Thread: New Computer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Computer 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker wolf0491's Avatar
    Ok I"m getting my uncle to build me a computer but not sure what to get. I want good stuff but don't want to go to expensive. Some prices will get cut down because his job is building computers and it isn't going to have a brand or anything. I was wondering what is the best stuff to get. Suggestions. I'm not getting Vista because it still has problems...

Member for over a year now!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Criagslist a mac and kiss your computer problems goodbye. I suggest a g4 MDD as a first mac. Go for the 1.5ghz, or at least the dual 500mhz. That may not seem like much speed but once your running a mac you will know 1.5ghz is more than enough for the normal tasks. Macs make much better use of their available resources than PCs. Unless you want to game, then go ahead and build a crap box full of a bunch of expensive parts that will be outdated within 6 months.

should have known you would talk about macs but I"m not sure if I want a mac yet. I was leaning toward the same thing I have XP but I'll look at more mac things first i guess.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    Hey wolf, go to my thread in this exact section. The thread is called "4.1GHz Processor for $91" and I got a whole lot of help. It will use the latest socket type from AMD (Socket AM2) and the motherboard is well respected. Also, if you know how to, with the Enermax Chakra case you can overclock without worrying. Here's what I'm getting:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131013 -MOBO
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130017 -Nice 7600GT graphics card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098 -Smooth 2GB RAM
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80727-8 -Dual core 4600+ AMD processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817162017 -600W Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118008 -Get two of these Zalman fans
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Chakra&x=0&y=0 -Cool cases (I recommend any of the first three)

If your not going to use your old computer bring it to your uncle and you can reuse the CD/DVD drive, the HDD, and of course keep your monitor if you can.
    Don't thank me, thank DarkED and everyone else in that thread that helped me.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    gskill ram? lol. Dude dont expect that ram to last long. Many say ram is ram, deff not true. I have Kingston hyper x in this machine and some no name crap in the upstairs comp and I see a big difference in performance. Spend the money on good ram and scrap getting new fans/new case/keyboards and crap. You can always upgrade that later, don't go cheap or you will be kicking yourself later down the road.

thats what i mean rob keep everything like your monitor and mouse keyboard etc. (defiantly you with you $90 something keyboard...). but I'm getting 2GB of ram(how much did that Kingston hyper x ram cost) and that should be enough since i don't use this as a gaming computer.I also decided to get 200Gb hard drive. better be enough space...

yeah, I guess that would be alright then. My ram cost almost $300 and it is only 1 gig. I guess it would be better to get that cheap stuff if you really wern stressing the machine that much.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...719&CatId=2531

$300 per GB well uh I think i'll get something that is not that much but still works good. i was thinking $200 and less.

oh I agree, its a rip..but I have yet to have any problems with it. So i'm quite happy.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker spleblem's Avatar
    id recomend not waisting to much money on a case
    a cheep 20 dollar one with loads of venlation in easy way of keeping ya price down.
    and i would defantly buy the hardrive of ebay
    there the things i would do to save round 250 bucks

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1231
    Spend the money on good ram and scrap getting new fans/new case/keyboards and crap. You can always upgrade that later, don't go cheap or you will be kicking yourself later down the road.
    Um, no? Dude, if you are getting a whole new system, ESPECIALLY anything by AMD, you NEED a new case with good fans. Well, you at least need the fans.

Newer tech runs hotter than older tech. It's a fact. And plus, gskill RAM isn't bad at all. It's not Kingston, but it's not as shitty as Samsung either. I'm using gskill DDR400 in my P4 machine and it works just fine and has been very reliable since day 1. It's decently quick too.

Get some good RAM but don't skimp on thermal management, you'll have problems.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    ^^^^
    which is why i think what I'm getting is going to be great. I think I'll have exactly what everybody in my position should. The Chakra case is GREAT for over clocking with it's huge side fan and then the two Zalman fans. I'm no pro at this (yet) but I think it's a good idea to grab a case with some nice upgrading options and that can be used for future technology. If you aren't going to really keep/use your old computer than just use it's case as long as it wasn't by Dell or whatever. I don't think it's a good idea to get the expensive ram because if you think about it, you can go Rob's way and end up with ONE gig stick of ram or you can go the way I'm gonna go (but probly not to this extent) and get 4 to 5 GB of RAM, and if those die out for some reason they're cheap as hell to upgrade It doesn't need to be great if you can still get more crammed onto your motherboard at a later time. And the monitor doesn't have to be fantastic either. I've got a MV520 CRT monitor and it's still kicking after 9 years. I got it going at 1024x768 and it's fine for now. No doubt I'll get a newer one from my Dad, but I think this would last another 2 to 3 years? Who knows.

so... get a new case if you don't already have one fairly new and not crap; load up on some of that ram cause it's cheap and 3 to 4 GB of RAM is better than 1 any day. Keep monitor as long as you can!
    BTW, just bought the Chakra case, the two Zalman fans, and the 600Watt PSU

no, im not saying run your system without fans, but I am saying don't waste your money on that kind of stuff now. If you have a few fans lying around use them for now you can always move up to faster and quieter fans later on.

well the case i have sucks and has linke one tiny fan and it is old...
    think about using this old emachines(emachines sucks...) case on my new computer that would make it look bad.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1231
    no, im not saying run your system without fans, but I am saying don't waste your money on that kind of stuff now. If you have a few fans lying around use them for now you can always move up to faster and quieter fans later on.
    That's true, but your average home computer user isn't gonna have that laying around. And it's not about quieter fans, my AMD box sounds like an F-16 when it runs. It's about cooling. And there's no bigger waste of money than to buy a new computer's worth of components and burn em' up, trust me. Warranty doesn't cover overheating.

Wolf: Just buy the new case. It's not a waste of money when you NEED it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast