Thread: Firmware update bounces from 99% to 84% - an official Sony update, even!

1. #1 Firmware update bounces from 99% to 84% - an official Sony update, even! 
    Hello pspmod folks, I'm hoping you can help me since Sony's so-called Knowledge Base is useless, and sending an email to customer service says they'l get back to you in three or four days. Anyway, my problem is this: About two hours ago I downloaded the Sony 6.39 firmware preparatory to installing the 6.39 PRO B8 CFW, to a 2001 (The Daxter bundle unit, making it an 85v2 mobo if I've read the documentation correctly) that has hitherto never had anything but official UMDs and FW updates. Now, hours later, it is still sitting on the "Installing... Do not turn off the power (etc.)" screen, popping back to 84% every time it reaches 99%. This being my first attempt at venturing into the CFW/homebrew scene, I was mostly following the step-by-step n00b instructions and am not entirely sure of my footing in the procedure, but as I hadn't actually reached the point of even copying the CFW files over onto the (freshly formatted, genuine Sony) memory card that isn't really an issue here. Any suggestions for what I should do? Just waiting it out doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere...

- dNN

ETA: The card was formatted in the PSP, not a computer card reader. I don't actually have a computer card reader for Memory Sticks, but there are two other PSPs available if it ends up being a matter of getting something on the card and holding a key combination while the unit powers up.
    Last edited by dialNforNinja; 08-20-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: boneheaded, pet peeve typo

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    So is the psp bricked or stuck on the 99% to 84% part? If it's bricked, being a hackable daxter, you can use pandora or a softmodded pandora.

No, it was just stuck, thank the Matrix. (Autobot, not Keanu) I force-shutdown after reading about a guy in another forum with the same problem who bricked and pandora rezz'd his 1000 multiple times with the same issue, but fortunately it just came up normally (like the occasional false "Upgrade Failed!" message) when I tried booting again. So, now I get to try adding the PRO B8 CFW hack on... yay?

I really want a better browser, since this is my primary e-text reader, but honestly am having second thoughts. I disassembled (and, more importantly, reassembled without stress or difficulty) my 1000 months ago to deal with the broken wifi switch, but software beyond your basic 300-level Data Structures university course is not my cuppa. Heh, up until now my PSP joke was that yes, my 1000 was cracked - "See? Right across the screen! But really, it's no big problem since it's only the plastic and doesn't show when you look at it straight on."

- dNN

Hardware Modder PSP Elite Hacker BrokenRoses22's Avatar
    So do you need any software help or hardware help or are you holding out? It's a 1000 so almost any problem is easly fixable.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by dialNforNinja View Post
    No, it was just stuck, thank the Matrix. (Autobot, not Keanu) I force-shutdown after reading about a guy in another forum with the same problem who bricked and pandora rezz'd his 1000 multiple times with the same issue, but fortunately it just came up normally (like the occasional false "Upgrade Failed!" message) when I tried booting again. So, now I get to try adding the PRO B8 CFW hack on... yay?

I really want a better browser, since this is my primary e-text reader, but honestly am having second thoughts. I disassembled (and, more importantly, reassembled without stress or difficulty) my 1000 months ago to deal with the broken wifi switch, but software beyond your basic 300-level Data Structures university course is not my cuppa. Heh, up until now my PSP joke was that yes, my 1000 was cracked - "See? Right across the screen! But really, it's no big problem since it's only the plastic and doesn't show when you look at it straight on."

- dNN
    What is it that you need???, I'm having trouble understanding what your problem is.

As it turns out, my problem took care of itself wth the force-quit and reboot, and everything else went swimmingly. The other guy's bad luck continued, but he already has a Pandora. My last post was basically saying that, and why I was bothering, but apparently wasn't clear enough.

Bottom line: No further action required, thank you for your time and cpu cycles.

- dNN

Spambuster Bitch PSP Elite Hacker dankgame's Avatar
    thread done closed
    new members and old read thisvvvvvvvv
    http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uncements.html