Thread: In search of...

1. #1 In search of... 
    some assistance.

SONY IS MAKING THINGS WAY TOOO DIFFICULT!

i recently hit up Game Crazy and i was in store looking for a PSP. i really looked into getting the Star Wars PSP, but it has become a rare commodity since they came out with the madden, ratchet & clank psp, etc. or i was even willing to stick with a brand new piano black psp. anyways i lucked out and they had a white psp, the star wars psp, USED! dream come true?! maybe...

prior to that, i've done a little research as far as mods goes etc. but it's been quite difficult looking for a reliable source. from my assumptions it looks like a pandora's battery and a magic memory stick is only going to save me.

as a noob to the psp downgrading, i have several questions:

is it possible to downgrade from a stock firmware of 4.05 to 1.50?

if upgradeable would i be able to play umd psp games and roms/isos?

if i download several psp/psx games with the respected emulators, from torrents etc, would i be able to save to a memory stick and play them?

what is a recommended firmware to use? the lower the better like 1.50 or should i be looking for a 2.X, 3.X, 4.X firmware?

can i switch from firmware to firmware, and if so is that recommended?

if i play a psp game that asks to me upgrade the firmware, can i always downgrade to play homebrew roms, isos, emulators?

for music and videos, can i just play avi/mp3 files straight from the memory stick?

by videos i mean like downloaded from torrent .avi formats or does it have to be converted to be compatible for the PSP?

i'm quite overwhelmed, seeing how that i'm not that PSP savvy, your help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you all in advanced.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Bewood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisNerdGotSoul View Post
    some assistance.

SONY IS MAKING THINGS WAY TOOO DIFFICULT!

i recently hit up Game Crazy and i was in store looking for a PSP. i really looked into getting the Star Wars PSP, but it has become a rare commodity since they came out with the madden, ratchet & clank psp, etc. or i was even willing to stick with a brand new piano black psp. anyways i lucked out and they had a white psp, the star wars psp, USED! dream come true?! maybe...

prior to that, i've done a little research as far as mods goes etc. but it's been quite difficult looking for a reliable source. from my assumptions it looks like a pandora's battery and a magic memory stick is only going to save me.

as a noob to the psp downgrading, i have several questions:

is it possible to downgrade from a stock firmware of 4.05 to 1.50?

Yes you can downgrade, seeing how it is a star wars, but not to 1.50.

if upgradeable would i be able to play umd psp games and roms/isos?

Yes, but at 4.05 you are going to want to downgrade to 4.01m33

if i download several psp/psx games with the respected emulators, from torrents etc, would i be able to save to a memory stick and play them?

If you somehow obtain them, you can play them from the memory stick.

what is a recommended firmware to use? the lower the better like 1.50 or should i be looking for a 2.X, 3.X, 4.X firmware?

4.01m33

can i switch from firmware to firmware, and if so is that recommended?

It is stupid and pointless unless there is a REAL need.

if i play a psp game that asks to me upgrade the firmware, can i always downgrade to play homebrew roms, isos, emulators?

4.01m33 plays all homebrew/roms/isos/emulators. (mostly)

for music and videos, can i just play avi/mp3 files straight from the memory stick?

MP3 yes, AVI no.

by videos i mean like downloaded from torrent .avi formats or does it have to be converted to be compatible for the PSP?

You must use a PSP Converting tool.

i'm quite overwhelmed, seeing how that i'm not that PSP savvy, your help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you all in advanced.
    There are your answers.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Jadedsoul's Avatar
    If you search on this board you would have found most of those answers..

first of all why would you downgrade to 1.50? most people will tell you to go to 3.71m33-2 or 4.01 m33-2

once you're on custom firmware you would be able to play games from UMD as well as backedup ISOs or their compressed CSO format

if you use the right emulator for the right firmware then you can play the psx games

why the heck would you switch from firmware to firmware on a regular basis..? O_o just stick with a stable one like 3.71m33-2 or 4.01m33-2

most homebrews has version that run on 3.71, 3.90 or 4.01 firmwares.. so you wouldn't need to keep switching firmwares (troublesome and not advisable)

psp has it's own mp4 format .. it does NOT play avi or any other format. it does play mp3 though

LOL Bewood
    -shrugs-

like i said, brand new to the psp mod stuff. it looks like a 4.01 m33-2 is the way to go.

so playing on a custom firmware such as the 4.01 m33-2, i would be able to play off nes/snes/sega/psx emulators, roms, isos, and downloaded psp games AND play store bought psp games?

with the right emulators yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadedsoul View Post
    with the right emulators yes.
    do the the snex9x, nester, epsxe emulators work well with CFW 4.01 m33-2?
    because thats what im running on my laptop/desktop.

and i didnt get a response as to playing actual UMDs with the CFW 4.01 m33-2 without it asking me to upgrade to a higher firmware?

4.01 would run all the games at the moment as far as I am aware. Original UMDs as well as backups.

as for the emulators I wouldn't have a clue. My exams are just round the corner so I haven't bothered with those yet. But if you ask around, or search for it.. you would find them... many people are running emulators on 4.01m33-2 however they would be different from the ones for your computer I think. Like MAME, Popsloader uhm... whatever can't remember XD

Quote Originally Posted by Jadedsoul View Post
    4.01 would run all the games at the moment as far as I am aware. Original UMDs as well as backups.

as for the emulators I wouldn't have a clue. My exams are just round the corner so I haven't bothered with those yet. But if you ask around, or search for it.. you would find them... many people are running emulators on 4.01m33-2 however they would be different from the ones for your computer I think. Like MAME, Popsloader uhm... whatever can't remember XD
    Emulators run fine.

thanks for the help. much appreciated. most importanly good luck on your exams!

Quote Originally Posted by DisNerdGotSoul View Post
    thanks for the help. much appreciated. most importanly good luck on your exams!
    Good luck to you mate.

Haha more importantly I have a 3000 word proposal due midnight tomorrow XD Thanks =D

Good luck on getting your psp to work =)

Jaded, this will sound really noob of me, but when i set up my MMS do i use/can i use the same card for storing all my music/videos/roms/emulators/isos etc?

Once you have gone to cfw, you can format your mem stick and just load whatever you want onto it.

alright cool, but i should have a back up of the MMS, just INCASE i ACCIDENTALLY update the firmware, would you agree?

If you want to keep backup pandora and MMS with you at all times then use a much smaller mem stick for the MMS or use the rain's MMS maker.

Rains MMS maker lets you use the pandora battery normally if you don't hold L to start it up. Just merely copying your MMS files into your mem stick will not turn it into a MMS however as it needs the IPL injected