Thread: PSP 2001 stuck at animated Wave screen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PSP 2001 stuck at animated Wave screen 
    Hi All,

First post here after picking up a used (and damaged) PSP 2001 really cheap. I have just the PSP, charger, and memory stick. No games or other UMDs. I don't have any other experience with hacking PSPs other than what I've learned from reading a bunch of hacking guides on the internet.

Backstory: The PSP I picked up was apparently working fine until the owner dropped it one day. Landed on the edge with the power switch. From that point on, it won't load past the wave screen, even if you let it sit for hours.

So I figured that it was worth a shot to completely disassemble, check for any obvious damage, and check all the connections. I didn't find any damage, put it all back together, and still stuck at the wave screen.

The PSP was already running CFW 5.0 M33 so I tried to flash it back to the latest OFW by making the original battery into a Pandora. I got the latest OFW on there and it still does the same thing at the wave screen. I put CFW back on it, same thing. Change the UMD mode to M33 or Sony NP9660 driver, same thing.

The only other thing that I read that may be related is that the unit is stuck looking for the UMD drive. That is when I changed it to the M33 driver with the same results. I also tried just disconnecting the UMD drive, but that didn't help either.

Other than the small scuff at the side of the unit, this 2001 looks pretty pristine. The screen is nice a bright, and the button actions are nice. Be a shame if I can't fix it.

Anyone have anything else to try to get it working?

Thanks in advance!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    only time i seen that type of problem was because of a faulty umd drive. if there was a game inside and it couldn't read it, it would be stuck on that screen, you said you disabled it but was there a game in the umd drive or no?
    [CENTER]

Graphics Designer I Modded My PSP Bartman's Avatar
    if theres a memory stick inside take it out because your memory stick maybe a bit faulty this happened with mine as well :P
    Want a sig? PM me with what you want and I'll see what i can do

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    I had the same problem and the solution was simple. Install 5.50gen3 and then 4.01m33 then to whatever one you want. it fixed my problem. if this doesnt help pm me and ill take a look.

Canadian Taco PSP Mad Hacker Jose Burrito Gu's Avatar
    power it off completely, then hold the r trigger while starting it up, go to advanced, then select "format flash 1 and reset settings"

Jose's plan might also work. Try that first and if no success then try mine. no hurt in trying

Sorry not to reply earlier!

Ok, so I've done the "format flash 1 and reset settings" deal and it did not work.

I tried without the memory stick inserted and no go.

I just used HellCat recovery to reformat and go to 5.50gen3. Still goes to the wave screen after installing the firmware.

From there, I'm not quite sure how to launch the 4.01m33 updater. Using the option in Hellcat to launch an app from another folder, I select the update folder, it reboots, and gives me a message about "game cannot be started" so I hit the "o" button and it drops into the full menu. I try to go into the game menu and launch the 4.01m33. It does the color splash launch screen then just displays the PSP on white forever. Have to rebook after I left it for 20 minutes.

Upon power off reboot, still back as the wave screen...

some progress...

Thanks

Oh, and motherboard is TA-085

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Have you tried testing cfw when doing the mms and pandora method? Try doing this to see if you can get past the wave screen.

Try recovering your nand.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xx_BrokenRoses_xX View Post
    Try recovering your nand.
    well if he never backed it up, he can't do that method...i'd try an id storage fix with the mms/pandora if all other ideas fail.
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    well if he never backed it up, he can't do that method...i'd try an id storage fix with the mms/pandora if all other ideas fail.
    Backing up nand is kind common sence when messing w/ firmware and such. I agree trying id storage
    thou.

welllll..... no, I have no nand backup. I've been learning on the fly and didn't know to back it up. Plus, when I got it, it was already flashed to CFW and screwed up, so I would never have been able to get a real nand backup.

Ok, so I just booted off the mms with my pandora battery and ran the create new IDStorage. Rebooted and no dice.

and thanks for all the help so far guys

Doing the test M33 using MMS just hangs at the wave.

So is there any way to go back to completely factory defaults? Any combination of software and procedures to go through to get there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast