Thread: No Disc Reading

1. #1 No Disc Reading 
    Okay, I just bought a used psp 3001 (or 3000, I don't know if that difference really matters, lol).

Anyways, it won't read any umd's at all.

I have an original (fat) psp, and it makes a good bit of noise when reading (I can at least hear the disc spinning and such). So I know this is a much newer model, but there's not a single sound coming out of it.

Nada.

So to me it seems like the disc isn't even spinning or the lens isn't moving in order to read the disc. I've tried several different umd's all with the same result. Nothing.

Any clue as to what might be causing this?

Do I have any options? It is used, so I don't really know about warranties or anything of the sort.

Is that a whale?! PSP Elite Hacker fuckingclassy's Avatar
    My most obvious guess is a bad UMD driver. Honestly, I'd just stick with your PSP 1000, hack it instead. Confront your seller to see what's up. That's all I got man.
    Nintendo Emulators || LED Modifications
    Disclaimer:
    Everything that this user says is fictional and for entertainment purposes only

KmR
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker KmR's Avatar
    Vanz, you said UMD driver, I know you meant UMD drive, but one could misinterpret that and just change the UMD driver mode thinking that's the problem.

Anyways, EvolHA, I agree with Vanz, the drive appears to be dead. You could always buy a replacement UMD 3000 drive online however. This would alleviate the need to get a new PSP, but you're going to need to find a UMD drive and have the technical know-how to be able to tackle the replacement portion of this project.

I found a link as an example of what you need to replace.

PSP-3000 UMD Drive : Qisahn.com: Buy cheap PSP PS3 WII NDSL in Singapore

And here's a terrific tutorial on how to actually do the replacement.

Installing PSP 3000 UMD Drive - iFixit
    Last edited by KmR; 06-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Google.com - Man's best friend.
    Prizerebel.com - Free shit. It works. Received $183.864 worth of prizes so far.

L
    First try this, open the UMD door and look in from the top. To the left of the center of the drive, there should be a little brownish/greyish lever...........do you see it??. If you see it, while the PSP is on in the XMB, press down on the lever and your laser should light up and the loading icon in the lower right hand corner should come on. Let me know what happens.

Okay. Thanks for the quick and useful responses guys.

KmR, that is very useful, and thank you for the links. I will have to look a little bit more into that. May need to do that. It's looking like I will have to.

And El Guapo, I did what you said. Saw the grey lever. I'm not sure 100% what you meant by the psp being in XMB, but I turned it on and just went to the main menu area and pushed it down. Nothing lit up and there were no loading icons on the screen so...

L
    I would hate to say that you have a bad UMD drive and then you buy one and you still have the same problem, but it seems that way to me. sometimes that little lever I was mentioning breaks off thus rendering its UMD reading capabilities useless. When you pushed it down all the way did the lazer even light up???

No. Absolutely nothing happened. I think I'll look into repairing it. Or maybe see if I can just pick up a working used one somewhere. Thanks again .

L
    If I remember correctly, the ribbon cable from the UMD drive to the mobo has a compression connection. That means that it doesnt have a flip up lever like the other ones but a sleeve that slips under the ribbon cable to keep it tight. make sure that its tight.