Thread: PC Tech PSP

1. #1 PC Tech PSP 
    Im a computer tech, think geek squad except cooler and competent. (no offense) Anyway, during my job I use my psp alot. Mostly for backing up data via the usb, or testing a wireless signal. Im wondering if anyone else has kicked it up a notch or has any recommendations for other usb software I should put on my psp. Maybe theres some homebrew out there designed specifically for this.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Chris3d's Avatar
    I don't know about the USB software, but you might want to stop using the psp to check wifi signal. Every computer / laptop I have with wifi gets 3x signal strength compared to my PSP (and usually further away from the source).

Interesting. I wonder if theres a way to improve the psp's antenna strength. Maybe crack her open and solder longer wires that wrap around the edges.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Brock_Samson's Avatar
    It really matters on the signal of the wifi you tapping, Conventional wifi from residents are very low for the psp. If your testing Military or Industrial wifi you'll notice the signal referance a lot stronger than a normal wifi system.

Residential signal strength is about 2.5DB or less and runs a good signal for 25-30Feet of optimum range. Where as Industrial Wifi runs at 5.0DB minimum ranging 50-100 Feet of range, and with military wifi signals go upwards of 12.5DB cover +250 Feet of range. The psp's antenna may actually be poor, but under the right conditions it's fine. There is guides on how to increase the antenna strength of the psp, but it can be costly.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    and then there's MIMO wifi which amplifies signal bounces and give a much larger signal range

Senior Member I Modded My PSP linkinworm's Avatar
    iv done the wifi antena upgrade using a pigtail or my byvoyager's antena, i can get about 250m of range from my house with a signal at around 70/80%