Thread: PSP-1001, OFW 3.71, "The memory stick could not be read" (080010005)."

1. #1 PSP-1001, OFW 3.71, "The memory stick could not be read" (080010005)." 
    Well, this is annoying...

I bought a used PSP-1001 that appears to be in excellent condition - not a scratch on it. It currently has Sony's OFW 3.71 installed. Various games, web browser, video playback, etc work just fine.

I tried copying a few different CFWs to the folder /PSP/GAME/UPDATE, but when I try to install them, I see a message "The memory stick could not be read" (080010005).

I've tried formatting the mem stick and that makes no difference. I've tried doing a network upgrade, and the latest OFW seems to download and save to the mem stick, but again, conks out during the install process with the error message above.

A Google search tells me this could be a faulty memory stick, but I've tried copying a 500-MB video file to the mem stick, and the PSP plays it back just fine. I can also put dozens of JPEG photos on the memstick, and there's no issue there either.

Could the mem stick have some fault that lets the PSP play MP4s and JPEGs, yet won't let you install either an OFW or a CFW? I don't see how that could be...

Member PSP User
    Hmm very interesting..I think I may know what the problem is. Whatever cfw your trying to install, you must be on that same ofw. So lets say you want 6.20 cfw. Well then you need to be on 6.20 ofw before installing the cfw. The only other thing I can think of trying to install a pro cfw through the PSP/GAME folder. These just go in your PSP game folder. They don't go in the update folder. But make sure your on the corresponding ofw.

Well, it's strange. I have OFW 3.71, right? I have even tried doing an upgrade to OFW 3.80, but that gives me the same error as mentioned above.
    I've also formatted the mem stick to make sure it does not have any corrupted files, and done a network upgrade from Sony, which of course tries to install OFW 6.60
    Again, it fails with the same "Memory card can not be read".

As mentioned, I would normally think this is a faulty mem stick, but I've put a 500-MB MP4 movie on the same stick and have been able to watch the entire movie without issue, so I can't see that the mem stick is faulty...

L
    Do you know anyone with a pandoras/MMS combo?

No... I've noticed a couple of guys advertising on the local craigslist that they do mods for PSP. I think I'm going to end up taking it to one of them to see if they can fix it.

L
    Are you in California??, send me that PSP and I'll flash whatever CFW you want for free

No, I am in Canada. I contacted one guy who does PSP mods and he has a Pandora battery. I described the problem to him, and he said he thought it could fix it plus set up CFW and some emus for $10. Seems okay to me.

Member PSP User
    where in canada do you live? i could also do it for you for free if you are nearby. I wouldnt mind helping out. Im in Ontario.

Victoria.
    I found a local modder who fixed the problem using a Pandora's battery. All fixed now, and I am runing CFW 6.60
    Last edited by LS650; 11-21-2011 at 04:54 AM.