Thread: Consolizing a PSP-3000. Possible to automatically force component AV-out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Consolizing a PSP-3000. Possible to automatically force component AV-out? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    Hi PSPMOD-forums. I'm building a consolized PSP-3000 which is going really well. I'll be hooking it up to my HDTV via component cables. At the moment I have to press and hold the Display button down for five seconds to make the PSP output though the AV-out port. This is bearable, but every time it goes to the set time/date screen when powering up, I have to get past that before I can output to the TV. That can be pretty annoying.

I'm running a 6.20 CFW that supports plugins. Unfortunately, as far as I could find there is no plugin that automatically enables TV-out.
    Also I accidentally entered the Recovery Menu of the CFW yesterday when in TV out, and without the LCD screen attached to the PSP, and learned the hard way that this menu doesn't support AV-out.

A plugin or hardware mod that definitively selects AV-out, and preferably for everything (recovery menu) is what I really need to make this project perfect. I'm not interested in having the picture upscaled to fullscreen, as I use a secondary upscaling device (the XRGB-Mini: Framemeister) that does a much better job than the upscaling plugins I've seen.

A plugin that disable the set time/date screen at startup would also be cool, but alas I haven't found any when searching.

Hopefully these things already exists and someone here will be kind enough to show me in the right direction.

Thanks

L
    Do you have any pics of this project your working on?

Junior Member PSP User
    Hi. Sure, but it's on a danish forum, so don't mind the gibberish

Vis os dit mod-tråden : Play:Right Forum

I haven't gotten very far yet, but I've made some good progress on the case itself. I'm using a PStwo because it's not the worst looking console ever made, and it's very easy to change the PS2 logo into a PSP logo
    Tested the Analog stick and it works great. That was really the only part that could have been troublesome if it hadn't worked as I expected. Everything else should be a piece of cake
    Last edited by Konsolkongen; 05-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP MrHappy's Avatar
    try the plugin "remote joy lite", it actually displays the screen via USB to PC.

the recovery menu will also show up most likely, the pro recovery menu via the xmb will, but if your running permanent and you enter recovery from boot it won't.

a lot of people have had problems with this plugin, I can't say that "IT WILL WORK", as you'll need drivers for windows and stuff.

with the plugin you'll get like 20fps, the TV out cable is better, but I've never seen a plugin like you mentioned.
    ♬ Don't Worry... Be Happy! ♬

Junior Member PSP User
    Remote Joy LIte is not an option as I want the PSP to work as a standalone console. I don't want to have to connect it though a PC

Senior Member I Modded My PSP MrHappy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Konsolkongen View Post
    Remote Joy LIte is not an option as I want the PSP to work as a standalone console. I don't want to have to connect it though a PC
    just thought I'd mention it as it is the only way to view the recovery menu if you don't have a LCD screen.
    ♬ Don't Worry... Be Happy! ♬

Junior Member PSP User
    And I appreciate it too

I think I'll build in the LCD screen in the bottom of the unit just in case. It won't be visible, but if needed I'll be able to remove the bottom half of the PStwo shell and view it.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Hey, welcome to the forum! I think what you're after is probably the same thing that game review outlets use to modify handhelds in order to get direct audio/video signals. There are kits you can buy that enable you to grab direct signals and they can be had for many consoles. They use these to capture the gameplay videos and screenshots that you see online. Now where to get a kit like this, I don't know, but they are available. I'll take a look myself and update if I find anything.
    Last edited by Slowman; 05-03-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Junior Member PSP User
    Hi Slowman. I think I've seen similar kits for the DS and 3DS, but both of those requires a connection to a PC for it to work. So that's not much better than Remote Joy lite.
    Don't know if the kit you mention for the PSP works differently though

Here's the thing, neither do I. I've never seen what they look like and I don't know what needs to be done.

Here's where I know of this from though... I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts from various websites. The one I was listening to when they were talking about this was a recent episode of the Giant Bombcast. Maybe you want to contact the show and ask them?

Junior Member PSP User
    Hey thanks again for the suggestion. I'm going to finish building the system first. I can live with manually switching to AV out if it comes to that. But if I have something to show the GiantBomb people, when asking for their help I'm sure they will be more likely to help me out

Thanks again

EDIT: I can always update the system if I find a solution to my "problem" later.

Junior Member PSP User
    Quite a bit of progress have been made in case anyone here is interested:

It also occurred to me that even if I do accidentally enter the recovery menu, either from the XMB or from starup it's just a matter of pressing circle until I'm returned to the XMB

That is super cool. I like that you took the bottom line off the "2" on the top of the console, so it says "PSP" now. Keep us updated!

Junior Member PSP User
    Thank you very much I think and hope that it'll turn out really nice once it's painted. I expect it to be all finished early next week.

Junior Member PSP User
    The project is pretty much finished now. I still have a minor issue with the USB connection, but besides that everything is working perfectly

Will update this page with more pictures later:

Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast