Thread: Guide for new comers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Guide for new comers. 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP Hoi-Yant's Avatar
    Hey,

I've been gone for a little bit and in my return, I noticed that there has been a large influx of new members. Now, I have no problems with, if anything, I think that's a good thing. Hoever, I do have a problem with the fact that most of the forums are now filled with new members posting the same questions. That question being; "I'm new... what do I do first?" or some varient of said question.

As much as I enjoy telling people what to do, it eventually boiled down to everyone saying the same things over and over again. To solve this, I propose posting a stickied post containing the essential and first steps of modding a PSP, posted in every forum.

This post should contain essentials like modding terminology and Pandora's Battery, along with the most essential rule to these forums; Do not discuss about pirated games. Essentially, it should cover a broad spectrum of subjects pertaining to modding, discussed in a general fashion.

I understand that the post might not be read by new comers, seeing as most of them join the forums with a ready set question and don't bother searching the forums before hand, but at the very least, it will assist older members direct new comers to a general guide and then if they have further questions, refer them to a more detailed guide.

The question now is; "Who will write it?". I wouldn't mind writing it, but if I do, I will require assistance from other, more knowledgable, members, as my knowledge extends only so far.

So tell me what you think! I feel that this solution will deminish many redundant posts and generally help the entire community, given that the guide is well written in a clear and concise manner.
    Gone fishing for about 3 years... what's new?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkFoxSniper's Avatar
    I know there are these kind of thread but they probably have not been updated...I'll help you with it if you want.

Edit:I say we should include everything from installing CFW and themes to running emulators to accessing Recovery Mode..
    Last edited by DarkFoxSniper; 03-31-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iedwardsIII
    In the words of DFS, go die.

PSP Motherboard F.A.Q. Coldboot Tutorial

Thanks. But I won't want me, nor anyone else, to write it, unless I get comfirmation that it will be stickied. If it's not, it will simply just get lost in the creation of new posts the guide is trying to stop.

Junior Member PSP User
    i was actually looking for something like you were describing earlier (i just bought my psp today ^.^) and yeah everything is spread out everywhere and is pretty messy. if you need a vote for this to happen, you got mine!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    i say just do it!
    and if it doesn't get stickied, gut keep posting in the thread to keep it up the top, but if it is good and help, then it will get stickied.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Hercules's Avatar
    i dont mean to be rude..but there is a guide button to click so you can navigate thru many guides..also any newcommer should try and look around the site, maybe looking at the top for a navigation bar...

I am very well aware about the Guide section of the forums. Unfortunately, not all newcomers do. You say they should "try" to look around; that's like asking a child to walk and talk the second they're out of the womb.

At the very least, at least have a stickied post containing a guide to go to the guides on the forums. I just feel that if a newcomers should have rules and the basics thrown into their faces, instead of them having to look for them, which is something they do not do.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    i totally agree Hoi-Yant - it is bery frustrating when you get people every hour or something asking the same goddamn questions - there is a GUIDES button and a SEARCH button at the top ffs

I would be more than happy to write a part of a guide to help newcomers - maybe you or a mod or something can say what needs to be done then members can comeback and post in this thread what they want to do?

But, even if we sticky it, do you think they will look at the master guide first before posting a new thread? I know when I joined (a big noob back then) I didn't search - I just posted. Do you think this will happen again?

Sounds like a good idea anyway mate
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Junior Member PSP User
    I totally agree. Though, im one of those people who actually look around somewhat before i ask a question. I think it would still be nice.

You could also rate the guide on difficulty level From Easy - Medium - Hard and Advanced. For example, Using a pandoras battery is pretty easy (well for me it was. first time i used it and no problems) So, it could be Rated as EASY. and so on and so forth.

My name is Ryan, when you get to know me. you will see that i can be a full on asshole. and im not afraid of it.
    I will point out your weakness, your failures. and ill slap them all in your face. But other then that, im a great guy.

If it's a locked stickied post, the post will be a little more eye catching for the members. Also, if they continually see the same thread posted in every forum at the same place, there's a larger chance they'll read it.

As for content, I'm still wondering what is essential, and what can be left out. I don't want to start writing unless I get the thumbs from a mod, admin, or anyone with the power to make such decisions.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    It seems to me that you're wanting to make a guide to the guides section. Basically, you're going to be putting all the information in the guides section in one thread, and then possibly link users to the same guide.
    That's pretty pointless.

New users won't read it. Check out the guide Blackout posted, it's over two years old, and has only gotten 7,978 views. New people will not read the rules, and they won't look at guides. I know it doesn't make any sense to people who use forums regularly - not looking at the stickies and the guides FIRST thing - but new members are idiots. They'd never figure it out.
    Also, new members will always be here, and will always ask dumb questions. That's kind of how a forum works, and if you're too lazy to answer the questions that they have, then simply don't answer their questions. I know I try to stay out of those threads for anything other than moderating purposes. If they want to learn they'll take it upon themselves, but if they want someone else to do it for them, or to just be told exactly what to do (most new members fit into this option), then they'll make a thread titled in aLt CaPs and thirty-five exclamation points, and use the triangle thread icon to try to get everyone's attention, and get the answer NOWZ0RZ!!!1!1!11! So, it'll never get any use.

The current members now answer all the noobs' questions just fine, and when the current members get tired of answering them, the noobs will be ready to answer the new noobs' questions. And some of the more devoted current members will stay around and have fun, watching the members complain about how much noobs suck. The cycle will only continue...

Also, I don't want to have to see a Universal Announcement in every section, and have it say there forever.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Hmm~ I guess you have a point. I didn't want to say it, but you said it yourself, "new members are idiots." I also wanted to avoid labeling them as "newbs" since it could come off as condescending, but whatever... it's all good! Less writing for me.

EDIT: I've thought of something; why not impose a probation period for newbies? I mean, why not lock all newbies to a specific and isolated section of the forums to have them mingle with each other for a specific amount of time or number of posts? And within their quarantined forum section, a stickied thread, similar to that I am suggesting in my previous posts, could be put up.
    Last edited by Hoi-Yant; 04-03-2008 at 01:23 AM.

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoi-Yant View Post
    I've thought of something; why not impose a probation period for newbies? I mean, why not lock all newbies to a specific and isolated section of the forums to have them mingle with each other for a specific amount of time or number of posts? And within their quarantined forum section, a stickied thread, similar to that I am suggesting in my previous posts, could be put up.

ahhhh give me amnesty! lol

Junior Member PSP User
    Most new people wont bookmark the forum for easy loading, they'll just go straight to pspmod.com (which takes you to the forums) a splash page should be created with a nice welcome, containing links to various guides.

What forum software is pspmod running? VBulletin? phpbb? ipb? Im sure there's a Portal mod available.

Anyways, im going to bed. got up at 2AM this morning just for work to cancel

My name is Ryan, when you get to know me. you will see that i can be a full on asshole. and im not afraid of it.
    I will point out your weakness, your failures. and ill slap them all in your face. But other then that, im a great guy.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoi-Yant View Post
    EDIT: I've thought of something; why not impose a probation period for newbies? I mean, why not lock all newbies to a specific and isolated section of the forums to have them mingle with each other for a specific amount of time or number of posts? And within their quarantined forum section, a stickied thread, similar to that I am suggesting in my previous posts, could be put up.
    Because it will be havoc in there. they'll be asking each other Q's and giving each other the wrong answer.
    They'll leave the forum because they didn't get any help, thus the admin will lose traffic.
    If you don't like the newbies threads then don't reply to them. i've stopped replying to PB threads now because im sick of seeing that name everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast