Thread: Thinking of buying a PSP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Thinking of buying a PSP 
    Member PSP User
    Hello all, I've been lurking about the forums lately and I am still a little confused as I've never hacked or modded a psp. I do not currently own a PSP and I'm thinking about ordering a used one off of amazon. That being said, I know that the 2000 and 3000 models have a higher chance of carrying Ta88v3 mother boards and are not permanently hackable as you have to reinstall the CFW after reloading.

Basically, I need some clarification on the following:

Does it necessarily matter which system I purchase?

(1000 seems more hacker friendly but it's also a very old model and I'll likely buy something that could crap out soon. I'm thinking about getting a 3000 or 2000... I don't mind if they have the Ta88v3 motherboards so long as I can get firmware running on them.)

Whenever the system does shut down and you have to reinstall the CFW, does this mean that you lose your game saves?

Also, since I am purchasing a used model from amazon, if the console has already been updated to the newest OFW by Sony, regardless of it being 1000,2000, or 3000, will I still be able to install CFW with Chickhen? Do stable downgrades exist?

Any other advice or commentaries will be greatly appreciated.

Member PSP User
    Also, are the daxter, star wars battlefront edition 2000 psp's hackable?

Hey sapienz!, I'll take a stab:

You should definitely buy a psp! You'll get more entertainment bang for your buck than you can possibly imagine. To answer your questions:

#1-It really does not matter which system you purchase. The latest CFW (Custom Firmware) and LCFW (Light Custom Firmware) can work with any unit - so no worries there. If the unit turns out to have a Ta88v3 (late model 2000 / 3000 unit) you'll just be installing LCFW.

#2-Once you install LCFW, you only need to run a quick (6 second) program to re-initialize the system if it was powered down. You won't need to do this if they system was just 'sleeping'. Game saves are stored on the memory card - so you certainly won't lose them.

#3-I have not had to downgrade - but that should be no problem. As far as I know - you just need to install the correct Official Firmware (6.60) first - and then run your CFW/LCFW. Perhaps some one else can chime in on this.

#4-Yes. daxter, star wars, god of ware, etc., editions are all hackable.

To sum up: ALL psp's are hackable - it's just a matter of whether you will be installing permanent CFW or LCFW. Good luck!

Member PSP User
    Hey David,

Thanks for the the feedback. I decided to be safe and go with a star wars 2000 psp. I could still cancel the order though :/

Is there really much of difference between a 2000 & 3000?

I also ordered this memory stick combo, does anyone know if this will work with firmware:
    Amazon.com: 32GB 32G 16GB x2 SanDisk MicroSD MicroSDHC Card with Memory Stick Pro Duo Adapter - Bulk: Computers & Accessories

I apologize if any of this is a repost.

Sapienz:

That sounds great dude! I actually prefer the 2000's. They can be hooked up to a TV (which the 1000's can't). I seem to see scan lines on the 3000's - so I don't prefer them (although people say the 3000 screens are better). The memory adapter you picked should work fine - although I prefer to use single-card adapters like this one (just my personal preference):

Micro SD SDHC TF to Memory Stick MS Pro Duo PSP Adapter | eBay

Note: always do your homework when picking up a used unit. If shopping on e-bay, make sure the seller has 100% feedback - and that they description indicates that all systems are go. Always buy from someone who will allow returns if a problem shows up.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzanemason View Post
    Sapienz:

Note: always do your homework when picking up a used unit. If shopping on e-bay, make sure the seller has 100% feedback - and that they description indicates that all systems are go. Always buy from someone who will allow returns if a problem shows up.
    The seller has 100% feedback but only has three reviews and two are as a buyer :/

I haven't completed the payment yet so I could still back out. I cannot seem to find if he allows returns or now.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    A couple things about eBay...

If you are a buyer, you are protected. You WILL get your money back if something goes wrong.

If the seller does NOT accept returns then that means if there is a problem then the buyer wins a dispute *pretty much* automatically.

Sellers do not have the ability to leave negative feedback.

Member PSP User
    Alright Slowman, that all sounds pretty solid. I decided to go ahead and complete the payment with the seller so hopefully it'll ship soon enough and everything will be working well.

Thanks

Member PSP User
    One more question, I've been reading around and it seems that the star wars psp will require a pandora battery in order to fully hack.
    I noticed that most of these comments were from around 2009, is that still the case or am I fine without the pandora battery?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    You should certainly buy a PSP, it's a ton of bang for your buck. Now is the probably the best time to own one because they're nearing end-of-life and everything is relatively cheap now.

Quote Originally Posted by sapienza89 View Post
    One more question, I've been reading around and it seems that the star wars psp will require a pandora battery in order to fully hack.
    I noticed that most of these comments were from around 2009, is that still the case or am I fine without the pandora battery?
    As I remember it, the Pandora battery was only a temporary solution to get around some firmware updates for which no exploits had yet been found. This might be incorrect, I've been out of the scene for years now. But as I understand it, with the latest official firmware (6.60) no such method is needed as a general exploit has already been found.
    Last edited by DarkED; 01-10-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Psp 3000 vs 2000:
    enhanced screen
    T-95 motherboard (newest, hack able)
    Must be 6.20 or above
    Built in mic

Seeing how this thread is a week or so old, I'd say your cant cancel your order any more, but amazon carries the newest core 3000 for 100$

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEliteCommando View Post
    Psp 3000 vs 2000:
    enhanced screen
    T-95 motherboard (newest, hack able)
    Must be 6.20 or above
    Built in mic

Seeing how this thread is a week or so old, I'd say your cant cancel your order any more, but amazon carries the newest core 3000 for 100$
    Does the newer motherboard really much much of a difference?

I actually read reviews and such online about the differences. Supposedly, a lot of people didn't like the 3000's screen. I decided to get the 2000 vader for this reason and for the fact that I read it was 100% hackable. I'm aware that all psp's may be hackable though... didn't want to take a risk at the time though.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sapienza89 View Post
    Does the newer motherboard really much much of a difference?

I actually read reviews and such online about the differences. Supposedly, a lot of people didn't like the 3000's screen. I decided to get the 2000 vader for this reason and for the fact that I read it was 100% hackable. I'm aware that all psp's may be hackable though... didn't want to take a risk at the time though.
    The only reason motherboard models matter is because it correlates to what kind of custom firmware you can install. All PSPs are now hackable, it's just a question of full (permanent) vs. lite (semi-permanent) custom firmware.

*All PSP-1000s can run full custom firmware.
    *Some PSP-2000s (TA-088v2 and below) can run full custom firmware.
    *Some PSP-2000s (TA-088v3 and above) and all PSP-3000s can only run lite custom firmware.

The only difference that matters is that with lite firmware you must run a loader every time you hard reboot your PSP. It takes about ten seconds and is not a big deal. Sleep mode is unaffected which means you literally never need to run the loader, except after first installing the custom firmware.

As for which is better, well... I quite like the PSP-3000 screen. The whole scan-line debacle isn't as big an issue as people make it out to be, it's actually negligible and I hardly ever notice it. Added with the other features (mic, brighter more colorful screen) it's a no-brainer that the PSP-3000 is the definitive PSP to have.

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    The only reason motherboard models matter is because it correlates to what kind of custom firmware you can install. All PSPs are now hackable, it's just a question of full (permanent) vs. lite (semi-permanent) custom firmware.

*All PSP-1000s can run full custom firmware.
    *Some PSP-2000s (TA-088v2 and below) can run full custom firmware.
    *Some PSP-2000s (TA-088v3 and above) and all PSP-3000s can only run lite custom firmware.

The only difference that matters is that with lite firmware you must run a loader every time you hard reboot your PSP. It takes about ten seconds and is not a big deal. Sleep mode is unaffected which means you literally never need to run the loader, except after first installing the custom firmware.

As for which is better, well... I quite like the PSP-3000 screen. The whole scan-line debacle isn't as big an issue as people make it out to be, it's actually negligible and I hardly ever notice it. Added with the other features (mic, brighter more colorful screen) it's a no-brainer that the PSP-3000 is the definitive PSP to have.
    Oh well, too late

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    i have to agree with darkED about the 3k, i just started using one about 2 months ago and the screen really does look better, color saturation in games is deeper and more vibrant, games really look alot better on it than with the 1k and 2k. and having to re run the launcher if you do a full shutdown really isnt much of an issue. i will say though that i miss the longer battery life of my psp 1000, but i dont miss that the 1000 was significantly heavier than the 3k. i have owned all three models of the psp along with the psp go and i would put them in the following order from best to worst psp 3000, psp 1000, psp 2000, psp go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast