Thread: This is what happens when a desktop and a laptop forget to use birth control...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 This is what happens when a desktop and a laptop forget to use birth control... 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    The story:

My uncle bought a laptop for $10 at a local garage sale. The seller insisted that it only needed an OS reinstall. My uncle called me and said that he wanted me to take a look and if it was unfixable then I could keep it for $10 and use the parts.

Got it home and got cracking on it and discovered that the VGA connector on the motherboard that goes to the laptop LCD was fried, however the external VGA / S-Video ports work fine, and everything else works fine.

So I called up my uncle and explained that it couldn't be fixed without a new mainboard and he told me to keep it. I thought about tearing it down for parts but it has pretty decent specs (for $10 anyway) so I got another idea:

Basically I just did away with the screen entirely (it's sitting on a toolbox in case you think I'm faking.) It's an HP Compaq nx5000. It has a 1200mhz Celeron (aka Centrino Mobile Technology ) and it originally had 256mb of RAM but I gave it 768mb with some spare laptop DDR I had laying around. Includes an Intel Extreme 2 video chipset using shared mem and a mini PCI Intel PRO wireless chipset. It also has a 30gb hard drive that I can swap with one of the two 60 giggers I have, and a wireless USB IR mouse I can plug up to it, effectively making a nice, quiet, compact media center PC. I'm going to buy a desk and better monitor for it tomorrow. I was also thinking of maybe making a vertical stand for it, ala X360 / PS2 / PS3

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    he shoots, he scores.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sevanyr's Avatar
    For $10 that was a sweet deal. Shame the screen didn't work; walltops are fun.
    Hong Kong TA-082 PSP-1006 /w Chotto Shot Camera, 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo and GTA:LCS Unpatched.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP WarstrongXan's Avatar
    dude you rock, that's great really happy for you may not be the best piece but it's better than mine. LOL it's a freaking desktop that runs at 500MHz using a Pentium 3 and has no add ons or anything, just PSU, mobo, CD drive, floppy drive, and one hard drive and it didn't come with any OS installed on it. Sure, all it's components were working, but the bottom of it is all cracked bad, there is a bunch of black on it's side and huge dent on it's underside atleast an inch deep. All that and I have it as my only PC currently guess what?! IT COST ME $95!!!!!!!!!!! after seeing you get this laptop with 250% speed of mine at 1/10 the price in a laptop form, I am not exactly feeling my smartest.
    EDIT: oh yeah, no monitor included, I have to use this crappy monitor I got with the Compaq my sister's boyfriend's mother gave me for free. Only one I've got.... anyways, on the case of screens, anybody know how I can get my new Bravia to be wirelessly connected via it's VGA port to the computer(s) I/my mom have? I think it'd be nice if her computer in the office so close to the Bravia could be used as a second monitor for great home movies viewing and watching everything on that computer (not much on their but to make her/ me happy I'd like a wireless adapter for the tv. I'm thinking we'd need a video card with a TV adapter, which I think that atleast I will have in a few months and she should have on her expensive dell. I'm gonna do a real quick look at what you can get, any recommendations on what I can do would be great. Thanks
    ....wow i type a lot...
    EDIT2: IDK what Im even supposed to look for, if someone could get me some kind of wireless version of the VGA or whatever type cord it was that came with my TV so that I can hook up my TV (already with the needed port to wire it up) to one (or maybe two someday) of the comps, wirelessly. My computers I assume are already capable of this, but the TV doesn't have the wireless receiver/transmitter

People here are throwing out 766mhz computers now for Spring Clean Up. If you searched hard enough, they're not hard to find. Try an industrial park, you'd be surprised. I'm on the look out for hard drives though, those are scarce for some reason. I have a k6-2 I could probably push to 600+ overclocked from 500 with some cooling and a celeron I could probably squeeze 700 out of from 500. But no hard drive. Gah!
    Hong Kong TA-082 PSP-1006 /w Chotto Shot Camera, 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo and GTA:LCS Unpatched.

god damn. where I work, microcenter, we always have processor MB combos on special. Right now it is a 1.8ghz single core AMD and a MB thats ram is expandable to 2GB; on board video as well. It goes out the door for $76 plus tax. So adding that old pc 3200/2700 ram and your HD and you are good to go. Less than 1ghz just don't cut it these days.

::::::::::::::::
    @Sevanyr

exactly how does piracy kill the homebrew scene? The homebrew scene is not profiting off gaming studios. The only way they could is if someone came out with a console selling App for the PSP, which IMO MGS: PO is the only one out. The number of people that go out and buy software FAR out numbers us pirates. Believe me its really hard not to say something when I sell people the $999 CS3 design suite or Vista ultimate for $399.

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    Less than 1ghz just don't cut it these days.
    Yes, but they're sure fun to tinker with. They're not bad file servers if you give them gigabit ethernet cards.

@ sevanyr

check my previous post edit, interested in your retort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevanyr
    Yes, but they're sure fun to tinker with. They're not bad file servers if you give them gigabit ethernet cards.
    True dat, and if it's a 1ghz+ with a better-than-crap videocard it can easily tear through DivX movies. That's the whole reason I wanted this laptop.

It even plays GTA San Andreas, albeit not very well, but playable.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    lol. nice work

@ sevanyr

check my previous post edit, interested in your retort.
    That's my signature. I firmly believe that the only reason Sony dosen't support homebrew is because of ISO usage. Homebrew is great, for many, many other things, but part of that means we need to prove "Homebrew" isn't just another word for "piracy".

The small blurb about EB just means no one should shop there under any circ(u)mstance, really. The people there leave much to be desired, thier products are overpriced and they have a horrible return policy. They also sell opened games as new in a deluded effort to stop shoplifting.

You're welcome to PM me or even make a new thread concerning my views if you so deisre. Now then, back to DarkED's notebook, eh?

Edit: I have an interesting idea for you, that I'm thinking of redoing myself. If you chose to make a stand for it, do so with the IR port facing outwards and use a program called WinLIRC to enable it to recieve remote control signals and have Winamp recieve them (I forget the plugin name for this one, but it's out there and it's for Winamp). Then, you could use IRSHELL on the PSP to control Winamp.

You'll need to be running Windows 98, however, so you can reconfigure the IR port to tell windows it's actually a serial port. Sure you could get a dongle, but mucking around is always so much more fun. I've done all of the above on an old p2 laptop I have, except the PSP bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevanyr
    Edit: I have an interesting idea for you, that I'm thinking of redoing myself. If you chose to make a stand for it, do so with the IR port facing outwards and use a program called WinLIRC to enable it to recieve remote control signals and have Winamp recieve them (I forget the plugin name for this one, but it's out there and it's for Winamp). Then, you could use IRSHELL on the PSP to control Winamp.

You'll need to be running Windows 98, however, so you can reconfigure the IR port to tell windows it's actually a serial port. Sure you could get a dongle, but mucking around is always so much more fun. I've done all of the above on an old p2 laptop I have, except the PSP bit.
    Good ideas, but I'd rather just buy a PC IR remote (yes, you can buy them) or use my IR mouse that I never use normally. For an everyday system I like wired mice, no batteries to fool with, etc. But for this project an IR optical mouse would be perfect.

hey thats a 479 socket intel.

you could make it a hackintosh and use an ir remote to use front row. That way you would essentially have an Apple media center setup.

I dont know how well OS X SSE(x86) supports the integrated chipset on that board.

Just an idea.

I love frontrow and use it all the time. Essentially makes my mini a media center with a simple but effective remote.

hey thats a 479 socket intel.

you could make it a hackintosh and use an ir remote to use front row. That way you would essentially have an Apple media center setup.

I dont know how well OS X SSE(x86) supports the integrated chipset on that board.

Just an idea.

I love frontrow and use it all the time. Essentially makes my mini a media center with a simple but effective remote.
    No can do, like I previously stated it's running a 1.2ghz Celeron, and that one doesn't have SSE2. OS X requires SSE2 to boot, and a few (Power PC) apps require SSE3 (aka Rosetta, iTunes.)

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    i want to learn how much my new computer is worth. it is a Sony VAIO, has 2.00 ghz, 1.00 gb ram, built in camera, Windows XP (might put Vista on it if my brother lets me and when i find out if it is a 32 bit or 64 bit) and 105gb. I dont know all the other specs or how to find them. I think it has High Definition for gaming. Can someone tell me how much this is worth.
    Firmware History

1.52 => 2.71 => 1.5 => 3.03 OE-C => 1.5 => 3.03 OE-C=> 3.40 OE-A

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A PSP IS??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast