Thread: 4.1GHz proceesor for $95

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 4.1GHz proceesor for $95 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    Hell of a deal here guys. I found out about it by searching for a cheap processor. *THIS* processor is Pentium D 805 dual core running stock at 2.66 GHz can be overclocked to 4.1 GHz! Here's the link to the site i found it at:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/..._41_ghz_cores/

~Personally~
    It's amazing and I'm gonna get it (I think)
    Questions:
    1. I know my dad can help me if for some reason i can't do it myself. But would it run in my Dell Optiplex GX1 with a power supply fan and a CPU fan?
    2. In the forums part of the article people were saying that it required 260 Watts at idle when run at 4.1 GHz. I'm planning on running it somewhere near 3.6 GHz. About how many watts do you think that would consume and would it run okay with the 500 Watt power supply I'm gonna buy with it, while still having two CD/DVD drives connected and a X1600 Pro ATI Radeon graphics card?? Or would i need some more power?
    3. anyone seen any better deals? I'm not planning on breaking any records here, I just want to get a CPU for less than ~$110, have it get up past 3 GHz and be dual core if my mobo can even support it...

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    first off look up your MB specs and see what socket type it is. taking a shot in the dark, Im gonna say no thesetwo prcessors are different socket types. Dell hardware is shitty stuff anyways. go to newegg and buy a cheaper MB thats the appropriate socket type, and transfer all your peripherials over.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Don't even bother trying that. Just because it RAN at 4.1ghz does not mean it will run stable at 3.6ghz. Intel CPU's are not known for their (dis)ability to run stable when overclocked, so just trust me on this.

Plus, its already a dual core! Why do you need to overclock a dual core? That's just stupid! I mean, it has TWO CORES, each runs at 2.6ghz, so it's already running at 4.2ghz (on paper - in reality it's closer to 3.6, which is what you want anyway.) Pentum D's suck anyways!

Plus you don't even have a guarantee that it will work in your motherboard, it's gotta be the right socket. And plus, you can't overclock shit with a Dell motherboard, the BIOS prevents it.

For the love of god and all that is holy, DON'T buy that processor. You'll only be wasting your time and money. Instead, save up, get you a Core 2 Duo and a compatible motherboard. Or, get you an Athlon64 x2 and a socket AM2 motherboard, either will work.

You can get a Core 2 Duo and compatible board for around $350. You can get a comparable Athlon64 x2 with AM2 board for around $250. It's not that expensive.

but it isn't like I have a job and can just buy anything i really want/need. I have a birthday in September (which should get me about $200-250 worth of parts). Until then, though, I've only got $125 to work with. The processor I'm looking at ( http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=382327 ) is $60 so after that I'll have to wait for another $30 to cross my path to get the processor if i can. How much would a good enough mobo be? and are there programs that determine the motherboard? Is there some kinda list on the net that says what this Pentium D805 will work with?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    I say stick with what you have and wait untill you have a job. Later down the road you will be pissed that you dont have any cash. Trust me on this one. How old are you right now?

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    yeah, its much better to waste money on parts u cant use then to save up for parts that u actually can use.
    R.I.P Zoidberg

I would agree. In my opinion the PC platform is garbage, but if you have to have one there is a world of difference between a properly set-up PC with quality components and the bargain bin special.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    I would agree. In my opinion the PC platform is garbage, but if you have to have one there is a world of difference between a properly set-up PC with quality components and the bargain bin special.
    Exactly.

Dude, I can GUARANTEE you that if you buy that CPU (and it even works with your motherboard, which it most likely WON'T) that your machine will bluescreen every 10 minutes if you clock that processor over 2.8ghz.

Overclocking isn't cheap either, I hope you realize that. To properly overclock you need expensive components. That's not even to mention the extra strain it's gonna put on your video card because of the new PCI speed (set by your new front side bus multiplier.) Last time I overclocked a system I paid $38 for a Thermaltake CPU cooler (made for overclocking) plus another $15 for a small tube of Arctic Silver 5 (thermal paste) and you NEED this kind of stuff to keep an overclocked CPU from frying itself. With an extra $50 and what you currently have you could BUY a new CPU/motherboard/some RAM. I just bought a socket 478 MSI PM8M-V mainboard and a 3000mhz socket 478 Pentium 4 Northwood plus 512meg DDR-400 for $168. It ain't the greatest in the world but it made a great server on the cheap, plus it's reliable hardware (unlike a cheap ass Pentium D - that's like buying a slightly better Celeron you know.)

Just forget it and stick with what you have. Or play the fool and burn your existing system up. Your choice, but don't say I didn't warn you.

i dont see the point in upgrading if you have a working pc. get a nice big hard drive and use it till you can afford to buy a whole new system
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Quote Originally Posted by julie
    i dont see the point in upgrading if you have a working pc. get a nice big hard drive and use it till you can afford to buy a whole new system
    thats kind of a waste. its great that people can upgrade their computers, you get more from your intial investment. Its just dumb to fork out the $ for a new compelete system every time something goes wrong or you need a speed boost. You can extend the life and useability of your system with upgrades. Unless you are a straight baller, then go drop G's like it aint no thang. Its not that you should not upgrade, its that you should not buy cheap parts to do so. Upgrading a MB and CPU only can save a lot of money. You can reuse RAM, the hard drive, optical drives, the Video card, as well as the case. the costs of those components can add up when buying all new. plus whole new systems usually come with a monitor and keyboard/mouse, crap you dont really need if you already have it. but like i said if your a baller, ball on my friend. I wish I was a baller I would have a dual 3.0ghz intel power mac with two 30 inch hd cinema displays, damn i am pitching a tent just thinking about that.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    but like i said if your a baller, ball on my friend. I wish I was a baller I would have a dual 3.0ghz intel power mac with two 30 inch hd cinema displays, damn i am pitching a tent just thinking about that.
    damn me to, wtf u say that for makin me jealous

Well... I'm only 13 guys. I'll probably hold onto this computer until i do get one, whatever it will be. I bought it for $90 at a liquidation sale. it may be hard for some of you to recall, but at my age you really have to watch your money. as i said, I've got $125 after buying this computer and a home theater audio system (only $40). This dell has a 250 watt power supply, two hard drives connected to it (one that came in the computer and one i added from a shit box compaq from 1998). I have to check again on the motherboard but I am guessing it's stock... I like the motherboard though because it connects perfectly with the removable PCI bay thing. It also has a CD drive (stock). SO IN MY OPINION it's a fine computer, but I would like to get some upgrades for it. Obviously the Pentium 3 500Mhz processor in it isn't nearly enough to run the good games and the demanding apps. I can wait until September where I expect to get another $250 or more plus my current 125. So knowing some of my specs, what would you consider me to buy for this Dell Optiplex GX1

cant just drop a dual core cpu into a p3 board. its a totally different slot type
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    This is a good time waster, or a weekend project if you have money to spare. i mean i would do it if i have a desktop i can risk loosing and 125$ lying around.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    haha, still with the lofty ambitions and empty wallet eh? meh, I'm sittin pretty with my 3.8 p4 oc'd to 4.1 with vista. yay for me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast