Thread: m2 8GB memory stick

1. #1 m2 8GB memory stick 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Has anyone had any issues with the 8gb version of the m2 (+adapter, of course)?
    Reason I'm asking is because I read somewhere in the past that the PSP had issues with Memory sticks with more than 4gb, but since that doesn't apply for pro duo, I'm wondering if it does for the m2.

KmR
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker KmR's Avatar
    Yes it works, my friend has one. The size limitation increases along with firmware updates.
    Google.com - Man's best friend.
    Prizerebel.com - Free shit. It works. Received $183.864 worth of prizes so far.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    It's not that it doesn't apply for pro duo's, it's a limitation (or used to be) within the PSP's firmware. Older firmwares, don't know the numbers, didn't support anything over 4gb. Anything past 3.52 can take 8gb, and 3.71 and higher can support at least 16.

If you really want to save some cash, look into the mspd->microsd adapters...$8 investment, and microsd's are literally half the price of the equivalent in any flavor of memory stick.
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP cecil1knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Intergalactic Captain View Post

If you really want to save some cash, look into the mspd->microsd adapters...$8 investment, and microsd's are literally half the price of the equivalent in any flavor of memory stick.
    Woa! Do those work well? if so, I will definitely buy one!
    Keep on Rockin' in a Free World!

Junior Member PSP User
    Thanks for the replies concerning firmware.
    That's pretty much was what I expected, but I really didn't feel like shipping items back and forth because I couldn't ask a simple question :P

Anyhow, I checked in on MicroSD's as well as M2's, and where I live (Europe, Sweden), I can get hold of an M2+Adapter for cheaper than an MicroSD+Adapter.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Skandis - Firmware doesn't matter anymore, and neither does magicgate. Both are relics of the past. The only issue you MIGHT run into is if you try to format an 8gig stick on a firmware that can only handle 4, but even then it will still work but only see the stick as being 4gig.

Cecil - Yes, they work like a charm. I've been using one (on the second actually, the full-size SDHC mod requires some soldering that's apparently above my level when intoxicated ). A few people here have switched, but all the "you need magicgate" garbage out there is too ingrained in people's minds. And yes, they work fine for homebrews, iso's, and pandora (all tested personally).
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

7. #7 8Gb memory stick 
    I am using firmware 4.01 M33 and recently bought a 8Gb memory stick off ebay (it looks like a new one)
    I formatted the mem stick with the PSP and loaded some ISO's it seems to be hit and miss what games it recognises, I know all the games work because I have tried them on the 2Gb mem stick.
    The 8Gb mem stick will only see a maximum of four games or no greater than 4Gb of ISO's.

My psp is a slim and light only had it modded about three weeks ago... any help solving this (8Gb mem stick) problem would be appreciated

Senior Member I Modded My PSP cecil1knight's Avatar
    Cecil - Yes, they work like a charm. I've been using one (on the second actually, the full-size SDHC mod requires some soldering that's apparently above my level when intoxicated ). A few people here have switched, but all the "you need magicgate" garbage out there is too ingrained in people's minds. And yes, they work fine for homebrews, iso's, and pandora (all tested personally).
    Awesome! When I get my paycheck I am going to test this for myself . Do you have any suggestions on where I should get the adapter?

@Kristos690-
    I have heard this problem before. You likely bought a memory with hacked memory. I know someone who bought an 8GB off eBay, but it had hacked memory, and anything after 4GB that he put on it was corrupted
    Keep on Rockin' in a Free World!

Junior Member PSP User shedimus's Avatar
    Hey dudes,

I bought the Sony-8GB-Pro-Duo Mark2 from a reputable site (not ebay), and it is well worth it:
    • Write speeds of 15 Mbps
    • Read speed up to 160 Mbps

Its mentally quick, games load very fast and transferring your data onto it doesn't take long.

I recommend it

Great site, keep up all the good work!
    Too Orangey for Crows
    Moded slim running latest cfw thanks to all at psp mods!

Senior Member I Modded My PSP hayd3r's Avatar
    yes it works as far as my friends, friend told me

11. #11 8Gb Cards and PSP slim 
    Using 4.01 M33-2 any 8Gb card is supported.

I am using Micro SD with a Kingston duo adapter. The 8Gb card has a read speed of about 15 Mb/sec.

Things to watch for:

Use FAT16 as the filesystem by accident, and it will look like it works but it won't - games will play up and nothing over 4Gb works.

USE FAT32!! Preferably LBA in the boot table and the partition must be prepared for FAT32!!

When formatting FAT 32, use 16 sector clusters of 512 bytes each, then it will work ok - swap between M33 and ISO9660 modes for different games and avoid some game movies for stability.

One more thing - if its a little unstable, just play a movie for a few minutes after a game crash, then it will be ok again.

I think these issues will be all cleaned up in future versions - the thing about about 16 sector clusters is important for speed, use this and its as fast as smaller cards, if not faster (due to faster raw card speed)

orac.
    Last edited by orac; 09-04-2008 at 01:47 PM.

12. #12 MagicGate does matter with PSP go 
    Guys - all of the Playstation Store, game downloads, registration of "go", PS3 and PSP functions will require MagicGate.

There should be anti-counterfeit protection as well - this will check for a valid M2 before continuing. Many of the Sony Handycams already have this protection and it is all based on MG-R.

Formatviolation

Skandis - Firmware doesn't matter anymore, and neither does magicgate. Both are relics of the past. The only issue you MIGHT run into is if you try to format an 8gig stick on a firmware that can only handle 4, but even then it will still work but only see the stick as being 4gig.