Thread: PSP slim 3.71 m33 won't play games from disc

1. #1 PSP slim 3.71 m33 won't play games from disc 
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and to PSPs in general. I run linux for my main machine, have 2 modded xboxs (one hard one soft) and have modded a few ipods of different generations to run linux. I study computer science in college, work at gamestop to afford school and build computers for sale on craigslist. I'm pretty good with computers in general, but this problem seems to have me stuck. First, some history...

I recently got a slim psp for the purpose of modding. This forum was my main source of information to get me to the point that I'm at. Here is some fw history. PSP slim 3.60 -> 3.60 m33 -> 3.71 m33. All I put on it was snes9x, nesterj, and custom firmware extender 1.7.2. Everything ran fine and I was content.

I then found that included with cfe was usbhostfs (which had a linux executable, awesome!!) I wanted to play around with this feature, so I dumped Daxter (it came in the bundle) and tried to play it. I had usbhostfs running and found my iso through the psp, so I selected to run it. The psp rebooted. I read in the readme of cfe that I might need to replace 3 .prx (savedata_*.prx)files on flash0 to get it to work properly. So I tried this, only to look back now and see that it was to fix a completely different problem. There is another problem, I forgot to backup the old prx files that I overwrote.

After I placed those files into flash0, I saw no gain the the usb iso playing. At this point I wanted a break and to just play, so I put in a game. It loaded like seemingly normal. but when it went to load my saved game, it froze. I tried a different game (renegade squadron) and got the same result. So, I assume it was those prx files I overwrote that's causing this problem. Next, I went online and found some more of these prx files (inside a different download of cfe 1.7.2 zip folder) and put them in place. Well, now anytime it tries to load a game it instantly crashes. If I put in a UMD movie, it works just fine.

I've checked to ensure that it's set proper to *UMD Mode* normal umd required and all the advanced config items are disabled. I reformatted my memory card just in case it might help. Then, and I don't know if this was a bad idea or not, I chose to format flash1 in recovery mode. I'm sorry, my noobness leaves me unsure what exactly what is stored in the different flash banks or partitions or whatever they are. Now, I know I should have researched more before ever messing with those sections, but I didn't.

If there is any info needed to help out bear with me as I am new to the PSP arena and just ask.

What should I do at this point? Do I need to find a proper set of those prx files? find a different way of transferring them? Am I on the wrong path to fixing this issue? Did I screw my psp?

Also, thanks for all the info you all gave to get me to this point through these forums!

EDIT: Just a note, everything else works fine. It just won't play games from their umd disk... or iso for that matter. but everything else seems to work fine.
    Last edited by thedorfer; 10-18-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    i am not sure why it does this - I have a few ideas:
    1) Go to recovery console and set UMD to no UMD and see if your ISO's work then
    2) If you are not using your UMD when using ISO's, try that and set it in your recovery mode - by selecting UMD required and trying to run an ISO
    3) If those don't work, I think you should either format flash, or reinstall 3.71 M33
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    may be a bad rip, try re-ripping the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Country's Avatar
    I'd double check the umd driver, turn it to the m33 one and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by dannyf View Post
    may be a bad rip, try re-ripping the games.
    The iso problem is secondary, I can't play off the discs right now.

I'd double check the umd driver, turn it to the m33 one and see what happens
    I've tried them all with no luck.

i am not sure why it does this - I have a few ideas:
    1) Go to recovery console and set UMD to no UMD and see if your ISO's work then
    2) If you are not using your UMD when using ISO's, try that and set it in your recovery mode - by selecting UMD required and trying to run an ISO
    3) If those don't work, I think you should either format flash, or reinstall 3.71 M33
    How would I format the flash? I assume there is some sort of prog that does it for you, I'll hit up google for a little and see what I can find. I think I'll try that before I reinstall the FW.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    you can format the flash by going into recovery mode (on psp hold R trigger when switchin on) and selecting the advanced option and select "format flash1 and reset settings"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Country's Avatar
    Sounds like maybe those prx files that you overwrote may have been more important than you originally thought. You need to downgrade again, messing with the flash0 without knowing what it is can be dangerous, you have a pandora or else you wouldn't have been able to put cfw on your slim, so I would suggest trying the slim unbricker from DAX reinstall 3.71m33 from that, restoring your flash1 won't do it, you need a clean install