Thread: psp crashes on starting/exiting game/app

1. #1 psp crashes on starting/exiting game/app 
    jev
    Hello,

i have this strange problem with my psp phat 1004 running on 5.50 gen-d3:

I am using a san disk 8gb micro sd card together with a micro sdhc compatible adapter

When I start a game or app from the memory stick the device sometimes crashes and stays with a black screen while the memory stick light is flashing permanently. The same thing sometimes happens when exiting a game/app. In this case the device stays at the "please wait" screen and won't return to xmb.
    But there are no crashes while running a game/app.

The only thing I can do when this happens is to either shut down the device and power it on again or releasing the memory stick and inserting it again (sometimes I have to do this several times). Interestingly the device will continue to load when I do the latter.

I tried the following to solve the problem:

- restored default settings
    - tried another micro sd card
    - formatted the micro sd card in the psp
    - tried another micro sd adapter
    - reflashed 5.50 gen-d3
    - downgraded to 5.00 m33-6

Nothing has worked so far. The problem still persists.

Can this be related to the fact that I'm using a micro sd adapter/micro sd card? Are there general problems with micro sd cards on the psp?
    Or is this a hardware defect?

So the strange thing is these crashes only happen when loading or exiting a game/app from the memory stick. It never happens while runnig a game/app.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jev; 09-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Member PSP User
    Jev, we are having the same problems. In my case I'm using a 32gb memory stick pro duo, and my psp is a 1006 version. I frequently encounter those problems when entering/exiting games, but as you describe it, in-game there are no problems. I have tried what you had and nothing has also worked out for me. AFAIK 8gb should be no problems since most people use 8gb cards, why don't you try a memory stick pro card? Others here are using 2 16gb micro sd's and they work without problems.

I tried a fake 1gb and it worked for me, I encounter no problems when exiting.

Do you also encounter difficulty connecting to USB mode? I am also having difficulties here... Once it goes to USB mode at first it just loads, and nothing will happen it won't read the memory stick. I have to eject it and place it back and there it reads it quickly.

jev
    So far I had no problems with usb mode.

Since both of us are having the same problems I guess this is most likely a compatibility issue and not caused by a hardware defect.

Well, guess I will have to live with that, because I don't want to buy a memory stick pro duo. I'm fine with 8gb and besides of those occasional crashes the card works perfectly.

Member PSP User
    have you tried your memory card on another psp? How long have you been playing with your psp like that?

Modder Of The Dark Arts PSP Elite Hacker R()H@X's Avatar
    theres nothing wrong with sdhc cards.in fact they are more stable and faster on a psp.my guess is its a problem hardware wise with the memcard slot

jev
    @twoadvils:
    I purchased the psp off ebay recently and it is the only psp I own. The seller assured me that it is working flawlessly and he never encountered such problems.