Thread: To the MODS of pspMod.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 To the MODS of pspMod.com 
    Member PSP User
    Well i've been reading and lurking around this forum since i made an account, and i have read through a few threads. All i'm suggesting is that you guys have a rep count so that people can leave positive/negative feedback/reputation/props to people that have indeed contributed to a thread. please look into this because this will show these people some appreciation, and let all the new users see that they are good in what they do to be trusted.

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    This has already been posted, it will be abused and the mods aren't very fond of the idea.

It would be pretty nice though, having rep used for prizes and stuff.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    It's a good idea but it will not be used what it's actually meant for. Friends will rep whore each other to look better.

Reputation [the vbulletin plugin that is] does not show knowledge, nor skill.

Are you going to trust someone with 2000 rep points because they are popular or someone with 50 who actually knows something? Of course you're going to trust the person with 2000 rep points because obviously it looks like they're trusted, and the person with 50 is a "noob".

Member PSP User
    no.. i have been on forums with rep counts.. you cannot give out reps soooo easily. you cannot give reps to the same person after you have given out X amount of reps to others. You cannot give reps to the same post. how many reps you're worth is determined on how long you've been registered, post counts, how many positive reps you already have, and such. on another forum, i've been with them since Mar 2007 and my post count is about 1,023, and i have about 430 rep points....BUT i am still worth 1 point when i gave out reps/props to others.

and trusting someone is really based on your judgement.. alot of positive rep points is just like keeping up a good reputation... and i know everyone here knows what a good reputation can do for you.......right?
    and this forum is very similiar to my other forum, just excluding the rep count
    Last edited by khaxnguyen; 05-31-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    A forum a go to quite often (cobaltandcalcium.com) had a rep system. We called it Karma. It lasted for a long time until a bunch of immature kids abused it so the admin took it down. I was talking to him and he said that like 50 people gave negative karma to one person at the same time just to be assholes.
    Its a good idea, but the system will get abused eventually. Theres no way to prevent that.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    best way to get info on people is to ask around. if someone asked me about canada2113 for example id say hes a trustworthy guy to ask psp related questions too.
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Cezar's Avatar
    It works well on lots of other forums though...

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    It may work great on other forums, but we're not going to have a rep system here.

There've been a ton of threads requesting it, and every time it's been requested, it's been shot down because it's unnecessary.
    Read the posts above, because they're all true. It will be abused, it will mislead people, mods don't want it, it's based on too many uneven factors.
    Ultimately, the best way to get a feel for a community is to immerse yourself in it, and if you want to get an honest opinion about how someone feels about someone, as someone else.
    You could ask me or Sullivan about any user here, and we could tell you how they've been, how they were, and...how they are, anything.
    With reps, you see that a lot of people click a button for him...

Case closed.
    I don't want to be a dick and close the thread though, so I'll let it die out on it's own.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker acer5050's Avatar
    Hmm.. maybe I'll add a rep system to my site pspheaven.net
    sounds like a good idea to me

It is a good idea, just requires time and effort

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate-M.Lifnen View Post
    It may work great on other forums, but we're not going to have a rep system here.

There've been a ton of threads requesting it, and every time it's been requested, it's been shot down because it's unnecessary.
    Read the posts above, because they're all true. It will be abused, it will mislead people, mods don't want it, it's based on too many uneven factors.
    Ultimately, the best way to get a feel for a community is to immerse yourself in it, and if you want to get an honest opinion about how someone feels about someone, as someone else.
    You could ask me or Sullivan about any user here, and we could tell you how they've been, how they were, and...how they are, anything.
    With reps, you see that a lot of people click a button for him...

Case closed.
    I don't want to be a dick and close the thread though, so I'll let it die out on it's own.
    ok i believe in the reason for the existence of MODS because they are suppose to look over things. of course you have the ability to take the NEG points away.. i also agree that the system WILL be abused but what's fifty NEG rep points willl do? that's gonna take 50 accounts. and if who ever ABUSES it, there's an action mods have over all accounts, is to BAN them.

---and thank you all who agreed with me. it takes a very long time just to build a reputation/repuation's worth. The best way is not really, not ask around. People tend to think ignore just because they just dont have the courteousy to reply. and pirate, you would really sit there and answer all of our PMs about people? i dont think you have that time. sorry if i seem rude. it's just a discussion.
    Last edited by khaxnguyen; 05-31-2008 at 11:37 PM.

And just "asking" the mods about certain members is too impractical. Most users would just leave the situation alone rather than bother pm'ing a mod about a user and then having to wait for a reply... The Reputation system works on many forums, but I guess each to their own (forum), lol.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I usualy go by post count, and if they have an avatar/sig
    If they dont have either, Then they probably dont have plans on
    Being Commited to the Site anyway

I have an Avatar script like this, But vbulliten Hates it

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMB3Rs View Post
    if someone asked me about canada2113 for example id say hes a trustworthy guy to ask psp related questions too.
    aww hell, now im tearing up...

For the most part, people that know what they are doing visit the forum quite often and correct noobs that may have lead someone down the wrong path. Its kind of a self-regulating system. We have a pretty nice little community here.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaxnguyen View Post
    no.. i have been on forums with rep counts.. you cannot give out reps soooo easily. you cannot give reps to the same person after you have given out X amount of reps to others. You cannot give reps to the same post. how many reps you're worth is determined on how long you've been registered, post counts, how many positive reps you already have, and such. on another forum, i've been with them since Mar 2007 and my post count is about 1,023, and i have about 430 rep points....BUT i am still worth 1 point when i gave out reps/props to others.

and trusting someone is really based on your judgement.. alot of positive rep points is just like keeping up a good reputation... and i know everyone here knows what a good reputation can do for you.......right?
    and this forum is very similiar to my other forum, just excluding the rep count
    No. I run a forum with 80,000, we have Propz, I joined 06, I have around 2.1k propz, someone joined in 2008, has no shared links (it's a download site) and has 4.2k, just because he became popular. It shows, like I said, no skill nor knowledge.

But as pirate said, case closed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast