Thread: Recommended memory storage methods/Better Storage for PSP 1001?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Recommended memory storage methods/Better Storage for PSP 1001? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    I have been searching around a bit on this website for better storage for my Sony PSP 1001( or 1K series, what ever works for you). I don't mean a 16 Gigabytes memory stick for my PSP, I mean large storage, like at least 80 Gigabytes, something to store a lot of games on, and/or a lot of movies, something to give me a reason to use my PSP a lot more often than not. I saw a mod that removes the UMD Drive and places an 80 Gigabyte 1.8" Ipad harddrive, or something similar, with a male Mini USB cord sticking out the back to plug in into the port ontop of the PSP( I remember the video about the mod saying that they usb a cord instead of wiring it straight in to prevent certain issues I'm too lazy to remember in detail) and uses, I think, iRShell(or something) to access it and play the games from it. I will try to find the video again and learn more about it/refresh my memory on it. Well, back to what I said in the first sentence, searching this website about ways of better storage, I have seen a few discussions on the matter. One was, I think, about the Ipad harddrive mod I mentioned. Someone said something about they messed up with the PSP systen and opened it up or something. A few posts talked about USB Drives as storage, and people said that the Mini USB Port on the PSP wasn't a USB Host (or something) so that couldn't be done.

*forum posts*
    Post about the Ipad harddrive - /forums/psp-hardware-repair/38770-ipod-harddrive-psp.html
    Post about the USB storage method - /forums/psp-discussion/43654-idea-psp-storage.html
    Also, here is another post about would it be possible or not to use an Ipad Harddrive for storage - /forums/psp-hardware-repair/53648-storage-ideas-revisited.html

Generally, if you have a good method for better storage(That is NOT really expensive or unreliable), please tell me. And if there is another post that has the answer to my question, I'd be really happy if you linked it to me. Hopefully I put this in the appropriate forum.
    Thank you and goodbye for now.

Junior Member PSP User
    I found the video on YouTube.
    /watch?v=ltRTrtFyqUU
    The most recent comment on it (which happens to be over a year ago) explains how he did it.
    I shall quote it.

SuperScarydude:
    "No...He built an AVR microcontroller based on a VDIP1 to act as a host controller between a 1.8" hard drive and the psp. His firmware allows the hard drive to act as a usb host device (not usb-on-the-go), thus allowing direct access to it from irshell like when using usbhostfs. There's no copying/buffering, it's basically the same as connecting to a pc via irshell. The main innovation is that instead of using a usb-on-the-go device, which cannot provide a raw data stream and can only copy files from one device to the other, this effectively puts a small computer that acts solely as a usb host device in your psp."

It was in reply to a comment, that I will also quote, which was posted over 3 years ago.
    AllWarrantiesVoid:
    "THIS IS A FAKE 1) Not possible the way he did it. 2) If any Legit modder was going to do a mod like this, they would not have a usb cable sticking out of the PSP. 3) The cable is there to fool people into believing that something is actually done. It is a ploy."

L
    Unless you have a few PSP's laying around, I dont think it would be worth it.

There is/was a program called TVersity that would allow you to stream videos from your PC onto your PSP

Junior Member PSP User
    This is disheartening. And I woke up early for nothing =(. And I was kind of thinking storage without a PC nearby. If I had to lug around a PC just to trade files and play games and movies on my PSP, I'd just get a PSP emulator or something on the computer instead.

L
    I'm sure that if you put your mind to it you can come up with something but as far as easy mods go, you can get a dual micro SD to memory stick adapter and get either 32 or 64 GB's of flash memory

Junior Member PSP User
    Where would I find something of that sort?

*Edit*
    Found 3 different websites selling them for $3.27 and under.
    Last edited by WaitWhat4355; 06-26-2014 at 05:45 PM.

L
    If you buy from eBay, make sure that its a reputable source and also make sure that the micro SD's are the same brand, speed and size
    Last edited by El Guapo; 06-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Junior Member PSP User
    Want me to link the MicroSD cards I'm going to buy and the adapter?

*Edit*
    The Adapter is from Ebay for $3.27 and the MicroSDs are for $14.10 each on Amazon.

L
    As long as the SD cards are the same, it will work but be warned, it may take a few times of trying to get the cards formatted but just be patient. One more thing, DO NOT use your PC to format the micro SD's, use your PSP and your PSP only.

Junior Member PSP User
    Don't worry, I was planning on using the PSP format option. And I might keep a backup of what I put on them on my PC in case they go bad. Got any other suggestions that I should do to my PSP? I got the 6.60 PRO CFW, but not the permanent version. I just did the one where it adds the files for it and I have to do Fast Recovery every time I want to do anything CFW when I turn my PSP on.

L
    If you have an original phat PSP (1000), I would use this: 6.60ME-1.8 (OFW Version) - Downloads - PSPMOD.com - PSP / PS Vita Forums

If you need help getting the micro sd adapter to work properly, just post back or PM me

Junior Member PSP User
    So is this a CFW or OFW? Or CFW disguised as OFW? I don't want to screw up anything by hitting Fast Recovery to do the unsigned code programs.

*Edit*
    Nevermind, I think it's CFW.

*Edit*
    On a side note. A few years ago before I started modding my PSP, (I started sometime between August and September 2013) there was absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. When I started to use my PSP just before modding it again, and there was a slight stain of some sort on the top right corner of the screen for some reason. I stopped using it at the beginning of December, and started using it again a week ago. The stain is now spread on both sides, some on top, and a few dots on bottom. Do you know what caused this? And would you like me to post a picture of it?

*Edit*
    Forget the picture part, my camera can't do a good picture.
    Last edited by WaitWhat4355; 06-28-2014 at 12:25 AM.

L
    CFW designed to install straight from OFW

L
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitWhat4355 View Post
    So is this a CFW or OFW? Or CFW disguised as OFW? I don't want to screw up anything by hitting Fast Recovery to do the unsigned code programs.

*Edit*
    Nevermind, I think it's CFW.

*Edit*
    On a side note. A few years ago before I started modding my PSP, (I started sometime between August and September 2013) there was absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. When I started to use my PSP just before modding it again, and there was a slight stain of some sort on the top right corner of the screen for some reason. I stopped using it at the beginning of December, and started using it again a week ago. The stain is now spread on both sides, some on top, and a few dots on bottom. Do you know what caused this? And would you like me to post a picture of it?

*Edit*
    Forget the picture part, my camera can't do a good picture.
    Did your PSP ever had any water damage?

Junior Member PSP User
    Not any water damage that I can remember. The only things that I can remember having water damage was my first cellphone and one of my PS2 memory cards that went through the washer, Though after a month of so of sitting on a shelf they worked perfectly fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast