Thread: Upgrade from 6.39ME-9.1? What has changed in the last 3+ years?

1. #1 Upgrade from 6.39ME-9.1? What has changed in the last 3+ years? 
    Junior Member PSP User
    TL;DR - Found my PSP running 6.39ME-9.1. It's been so long, I can't remember much about it (or PSPs at all). What firmware should I run?

Longer version: Recently found my PSP1001 when digging through a some boxes. I haven't seen it or used it in years! So much has happened in my life, I seem to have little to no recollection of PSP stuff.
    It's apparently running 6.39ME-9.1, which I don't even remember putting on there. I went through my gmail account and dug up a PSPMOD.com post from 2011 that I made, and apparently I was running 5.00 M33-3 before then. I also don't remember that.

The only things I can remember are: I downgraded to (Japan?) version 1.0 and then up to 1.5 from there. I also had made a custom startup sound from the start and end of PS1/PSX commercials ("Chun!, Playstation"), and changed the game boot video to something with slashes (bleach?) I remember running emulators and stuff on there. I also had a recovery menu available when holding home, or when putting the hold switch on, something like that. I wonder if I still have all of those old files? Next time I visit my parents, I'll have to dig through some old hard drives to see what I can find!

Obviously there's been some changes since then! Going through both my 1GB and 2GB memory sticks, it looks like I still have some homebrew, emulators, and the ability to run PSX games via POPSLOADER on 6.39ME-9.1.
    I picked up a microSD to PRO Duo adapter and a 64GB microSD card on ebay. The adapter got here today, I'm waiting on the card.

I'd like to load up some PS1 games and backups/ISOs of my PSP games (much better loading times then the disks, better battery life, keep my game collection at home and protected, also obviously I can't put my PS1 disks into the PSP), emulators, and some homebrew.
    What would you guys suggest for Firmware options? What new software/games/apps should I be looking at? Any helpful links?

I've apparently got a lot of experience with PSP stuff (and am just super rusty!), so feel free to talk tech. I'm sure it'll all come back to me.
    Last edited by dacomputernerd; 01-15-2015 at 09:44 PM.