Thread: psp hacking

1. #1 psp hacking 
    Member PSP User
    i'm not exactly sure what is meant by psp " hacking" but i guess it enhances the machine in someway... more games to play?
    and the 3000 cant be hacked right. is it still worth getting then?

Hacking means replacing the built-in software on your PSP with software that has additional and different features. For instance it might allow you to play "homebrew", which is games and applications programmed by the players and unofficial coders not licensed by Sony.

You CAN hack 3000 models, what you will have trouble doing is applying a permanent modification. Instead you will want to get a software package that you launch every time to shut down your PSP completely and turn it back on.

Member PSP User
    so it'd be like on a pc how windows media lets you watch movies, you install a software on the 3000 that lets you play games.

cool. so can you play games from other devices? (that have been like encoded or something or that emulator thing)
    sorry i'm a noob lol

Member PSP User
    oh and also i see there is a section called "homebrew" and a section called "emulators" so i guess they are different?
    is it possible to play the ps2 games i have on a psp? (does it depend what psp?)

There are certain emulators, yes. I'm sure you can find some with a quick Google search.

The PSP actually comes with a PS1 emulator already. Since it was made by Sony it is obviously going to work very well, so if you're interested in playing your old PS1 games that's another thing you can do if you decide to use custom firmware.

PS2 games are a little more difficult. The PSP isn't really powerful enough to play them, especially not with user programmed emulators.

The difference between emulators and homebrew is that an emulator is just an application that lets you play older games, while homebrew games are stand-alone games programmed specifically for the PSP.
    Last edited by tracerbullet; 11-16-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Member PSP User
    i guess we dont advertise them on the forum?
    every time i search for stuff on google i get stupid vids on youtube of fakers literally "putting" (as in laying) ps2 games on their psp. "how to put ps2 games on a psp" oooh so clever. >=/
    ppl on this site seem to actually know what they're talking about.