Thread: UMD Video Conversion

1. #1 UMD Video Conversion 
    Hi there

I'd like to be able to view some of my UMD Movies also on my laptop. I can get the UMD video ISO onto my PC quite easily however does anyone know of any software that will allow me to convert it to MP4, MKV etc?

Having just ran DVDFab against the ISO file I can generate the MP4, MKV file but there is no audio!!!!

Anyone out there assist? I am running firmware 6.6 ME version on an original PSP1001

Thanks in advance.

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    older post but let me just say that scaling the resolution of a umd movie up to that of a laptop is going to make it look like absolute shit on your laptop. your psp is 480X272 and if your laptop is 1280X768 then its a massive jump up in scale, and going to look really grainy. same is true when connecting a psp to a tv using the AV output cables.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diabolic-mind View Post
    older post but let me just say that scaling the resolution of a umd movie up to that of a laptop is going to make it look like absolute shit on your laptop. your psp is 480X272 and if your laptop is 1280X768 then its a massive jump up in scale, and going to look really grainy. same is true when connecting a psp to a tv using the AV output cables.
    I think he was only asking if it's possible to convert the movie to another format without the audio being dropped.

I'd give Handbrake a try. But like diabolic said, it's going to look like utter shit on anything that isn't a PSP. Even standard DVDs tend to run 720x480 resolution and they already look terrible on 720p or higher screens. A UMD movie is pushing roughly one-third of that resolution (this is because 480x272 actually works out to be around 1/3rd of 720x480 in terms of total pixels used.)

A plus to all of this is that the end filesize will be really tiny if you use h.264