Thread: Large Battery Mod

1. #1 Large Battery Mod 
    I wanted to put a large battery in this old PSP1000

I removed the UMD drive, took apart a cheap copy battery, used the board inside it and soldered a much larger 3.7v battery to the +/-, I read on here the 0.1 volt shouldn't make much of a difference, and I'm assuming the board will have an overvoltage protection?

My issue is, since putting this in, most of the time it'll hang on the blue screen with the circle in the bottom right, and just won't load up.

If I take the battery out and put in the stock battery it works fine.

Any idea whats happened here?

Should i take apart a genuine battery for the board or is the issue elsewhere?

Cheers

L
    Sounds like your PSP is sensing a UMD in the drive that is actually not there because of your battery mod taking its place. Try going into "Settings" and setting "UMD auto start" to "Off".

If that does not help, you may half to break off the little UMD sensor lever on the motherboard or just use a glue gun to glue it down so in case you need it again, just peel the glue off.

Cheers, that has sorted it right out.

I picked up a battery from an ebay seller, its the length of the case, when I measured it up (before dismantling) it seemed like a perfect fit, but the motherboard sticks proud.

Fortunately it was 2 batteries stuck together, so I halved it, and it fits, but it claims to only be 3000mah, which is hardly worth the upgrade.

Whats the biggest battery that can be fitted?

The other thing is its been charging for a while now, it says the charge level is 100%, but it says its still charging.

Should I worry about it overcharging?

L
    I have had nothing but bad luck with those generic "eBay" batteries, if you can find a cheap, original extended life battery, that would be the way to go.

Here is what I'm talking about: Sony PSP 3 6 V 2200 mAh Extended Lufe Battery Pack Model PSP 280 | eBay

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    i cant remember where the mod is but there was a mod forever ago where you remove umd take normal psp batteries and cross wire them.you can fit two in the bay and one in the normal compartment and by wiring them together the right way they will extend your life as your now using 3 batteries instead of one ;P that might only work for the slim psps though as fats are much thicker.i dont think theres such a thing as a slim battery for the fat but i could be wrong

if anyone knows what reference im talking about please guide this person to it.happy modding

Jen
    i remember a mega battery that made your psp like 3 times thicker.