Thread: (SD DUO PRO slot) SDCH card mod help?

1. #1 (SD DUO PRO slot) SDCH card mod help? 
    Hello everyone, I have a little problem here,I lost my SD DUO CARD on a trip whit my school two years ago, and now I want to use my PSP again, but? I want to use a SDHC CARD (MICRO SD CARD adapter, but I donīt know how to connect the wires the right way, and I donīt want to spend any money on this project ether, I have a SD CARD SLOT that I want to mount on/in the PSP but how do I connect them... I hope there are some geniuses out there that can ether tell me the answer, or show me how to do thisDSC_0014.jpg

2. #2 'Tis elementary, my dear Watson. 
    Actually, it's kind of a long, drawn out process, but as I just happen to actually be performing a similar mod (even just took the pictures today; how's that for coincidence?), I will do my best to steer you true. It doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out; just someone fool enough to brazenly destroy enough electronic components, in the name of "science", to pick up a thing or two. Lucky for you, I'm just that sort of fool!

First off, Google is your friend. It's been my friend throughout the ludicrous mod process I have undertaken, and if there's one thing I've figured out by now after several years of stuffing NES clones into cartridges, there's one word (maybe two, depending on your predilections) which which you must familiarize yourself: PINOUT.

A pinout is a specification sheet used to describe what each pin on a connector does. Sometimes, it'll even give you a range of voltage within which that device should operate. I'm not going to get into that part of it, as I am not an electrical engineer; just a guy who has torn apart a lot of electronics to see how they "tick." Anyway, what you would need to know, first off, are the answers to the following questions:

A) How many pins does a pro duo stick have?
    B) How many pins does an SD card have?
    C) What the crap do all these pins do, anyway?

And for that, you should take a look at Google, simply by typing in "MS Pro Duo pinout," and "SD pinout," respectively. The first few images that pop up should be exactly what you're looking for; usually, graphical depictions of the connection point on the cards, with a table to the side, numbering the pins and attributing a task to them.

I'll save you the time, however, and let you know you'll run into a problem here: the pro duo and sd cards have different pins (which, I assume you already know). This can mean several things, and none of them are particularly conducive to a straight Pro-Duo to SD mod, including, but not limited, to:

A) One pin having multiple assignments
    B) Basic architecture of either board is too far proprietary to allow an easy switch.
    C) Standardization of memory devices is a wonderful, fleeting dream.

So, what can you do about it? I suppose if you did enough research, you could dig up a post where someone has step-by-step instructions for this (I know you can find it, as I have before). However, you're -still- using a micro sd card in an SD adapter. As to this, I say cut out the middle man and make life easier for you; do an MS Pro Duo to Micro SD card swap.

20140303_134245.jpg

To do this, you would need to obtain a Pro Duo to Micro SD adapter, as well as a Micro SD port. Both of these may be found on Amazon, Ebay, and many, many other sites, for next to nothing (I think I got my adapter for about 2 dollars, and paid four dollars for two Micro SD ports). I know you stated you don't want to spend any money on this project, but, really, life will be a lot easier for you in the long run if you do. Once you receive these items, you would cut apart (carefully) the plastic case of the adapter, to reveal two sets of pins and a tiny, flexible board. On one side (the larger side) are the pins which connect to the pro duo slot; the others are for the micro sd card.

What you would do then, is hard-wire the pins of the pro-duo slot currently installed in your system (after removing the board from the system, of course) to the corresponding pins on the Pro Duo side of the adapter, and then wire the Micro SD pins on the adapter to the corresponding pins of the Micro SD port. If you are confused at all about which are the "corresponding pins," you can check this by simply inserting the Pro Duo adapter (before tearing it apart, of course ) into its port, and the micro SD card into the Micro SD port. Each pin should make contact, and however they do, those are the pins you wire together. Added bonus: because you're just linking two ports together with an adapter already designed for the system, you aren't adding any unnecessary power drain to the circuits (leastways, no enough as would make any appreciable difference); just some negligible resistance variance in the added wire.

After that, you can mount the Micro SD port however you like. Once again, I am not an electronics "genius," so I must stress that anything you do to your system is AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE SUSTAINED TO YOUR HARDWARE; just do what I do, in the case you brick your PSP; chalk it up to the learning process!

If you want it to hang out of the Pro Duo port, you can do that; though it would be much better if you simply removed the old Pro Duo port. This doesn't have to be done in its entirety (especially since you've just soldered to it), but removing the metal shielding around the port will free up enough space for you to find a spot to mount the new Micro SD port. This could probably be accomplished with a pair of wire cutters or tin snips, but your best bet would be Googling the best way to do this. As the shielding is soldered to the board (as a ground, I think) you will not want to remove all of it anyway. Just give it some thought, and think, logically, what material you can afford to remove.

Now then, to mount the new slot! In my experience, when adding something to a circuit board that wasn't originally intended to be there, and has no good mounting position for it, the old stand-by is an old-fashioned hot glue gun. Hot glue is commonly used in electronics, as it is non-conductive, and adheres very well to most fabricated materials. You'd want to avoid excess amounts, of course, and if you aren't careful, you could squish the glue into the port; filling it to where all you've managed to do is gunk up your port, and brink yourself back to square one.

In this case, a small piece of velcro or double-sided tape may suffice. Just make sure, after you're done with all your wiring, and before you mount the new slot, to wrap ANY exposed wiring, contacts, or exposed surfaces which weren't exposed before you started work (including the region previously inhabited by the Pro Duo slot; don't want the new slot grounding out on the board now, do we?) in something safe, heat/static resistant, and non-conductive. Electrical tape works, though there might be better options out there.

Bleah, long post. Sorry mates; just like to ramble . Hope this helps!

...of course, if anyone out there IS an electrical engineer, and takes umbrage to what I just proposed, I apologize, and prepare myself for seppuku!

3. #3 oh...dead thread... 
    Aaaaaaand...apparently I need to look at the "posted date" before I go writing some dissertation the original poster might never see. Blergs all around :/

Oh well, hopefully it'll help someone .