´s 
    rat
    he he I think I ran to fast, I created an ISO of the video UMD but guess what ??? I cannot encoded to put it on a DVD. I had tried,dvd decrypter, but it just create another image but not dvd files. does anyone has any idea how to rip a video UMD and put it into a normal DVD ?

Tks anyway if anyone has a clue on this.

Rat

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    As far as i know, the video on UMD movies are encoded in MP4 format, so you'd need to convert the video to MPEG2 if you want to put it on a normal DVD, but it would be far simpler just to buy the film on DVD.

Also, the resolution of the UMD is much lower than DVD (480x272 vs 720x480/576) so it won't look very good on a big screen.

EDIT: Just checked my free Spiderman 2 UMD, and it is actually full screen resolution, but it is indeed AVC/MP4 video, and would require encoding. It's also pretty low bitrate.
    Last edited by Killer; 12-29-2008 at 09:50 PM.

12. #12 Umd Rip 
    rat
    Hi Killer,

Tks for the info, you are right if the UMD is already on MPEG4, I do not need to convert it anymore. well at least was a try, I had some UMD movies that suddenly I got the idea to put them on DVD to then save the money and do not buy the DVD with a movie that I already have for the psp.

anyway tks for the info

Rat

13. #13 issue i found 
    hey guys, great guide, one thing i noticed is that you have to have a Ms in the psp to work >< just for those that couldnt figure it out if it asks about a MS not being in, you have to have a MS in the psp to even have the comp rip the umd.

again this may be tedious but there are those that may not figure it out so quickly =)

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Bio Syntax's Avatar
    Does anyone know of a ciso utility that works on windows P pro SP 3. It works for vista, XP sp1 sp1, even x64 vista for me, but not a single one works for me since I've installed Win XP Pro SP3
    I am from the Bio-Designs Team. Check out our site- www.thebiostyle.com
    -----------------------------------

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Bio Syntax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killer3737 View Post
    As far as i know, the video on UMD movies are encoded in MP4 format, so you'd need to convert the video to MPEG2 if you want to put it on a normal DVD, but it would be far simpler just to buy the film on DVD.

Also, the resolution of the UMD is much lower than DVD (480x272 vs 720x480/576) so it won't look very good on a big screen.

EDIT: Just checked my free Spiderman 2 UMD, and it is actually full screen resolution, but it is indeed AVC/MP4 video, and would require encoding. It's also pretty low bitrate.
    Super did it pretty good 4 me to put it on a DVD, but the movie doesn't look the best, so buying the DVD's is better. Its probably since SUPER does everything (but like crap). There are better encoders pacifically meant to convert stuff to dvd format
    I am from the Bio-Designs Team. Check out our site- www.thebiostyle.com
    -----------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast