Thread: So I've been thinking about buying another PSP...

1. #1 So I've been thinking about buying another PSP... 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Hi all! It's been a while but you guys know how I like to pop in every few years or so Hopefully I'll become a permanent fixture here at PSPMOD again. I see the Linux section is still alive and kicking, so that's good.

The announcement for the upcoming nVidia Shield has got me missing my PSP a lot lately and I've been checking prices. I haven't had a PSP since maybe late '07 and I haven't been keeping up with PSP development. I have no idea what has changed since then. I'm hoping you guys can help answer some questions about the current state of PSP modding. If I remember correctly I was running 3.40 OE-A when I ditched my last one, so I'm sure there's been a lot of new features added.

I guess my first question is... should I go for a used PSP-2000 or should I just buy a new PSP-3000 core pack?

Once I have it, what's the best custom firmware? ProCFW?

Where can I buy cheap high-capacity Pro Duo cards that work well with the PSP? Or is a Pro Duo -> MicroSD adapter cheaper and/or better? I've looked around on Google but I haven't found any deals on Pro Duo cards and I don't trust eBay. Lots of cheap knockoffs masquerading as real Pro Duo cards on there.

Also, what's the current state of emulators and homebrew for the PSP? I remember the GBA and SNES emulators being quite good in '07, but the N64 emulator didn't run very fast.

Aside from all of that, what new stuff can the PSP do now that it couldn't do back then? And did any decent games ever come out for the PSP? (That last one was kind of a joke, but you oldschoolers know how 'meh' the majority of PSP games were back then.)

Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by DarkED; 01-10-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Hi ,I'm a N̶0̶0̶b̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶! as far as I'm concerned, I would (and did ) get the 3000 system because it's A:newer B: brand new

c: In comparison to the PSP-2000, the PSP-3000 (marketed in PAL areas as "PSP Slim & Light (with enhanced screen + built in microphone)" and still marketed as PSP in North America and Japan) has an improved LCD screen featuring an increased color range, five times the contrast ratio, half the pixel response time to reduce ghosting and blurring effects, new sub-pixel structure, and anti-reflective technology to improve outdoor playability. The disc tray, logos, and buttons have all been redesigned and the system now has a microphone. In addition, all games may now be output by component or composite using the video out cable. (Wikipedia)

The new 3000s (amazon) have 6.60 pre-installed, this is easily modded into CFW with pro-b9/10 (note that you'll have to use the "pro update" every time you cold start [dont worry, it takes like, 5 seconds (litterly)

The cheapest memory card I could find is the photo fast 4500 (it's basically an adapter that takes in 2 micro sd cards, eg 2 8gb micro SD cards + 4500 = 16gb card in the form of a pro duo)
    when buying the micro XD cards, I reccomend class 10/uhc 1 cards, these are the fastest micro sd cards

As for emulators, as far as I'm concerned, n64 is still a *little* bit laggy, But that's due to the pals max speed of 333mhz
    There are also windows and Linux emulators

Games list
    GTA series, final fantasy crisis core, kingdom hearts birth by sleep, gundam vs gundam next plus (offically Japanese only, but there are English patches), dissida/12, motor storm artic, Lego games, star wars battlefront, force unleashed 1/2, Inviniziamles,
    Just google "best psp games g4tv"

And the psp now has a tv tuner, gps and camera attachments
    Also: I belive there are hacks that allow you to use your psp as a second screen

Thanks, that pretty much answers every question I had.

So do you have the PSP-2000?

EDIT: I forgot to ask, do you think going with a MicroSD adapter and card would be cheaper than Pro Duo? Also, if I use a 2x MicroSD adapter like you mentioned, do I need to stay below the 32GB cap (i.e. each card 16GB or less) or can I run two 32GB cards and access them as 64GB or separately? Thanks again
    Last edited by DarkED; 01-10-2013 at 09:26 PM.

L
    It really doesnt matter what PSP you get because they all can use a different type of CFW

I got my PSP. I got a PSP-3001 for $30, and a 4GB Pro Duo to go with it.

Time to start loading it up
    Last edited by DarkED; 01-11-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    I got my PSP. I got a PSP-3001 for $30, and a 4GB Pro Duo to go with it.

Time to start loading it up
    Hah, lucky bastard. I paid 70 euros for my 2000. :/

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaVesko View Post
    Ouch

I did get pretty lucky; all the other ones on craigslist were going for $60+ and a lot of them were missing major things, like the battery or the charger. Mine has everything. When I was on my way to pick it up I was seriously worried that it was too good to be true and this guy was going to rob me

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaVesko View Post
    Haha, I paid 100$ for my 3001 (brand new with 6.60 pre loaded and a TA-95 motherboard) and another 40 for the pro hg duo hx 8gb(genuine)

And the pro hg duo hx has a max of around 50-60, micro sd has a max speed of 10 (note to anyone else reading)
    The good thing about amazon, is that they ave the latest stock, the copyright on the box is 2012 :P

And the psp 3000 has a mic + enhanced screen (I Dunno what's enhanced)
    Last edited by ThEliteCommando; 01-16-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: In soviet Russia, you don't edit post, post edit you

Quote Originally Posted by ThEliteCommando View Post
    And the psp 3000 has a mic + enhanced screen (I Dunno what's enhanced)
    The 3000 screen can produce wider color ranges than the old LCD and also has a slightly brighter backlight. The liquid crystal fill rate is also faster (reduces ghosting.)

Due to the way the new LCD fills pixels there is an issue with interlace lines / scanlines showing up when there is lots of motion on the screen, but the lines are very faint and haven't bothered me much.

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    for the price you simply cant pass on this, comes with the pro duo adapter, and two 16gb sandisk micro sd cards. also comes with a micro sd to usb card reader that is pretty cool. it is however not a genuine photofast cr5400, but it does work perfectly. and the people selling it garantee it to work, personally i think they test it before shipping it to you. i know you dont trust ebay but i ordered the same thing from them and it works perfectly. 2 x 16GB Micro SD HC Cards 32GB MS Pro Duo Memory Stick for PSP 1000 2000 3000 | eBay

beer makes me retardedly retarded PSP Mad Hacker diabolic-mind's Avatar
    oh and i forgot to add, after you do the initial format of the card you end up with 29gb free space. but i have 22 full umd games on my card (iso not cso) one psp mini, a crap load of pictures and i still have 12gb left to fill. so you can certainly fit alot into that card, and all for 24 bucks with free shipping!

i will say however that ive read that alot of the non genuine and some of the genuine photofast card readers do have a tendancy to get corrupted data over time, so on that note it is wise to backup your save game data to your computer at regular intervals that way should something happen, you do have to start from scratch. but i actually tend to do that with pro duo cards as well, just to be safe