Thread: I've got a few questions regarding the PSP 1000 and modification...

1. #1 I've got a few questions regarding the PSP 1000 and modification... 
    I will be buying an original PSP 1000 or 1001 within a few days. My roommate has a large collection of ISOs on his hard drive which I would like to put onto memory sticks and play from there on my own PSP. (Not pirated, he owns the actual UMDs). I've got a few questions regarding the process and what I should/shouldn't be doing. I've read a lot about using custom firmware to play the games, but I'm not sure about the following things. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions below. I have no interest in doing things like using emulators on the PSP, I only want to be able to play regular games, just with the digital file (iso or whatever) from my computer. In addition, I'm assuming the firmware on the device will be the latest firmware available for the 1000 or 1001 once I get it. (It is used)

- Is any hardware modification required?
    - Can any software modifications be done via a Mac computer?
    - What type of modification should I be doing?
    - When I've loaded custom firmware, what if a certain game requires even later firmware?
    - What are the risks of modification? Can they be reversed, and the PSP unmodded?

Links to any tutorials would be great. Any help is appreciated.

Kudos.
    Last edited by 420; 01-02-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 420 View Post
    I will be buying an original PSP 1000 or 1001 within a few days. My roommate has a large collection of ISOs on his hard drive which I would like to put onto memory sticks and play from there on my own PSP. (Not pirated, he owns the actual UMDs). I've got a few questions regarding the process and what I should/shouldn't be doing. I've read a lot about using custom firmware to play the games, but I'm not sure about the following things. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions below. I have no interest in doing things like using emulators on the PSP, I only want to be able to play regular games, just with the digital file (iso or whatever) from my computer. In addition, I'm assuming the firmware on the device will be the latest firmware available for the 1000 or 1001 once I get it. (It is used)

- Is any hardware modification required?
    - Can any software modifications be done via a Mac computer?
    - What type of modification should I be doing?
    - When I've loaded custom firmware, what if a certain game requires even later firmware?
    - What are the risks of modification? Can they be reversed, and the PSP unmodded?

Links to any tutorials would be great. Any help is appreciated.

Kudos.
    1. no
    2. yes
    3. 6.60 ME 1.6
    4. shouldn't be a problem since you would be on the latest firmware
    5. if done incorrectly, brick. You should be able to run the installer again, and uninstall it, but I don't have a 1000 to test it on.

6.60 Official firmware: 6.60 OFW - Downloads - PSPMOD.com - PSP Forum, Hack PSP, PSV Hacks, PS Vita Hack, PSVita

6.60ME 1.6: 6.60ME-1.6 (OFW Version) - Downloads - PSPMOD.com - PSP Forum, Hack PSP, PSV Hacks, PS Vita Hack, PSVita

also, even if your friend owns the UMDs, you still don't, which makes it pirating. I shouldn't even be helping you do that, but I will because it's an easy search away, and you would probably figure it out anyway.

EDIT: I should also mention that the fine for getting caught pirating is a possible $250,000 dollar fine in the US...
    Last edited by Josh443; 01-02-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Yurhero01's Avatar
    Answers:

1.Yes Theres only one hardware mod,you need to make an pandora battery on your spare battery go to PIRATES Sig and look for how to make a Pandora Battery

2.Of Coarse you could done this in any kind of OS just you will need some programs like Winrar.

3.Software mod,You will need to download the Version 6.60 Official Sony PSP Update on Sony's website,and this is custom fimware for version 6.60 http://www.pspmod.com/forums/downloa...0713d3c0c21e1d
    Place the "me_installer" folder into your "GAME" folder on your memory stick and execute from your PSP. Follow any on screen instructions and when it re-boots, you will be on 6.60ME-1.6

4.well in my answer in no.4 that is the latest fimware that sony build so you dont need to update right now .

5.The risk of PSP software modification is:if you did it incorrect your psp may malfunction or what they called Brick,They can be reverse using Downgrading Programs you can back to Official Fimware Version 1.00,it Depends on what CFW you have now if you have a GEN you need to bypass it by running its Gen Updater and if you run it a 10 options will be written there choose the install Official Sony Version 5.50 Update and if you have m33 fimware you could just update your Official fimware higher than your Custom fimware (example:3.70 m33-Version 4.01)

Thanks to:
    Pirate:for the amazing guides

Thanks for the info Josh, I appreciate it. Although pirating isn't illegal where I live, so it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

Also, would you mind sending me a link to a tutorial on how to actually perform the software mod?

Quote Originally Posted by 420 View Post
    Thanks for the info Josh, I appreciate it. Although pirating isn't illegal where I live, so it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

Also, would you mind sending me a link to a tutorial on how to actually perform the software mod?
    It's pretty easy. Just update the firmware(if you need to), and then run the custom firmware installer, which can be ran off of the PSP.