Thread: Rumoured PSP2 name change sounds like a biscuit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rumoured PSP2 name change sounds like a biscuit 
    Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    I know people haven't been hearing about the ngp so I'll post any new updates I find about it. Just released on the 31 last month so still newish.

Source:
    Rumoured PSP2 name change sounds like a biscuit, PSP2 PSP News | GamesRadar

'PS Vita' could be the new name for Sony's Next Generation Portable (NGP), which is due out later this year. The name allegedly comes from an E3 pamphlet showing the portable with its new branding. There are also some domain names recently registered by Sony that appear to back it up, although nothing's been confirmed as yet. But is 'Vita' a good name for the device? Does the PSP brand really hold that many negative connotations that Sony would drop it entirely?

The evidence for this is some of the sketchiest I've seen, to be honest, but at least the image itself looks plausible:

Above: The pamphlet looks pretty official. We'll know for certain at E3 in one week's time. Woot!

However. Most of the comments around the net suggest most people immediately think of one thing when they hear the name. This:

Above: We jest, of course. Even though the machine is surely very low in fat, you probably shouldn't eat it

Sony shouldn't feel too upset that we've turned their gorgeous new machine into a Ryvita - we did give a similar treatment to a shedload of games. Twice. But there are some other connotations that they may have missed (if, indeed, this is the final name for the device). If you shorten the name to the traditional three-letter abbreviation, you get PSV, which I like, although it also sounds like a certain football team from Eindhoven. And finally, it's only one letter shy of being a word that's become almost synonymous with disappointing technology. Vista.

But then, if you shortened 'PSP2' in the way people did 'Black Ops' to 'Blops', you'd get 'PSPoo'. So surely anything's better than that. Thoughts?

31 May, 2011

Also to a note: The domain "http://www.psvita.com/" has been bought by sony. For our sake they change the name.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    it almost sounds like a windows version or some type of pc software lol still, regardless of its name they finalize, i will be getting one and it still looks pretty damn sexy!!
    [CENTER]

Hell ya it does. I'll just use sharpe or elec tape to cover the name. lol

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    It sounds like a tampon. The NEW Tampax Vita!

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    It looks nice, but I will most certainly wait till the first price drop. As for the name, I can't help but find it a bit silly, but hey its about the machine not the name. I see a slot in the back that looks like a UMD drive, this makes me happy as I have a box full of UMD (seems like they learned from the PSP Go). Also this raises the question of are they going to produce a new generation of UMD?

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker goku2778's Avatar
    ^^^you know what, that's a very good question on the umd...or maybe do like the go??? all files and micro sds???
    [CENTER]

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goku2778 View Post
    ^^^you know what, that's a very good question on the umd...or maybe do like the go??? all files and micro sds???
    NGP will be backwards compatible
    Confirmed for backwards compatibility, but it says only through the PSN, so bleh way to fuck me again Sony. Honestly I have a crate full of UMDs.

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

No geek the ngp will not have umd support. Games will be on sd cards.
    As for the lever thing u thought was the umd door opener that's the camra behind the psp and theirs one on the from right screen corner.

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    Good, it has a camera so I can take a picture of my angry face and post it on the Playstation Blog so they know how I feel about their backwards compatibility or lack thereof.

Thats why I'm keeping my psp for the ps1 games.

I want it all, brand new socks and draws! PSP Mad Hacker thecoo1est's Avatar
    "NGP will boast full backward compatibility with PSP games available on the PlayStation Network. Not only will it run them, it will make them look better and utilize the NGP’s dual analog sticks."

Utilizing the dual nubs is pretty cool though!

Dual nubs is already a win-win for me.

Texas Hellboy PSP Elite Hacker xavis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoo1est View Post
    "NGP will boast full backward compatibility with PSP games available on the PlayStation Network. Not only will it run them, it will make them look better and utilize the NGP’s dual analog sticks."

Utilizing the dual nubs is pretty cool though!
    sounds like they will be converted/program port for the ngp, and if thats so, it wont be real backwards compatibility.

"I don't have an anger problem, I have a problem with idiots." - Hank Hill

CXMB Guide | IRSHELL UsbHost/RemoteJoy Guide! |

I want it all, brand new socks and draws! PSP Mad Hacker thecoo1est's Avatar
    ok fellas, I will probably eat these words and look like a idiot, but Im predicting a $249 price for a fully loaded ngp or vita w/e. and a $199 for the non 3g. However, maybe unlikely, but I wouldnt be surprised if they set the 3g version at $199. We will see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast