Thread: How-To: Switchable Pandora PSP-Slim Battery (Hard-Mod)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    so I looked at my battery and i think i got the error

The silver strip on the right marked contact are away so i think it have no cantact at this ponit. maybe i can repair this.

Can u post the link where u get the plan of the battery. or how u know that u have to connect these two points ? Is this the GND ???

Same method like broke away the leg of the smd????

Thank U !!!!
    Attached Images

my batt became permanent pandora too..lol..the switch that i made wasn't even connected at any one time but it became a pandora..

Junior Member PSP User
    Yes, I think that something went wrong with the
    soldering of one of my fat batteries, too.
    Something got too hot too long

You can use this "forever pandoras" wih the
    "PSP normal boot loader for pandora's battery"
    Just look for it in the internet as i still can't post links here...

ps: The "Made in Japan" batteries can also be modded this way!

4. #34 I did this a little differently. 
    The solder on the resistor ( or what ever it is) was too week. When I secured the switch down it pulled all of the solder off the connection. With nothing left to solder too I followed the copper trails to the corresponding legs of the chip above and soldered the wires to those legs. This made for a very strong connection because it gave me metal to solder the wire to instead of just solder. The battery works great.
    BTW I used .015" dia. Silver-Bearing Solder from Radio Shack. The Silver helps make a strong connection and the size is perfect for those little legs.

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by messerrt View Post
    The solder on the resistor ( or what ever it is) was too week. When I secured the switch down it pulled all of the solder off the connection. With nothing left to solder too I followed the copper trails to the corresponding legs of the chip above and soldered the wires to those legs. This made for a very strong connection because it gave me metal to solder the wire to instead of just solder. The battery works great.
    BTW I used .015" dia. Silver-Bearing Solder from Radio Shack. The Silver helps make a strong connection and the size is perfect for those little legs.

Could you post some picture?

Junior Member PSP User
    JayL "Don't leave your soldering iron on the contacts too long,
    as this will destroy the parts.
    " Could you explain what you mean exactly by this? Aren't you suppose to get a wire the bridge the contact and secure it? so what exactly do you mean don't leave the "iron on the contacts too long"?

yeahh...
    so i've got a cool question
    i have a slim, and im doin this
    im opening the battery with a box cutter, cuz thats what the other guide sed to use, and im being really careful
    all the sudden, it breaks through(im assuming) and a spark flies out and a small amount of smoke.
    it begins to heat up, and gets moderately hot, and stays like that, its been about 20 mins and it finally cooled down.
    should i try n pandora it now, or throw it away and get a new battery?

@ ThePope:

I'm guessing even though you were being careful you weren't being careful enough... you probably punctured the lithium cell, hence the sparking... I've hard-modded my slim battery this way but was careful enough NOT to puncture my cell...

I think it would be best for you to CHUCK YOUR BATTERY AWAY... Knowing it has already sparked I don't think anyone can guarantee it won't blow up or set on fire... So throw it away and buy a new battery... careful not to puncture the cell next time...

But note I'm still not exactly sure what caused the sparking... it might have been entirely something else...

my pandora hard mod w/switch was a failure.
    it totally killed my battery. i dont know what happened, i was careful not to fry the damn thing. it would have been a very nice mod too had it worked.
    i used the the switch from a lexar memory stick with write protect on the back, testing the points to make sure i would solder it right. things went smoothly and beautifully, but the mod was a failure.
    so sad, i really wanted it to work. now i have to buy me a new battery.

here are the pics.
    BTW i used the battery that came with the psp. also, my psp wasnt bricked, i just wanted to downgrade to a homebrew cfw.

the conceiled switch. i decided i wouldnt bore a hole for the switch marring the good looks of it and would just have to open the battery to switch it and tape it back up.

close up

taped up

prognosis [FAIL] - in short, if you see this, then u killed the battery. like i did.

luckily, your psp should still work using the plug.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG? OR DID I JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE A PANDORA-PROOF BATTERY?

i can still use the battery for gameplay IF i started up my psp with the plug first, then insert the battery and then unplug it, it will resume using the battery, and it can still charge this way but the battery cannot start up the psp.
    Last edited by dogafin; 04-11-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    @ dogafin

Assuming that in you 4th pic your pandora switch is still ON then your mod is NOT a failure........ Cos you power light is ON ............. If youve screwed the battery then it shouldnt be lit ........... Furthermore it shouldnt even work when you remove the power code......... I am guessing you battery is OK

There may be few reason why your pandora menu is not showing up :-
    1) You may not have made the magic memory stick properly
    2) You may have inserted the magic memory stick after inserting the battery
    3) In PSP SLIM model sometimes you'd have to do a blind install...... meaning the pandora menu is there but is not shown in the screen ....... In that case you just have to press X after the memory card indicator stops blinking right after inserting the battery.......... This will start the cfw installation which will last for 2-3 minutes

.............. My advice will be to try once more keeping in mind the above factors............... & Can you tell which setup file you have used to make Magic Memory stick & what is the model no. of your battery ?
    Firmware History :- PSP Slim with OFW 3.72 => 3.71 M33 => 3.71 M33-4 => 3.90 M33 => 3.90 M33-3 => 4.01 M33 => 4.01 M33-2

Senior Member I Modded My PSP crazyeye941's Avatar
    wow 1st post legend here, good job =]
    OFW 3.72 -> OFW 3.90 -> Bricked -> CFW 3.71 -> CFW 3.90 M33-3 ->CFW 4.01 m33-2 -> CFW 5.00 m33 -> 5.00m33-3
    PSP Mobo - TA-085 & TA-081

Total Amount of PSP's Hacked: 4

heh heh yeeaa! i did this mod too, but i thought i would be really cool with mine

you see i have no little switch so i did the next best thing, i deslodered a bunch of pins from a really old motherboard and made a jumper configuration instead of a switch! haha! im a genious! i wish i had a camera to show off with, but i dont...

the jumper works perfectly, but i have another problem, i cut pin 5 a few months before trying this. i fixed pin 5 using a pencil, but it went to crap and now its a perminant pandora, but im using time machine so its ok... any tips on fixing a COMPLETELY REMOVED PIN 5?

Quote Originally Posted by jack_rudolph View Post
    @ dogafin

Assuming that in you 4th pic your pandora switch is still ON then your mod is NOT a failure........ Cos you power light is ON ............. If youve screwed the battery then it shouldnt be lit ........... Furthermore it shouldnt even work when you remove the power code......... I am guessing you battery is OK

There may be few reason why your pandora menu is not showing up :-
    1) You may not have made the magic memory stick properly
    2) You may have inserted the magic memory stick after inserting the battery
    3) In PSP SLIM model sometimes you'd have to do a blind install...... meaning the pandora menu is there but is not shown in the screen ....... In that case you just have to press X after the memory card indicator stops blinking right after inserting the battery.......... This will start the cfw installation which will last for 2-3 minutes

.............. My advice will be to try once more keeping in mind the above factors............... & Can you tell which setup file you have used to make Magic Memory stick & what is the model no. of your battery ?
    you are a life saver! my battery was fine after all! you were right, my psp was in blind mode - so i pressed the x button and saw indicator lights go on for like a minute or so and let it do its thing and prayed to god my psp hasnt been bricked. i thought my battery was completely useless so i did everything i could possibly do to it, cut the 5th pin and derailed, i also took off the switch! had i known it was perfectly fine i would have left it like that! ppl need to be reminded that a blind install could be a possibility, someone from youtube had told me im pretty much effed if i only see a green light with a black screen, i guess he doesnt know about the blind install and have led alot of ppl to think theyve done it completely wrong. now i dont know how to fix my battery lol! i guess its a permanent pandora now, w.c is still great since now i know i could still put it to good use. wow, im completely amazed! my psp is now running on 3.71 m33 from a 3.93 official fw!! my nickname is now Xi-Bit. i used the totalnewbieinstaller to make the memstick, i didnt even have to touch the memory stick or run whatever was on there, honestly i still dont understand it, im still researching actually! i dont know what happened but your information have helped me alot!!! aside from not knowing anything with what im doing. im comfortable with the hard mod since ive been modding gameboys in my time and soldering all kinds of things broken.. wow i so could hug you right now! im a chick btw w.c is funny, i shouldnt know anything about soldering right? lol. well anyway i guess hacking the motorola v3 help me understand quite a bit about downgrading and stuff like that, its the process that i have trouble with. but thank you so much. that little piece of information really saved my life i am forever indebted to you!

now, i shall try to revive my battery lol

what i did to it was overkill! but it still worked! i guess u cant go wrong in pandorizing it. it is the psp that is tricky! thanks sony. i think they did that in purpose. sure did fool me!

Quote Originally Posted by dogafin View Post
    you are a life saver! my battery was fine after all! you were right, my psp was in blind mode - so i pressed the x button and saw indicator lights go on for like a minute or so and let it do its thing and prayed to god my psp hasnt been bricked. i thought my battery was completely useless so i did everything i could possibly do to it, cut the 5th pin and derailed, i also took off the switch! had i known it was perfectly fine i would have left it like that! ppl need to be reminded that a blind install could be a possibility, someone from youtube had told me im pretty much effed if i only see a green light with a black screen, i guess he doesnt know about the blind install and have led alot of ppl to think theyve done it completely wrong. now i dont know how to fix my battery lol! i guess its a permanent pandora now, w.c is still great since now i know i could still put it to good use. wow, im completely amazed! my psp is now running on 3.71 m33 from a 3.93 official fw!! my nickname is now Xi-Bit. i used the totalnewbieinstaller to make the memstick, i didnt even have to touch the memory stick or run whatever was on there, honestly i still dont understand it, im still researching actually! i dont know what happened but your information have helped me alot!!! aside from not knowing anything with what im doing. im comfortable with the hard mod since ive been modding gameboys in my time and soldering all kinds of things broken.. wow i so could hug you right now! im a chick btw w.c is funny, i shouldnt know anything about soldering right? lol. well anyway i guess hacking the motorola v3 help me understand quite a bit about downgrading and stuff like that, its the process that i have trouble with. but thank you so much. that little piece of information really saved my life i am forever indebted to you!

now, i shall try to revive my battery lol

what i did to it was overkill! but it still worked! i guess u cant go wrong in pandorizing it. it is the psp that is tricky! thanks sony. i think they did that in purpose. sure did fool me!
    I'm glad i could help ......... & BTW since you have cut the 5th pin i would not recommend you to resolder it back in place to revive your battery back to normal if you are thinking about it.... cos very few people managed to successfully resolder it back to place without shorting the nearby pin ....... If you want to use your hard modded pandora battery as a normal battery, one way is (Which you have been using) to start the psp with power cord and then inserting the battery........... The other way is to install Dark Alex's TIME MACHINE software in your memory card...... It's main use is to load previously released firmwares from the memory stick using a Pandora's battery.. but it could also be use to normally boot the psp from internal flash memory using pandora battery & memory stick with time machine software in it ......... It'll be helpfull to use your pandora battery like normal battery when you are on move & there's no power adaptor........ But since you are new to whole psp hacking scene i would suggest you to do a lot of research if you want to attempt this .......... Well then ..... GOOD LUCK & Have Fun with your CFW !!!
    Last edited by jack_rudolph; 04-12-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Firmware History :- PSP Slim with OFW 3.72 => 3.71 M33 => 3.71 M33-4 => 3.90 M33 => 3.90 M33-3 => 4.01 M33 => 4.01 M33-2

would using a completely striped wire taken from an old microphone work if it is taped to the two contacts? Because if yes, im good, if no, I need to get some wire I can use

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast