Thread: Security improvements/other...

1. #1 Security improvements/other... 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    In order not to bore you, I will keep this list as short and informative as possible. The following is (are?) some standards I've seen other forums/websites employ and may benefit this forum also:
    -Email addresses should not be posted in the xxxx@xxx.com/org/xxx form to prevent spam bots from acquiring the address, and should instead be posted word for word to avoid that altogether. [i.e.= xxxx at xxx dot com] [Variations of the form to left should be used as spam bots continue to acquire more advanced filtering techniques]
    -Attachments to a post, be it .zip file or the like, should not downloaded by any member until moderators approve of it. [The file should also be scanned by the uploader and post the log from this site.]
    (A post count req. (like the /url one) could also be employed if desired)
    This next set of standards, in my opinion, is quite harsh and should not be used. However, as harsh as they may be, when employed correctly, they may benefit this forum:
    [Only some of the standards shown here are harsh, and I personally think that some of them are reasonable]

Impersonating or repeatedly harassing Administrators, *Moderators, or any user on the forum qualifies for a debatable ban.
    Linking to viruses, maliciously coded websites, or warez through /url's or image redirects will result in an immediate ban.
    Remaking, trolling, flaming, complaining about a thread that was locked or deleted for a legitimate reason qualifies for a debatable ban.
    Offensive titles or names are not permitted, and if created and publicly used, actions will be taken.
    Posting in ALL CAPS [Posting all in a different color/font are debatable] three times in one month qualifies for a banning for X amount of time.
    Attempting to bypass these rules (Including the The Official PSPMod.com Rules And Guidelines ) will result in a banning for X amount of time/Perm. Ban.
    *Super, Retired, Global, In training, Stripped, Sectional, Regular, and Resident are all under this category
    Remember, parts of what I mentioned above I do not think should be enforced at all.

Also, I apologize for any sense of urgency felt by those who read this*- In no way whatsoever do i impersonate an Admin or Mod in typing this. In order to convey my points in the best way possible, I posted them in a way as if they were an active standard.

>.<
    Comments, anyone?
    *MGS:PO-Like Quote, lol
    Last edited by whitelamp; 06-28-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker maxthemonkey's Avatar
    Sounds like a good idea mate! bit harsh in some areas though...

Inactive, well sorta

Senior Member I Modded My PSP 3.03 OE-C FTW's Avatar
    okay then dualy noted lol
    PSP Specs
    Firmware: 3.52 M33-4
    Motherboard: IC6001
    CPU Speed: Default
    Colour: White
    Original FW: 2.61
    Current HomeBrew: GBSP, Daedalus, UMDAX, PSXEmu

Ever need help with anything? Dont hesitate to pm me. Always glad to help
    The Begginer is PspMod King < this guy will never steer you wrong belive me

Like I said before, It may be harsh, but may be necessary, nevertheless.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitelamp
    -Email addresses should not be posted in the xxxx@xxx.com/org/xxx form to prevent spam bots from acquiring the address, and should instead be posted word for word to avoid that altogether. [i.e.= xxxx at xxx dot com] [Variations of the form to left should be used as spam bots continue to acquire more advanced filtering techniques]
    I've had no problems, but I have no reason to disagree. Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitelamp
    -Attachments to a post, be it .zip file or the like, should not downloaded by any member until moderators approve of it. [The file should also be scanned by the uploader and post the log from this site.]
    (A post count req. (like the /url one) could also be employed if desired)
    I think that making a mod accept each uploaded attachment would be tedious to them, and we would have to wait around to get to download it, so it would take a while, longer than say, just downloading it ourselves.
    I've also only seen something uploaded to here very rarely, it's usually sendspace or mediafire or what have you, so while this would be a useless feature, it might actually not be too tedious to the mods.
    Scanning it wouldn't be a bad idea.
    A post count would also be a good idea, I think that scanning and a post count restriction would make it safe for everyone here.

Impersonating or repeatedly harassing Administrators, *Moderators, or any user on the forum qualifies for a debatable ban.
    Agree.
    Linking to viruses, maliciously coded websites, or warez through /url's or image redirects will result in an immediate ban.
    Agree.
    Remaking, trolling, flaming, complaining about a thread that was locked or deleted for a legitimate reason qualifies for a debatable ban.
    Agree. It might sound harsh, but it should be depending on whether or not the person says "H3y! i mad3 t1s l33t thred n u delted 1t. y u do it?" Or, if they get very mad and defensive, rather than like asking why calmly, and just being respectful.
    Offensive titles or names are not permitted, and if created and publicly used, actions will be taken.
    Luckily, we don't seem to have a problem with that here, but I think an offensive content s/n filter, plus this rule would help out. Agree.
    Posting in ALL CAPS [Posting all in a different color/font are debatable] three times in one month qualifies for a banning for X amount of time.
    I agree, or at least with the all caps. It'd be nice to not see that, and people or mods could just tell the offending poster not to use caps excessively or else 1 week ban. The all caps lock rule should be embraced by everyone, just like the double posting one is.
    Attempting to bypass these rules (Including the http://www.pspmod.com/forums/introdu...uidelines.html ) will result in a banning for X amount of time/Perm. Ban.
    *Super, Retired, Global, In training, Stripped, Sectional, Regular, and Resident are all under this category
    Agree yes.

Great suggestions whitelamp!

I also think we should have the forum's rules listed somewhere easy to find.
    In quick links or something. I currently have no clue where the rules are, or any of that stuff resides.
    I'd love to reread them, because I've only seen them once, and that was thanks to someone linking to them.
    It makes it hard for noobs to read the rules, and all the introductory stuff when they're hidden.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    ...The all caps lock rule should be embraced by everyone, just like the double posting one is.
    That reminds me...the "unwritten" rules that allow double posting should be put into the official rules. (A great example of this would be the Mac Model reference guide by unrineanus)
    Tutorials, guides, and other helpful and resourceful material should not be hindered by a rule not allowing multiple consecutive posts.

Also:
    The Official PSPMod.com Rules And Guidelines
    I find this line debatable:
    All rules are effective immediately
    As of late, there seems to be a "gray" area on some of the lesser rules if it's enforced on the spot or if a warning is given.
    However, that may just be me, being paranoid and all.
    Last edited by whitelamp; 07-01-2007 at 10:36 PM.