Thread: UMD Battery MOD?

1. #1 UMD Battery MOD? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Hello there as i have searchd the internet about this UMD battery mod where you put an extra battery inside the UMD compartment still cant find a proof if can still be charged using the psp charder normally with the extra battery inside, so i want to try the mod myself, but before that i need some answeres please help me... i have 2 BL-6c 1200mAh each battery from n0k1A i parallel wired it to each other without taking the protection board, is it okay to parallel wire the two to the main battery? and will it charge normally?

Junior Member PSP User
    No, the parallel battery trick is DANGEROUS unless you use batteries of the SAME CAPACITY.
    For example, you cannot safely use a 1200mAH and 1800mAH battery in parallel; if both of them were the same capacity, you could (so either 1200 & 1200 or 1800 & 1800).

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I did it, but I thought outside the ̶b̶o̶x̶ PSP, I had a USB battery
    Double taped it to the back of the umd door, hooked up a USB to psp cable, and voila!
    Note, it's obviously easier to get a 5v battery and wire it to the charge port
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ThEliteCommando; 01-10-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added foto

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    more than likely the lipo inside the usb battery charger is 3.6volt, and probably has a much higher mah than the psp battery. take it apart, remove the board from it, now open your psp battery, remove the board from the psp lipo, wire the usb batter lipo to the psp battery board. as for fitting it, it might fit in the umd bay, if it is slightly to long then the thin plastic wall that seperates the battery compartment from the umd bay could be cut out and it could lay across the two compartments. just an idea

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Quote Originally Posted by diabolic-mind View Post
    more than likely the lipo inside the usb battery charger is 3.6volt, and probably has a much higher mah than the psp battery. take it apart, remove the board from it, now open your psp battery, remove the board from the psp lipo, wire the usb batter lipo to the psp battery board. as for fitting it, it might fit in the umd bay, if it is slightly to long then the thin plastic wall that seperates the battery compartment from the umd bay could be cut out and it could lay across the two compartments. just an idea
    Wow, your right (almost) the battery is 3.7V, with a 3500mah capacity (3000 slim has 1200mah)
    Unfortunaly, the company that made the batteries double taped the battery on, and my battery just went up in smoke from trying to take it out, (wearing gas mask right now)

I think I'll make a new thread as soon as I find some adhesive remover

--edit---
    check out my upcoming mod, inspired by this thread
    PSP 3000 UMD Battery mod (ACTUAL MOD)
    Last edited by ThEliteCommando; 01-30-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Found some adhesive remover

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!

3.6v-3.7v, the .1 difference wont make any drastic difference, under load that voltage probably jumps +/- by .5 volts

Junior Member PSP User
    I have 4 cells of 2.2Ah Li-ion cells from a laptop battery pack (the batteries are fine, but the IC inside the pack failed). You'll achieve optimum play time if you use batteries from high-current drawing devices (like laptops), and since the PSP doesn't use much current compared to a laptop for example, you'll get a LOT of play time from those.

Member PSP User
    question is though, will they fit into a PSP?

are the li-ion cells your talking about the ones that look like bigger AA batteries? pretty sure if they are they wont fit into a psp

Junior Member PSP User
    Yes, the giant AA looking ones lol. Of course they wont fit inside it, but you can have it externally.

true you could do that, however i think the idea these guys are going for is to have the mod inside the psp to keep its original apperance.