Thread: my psp buttons are malfunctioning

1. #1 my psp buttons are malfunctioning 
    Member PSP User
    I replaced my psp shell case and buttons for new ones, all the buttons that i had worked perfectly fine they were just stained and a bit old, the psp case was in horrible condition though so now my psp looks brand new and shiny.

The buttons work fine while i am on the main psp menu but when i launch a game it moves by itself. Like for example on a street fighter game the character just keep jumping up and i am not pressing nor touching anything. The directional pad
    seem unresponsive at times while playing games too. All the buttons in the bottom by ''home'' work perfectly fine.

I just dont get why the buttons only malfunction while playing games and not from the main psp menu, if it matters i had
    some pieces of metal leftover which i did not know where exactly to put but like i already stated the buttons work fine
    from the psp menu, only when starting games is when the problem arises.

Anyone who has replaced shell cases and all the buttons know how to fix this?

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    what pieces of metal are left over? when you say you replaced the case do you mean just the front face plate or the front faceplate and rear shell? there shouldnt be any left over pieces of metal. from the sounds of it the "left over" pieces of metal are the grounds for the mobo.

which model psp is this? and is it a aftermarket case, or is it a OEM (original equipment manufacturer) case? its possible that the replacement parts that you got are slightly mis shaped and causing the physical buttons to make just enough contact with the button contacts causing it to input controls automatically. if you replaced the back half of the psp shell also then it is possible that you may have damaged the X, O, /\, [], buttons contact piece while removing it. it is a delicate piece and i have damaged them in the past removing them (psp 2K, psp 3K models).

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by diabolic-mind View Post
    what pieces of metal are left over? when you say you replaced the case do you mean just the front face plate or the front faceplate and rear shell? there shouldnt be any left over pieces of metal. from the sounds of it the "left over" pieces of metal are the grounds for the mobo.

which model psp is this? and is it a aftermarket case, or is it a OEM (original equipment manufacturer) case? its possible that the replacement parts that you got are slightly mis shaped and causing the physical buttons to make just enough contact with the button contacts causing it to input controls automatically. if you replaced the back half of the psp shell also then it is possible that you may have damaged the X, O, /\, [], buttons contact piece while removing it. it is a delicate piece and i have damaged them in the past removing them (psp 2K, psp 3K models).
    the pieces left over were 2 metal things with lots of holes and one thing rectangular longish piece ( imagine a shape of the back bumper of a car). this is a 2001 model, and the case i bought is an aftermarket case seeing as if i would have gotten one directly from sony it would have cost me ALOT more.

I replaced the whole shell case which is front and back, and all the buttons. If the buttons are damage how you say they could be how can this be fixed? Please take into account i am not going to waste alot of money replacing these parts seeing as i already get a fantastic price on psp's in horrible condition and i just ''fix them up''

as for the piece that looks like th bumper of a car i am not sure, take a picture of it and that will help. the two pices with holes in them are the ground pieces that i thought you were talking about. the bigger one goes under the motherboard on the upper left side. when yo lift the motherboard out, flip it over and you will be able to line up the little metal tabs that stick out from the metal piece with the little brass pads on the motherboard. this should help you get the proper orientation of how to install it into the psp. the smaller metal piece goes on the front of the motherboard on the upper left side. again with the front piece use the little metal tabs and align them with the brass pads on the mobo. there should be a little piece of tape that attaches it and holds it in place. if there isnt you can use a small pice of tape and stick it on the right side the metal piece to hold it in place.

as for the bumper piece that may be the screen brace, it goes along the top edge of the case, with the large part that sticks out of it to the far left, and the little nub in the center. if that is the proper piece, a pic would help. any more questions just ask. if your absolutely stumped i can do a teardown on cam for you on tinychat.com/pspmod.

Member PSP User
    i don't have a webcam, but if you can show me how to do it on cam it would be great. The bumper piece i refer i believe is to hold the top screen or something but the thing is this piece does not fit.

ill see if i can take pictures of this and upload them

L
    Is this a 1000?

Member PSP User
    missing pieces.jpgpink psp.jpgpink psp 2.jpgpink psp 3.jpg

ok so here are the pictures

they show the pieces that i was leftover with, the psp 2001 built with the new case from different angles, the case itself looks pretty good for the price but as you can tell the umd back cover pops out a little..

L
    Those 3 pieces need to be back into the PSP. The long one goes at the top of the PSP, between the LCD and the case. The 2 swiss cheese looking pieces go as follows; the retangular one goes on top of the mobo and the other goes underneath the mobo

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Those 3 pieces need to be back into the PSP. The long one goes at the top of the PSP, between the LCD and the case. The 2 swiss cheese looking pieces go as follows; the retangular one goes on top of the mobo and the other goes underneath the mobo
    the long one does not fit in the case, i actually had to carve parts of the inside of the case to make things fit..

also what are those cheese pieces for actually? will it fix the button problem i am having? I cant even ''click'' on the top L and R buttons they seem stuck.
    Last edited by seaman; 11-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.

those aftermarket cases usually need alot of adjustment to get a proper fit, meaning that you need to shave some of the plastic here and there to get a proper fit and for things to function properly. the "swiss cheese" looking pieces are for grounding the psp motherboard. the metal piece will fit into the top of the case, as i said before you need to put the wider part that stics out of it on the left side, it sits tightly between the top edge of the mobo and the case.