Thread: Want to build new computer, main purpose-video editing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Want to build new computer, main purpose-video editing 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Alot of memory would be a huge plus, more than one disk burners, speed, something that would be worth a good investment ($1000-$1500) I plan to spend the bulk on memory and video, graphics, and sound cards. I want it to work, most of all. Other than the motherboard and anything else I forgot that can be upgraded at a later time but wouldn't be important now, i'm willing to go cheap on. Any leads?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Video editing is Mac territory. The Mac Pro we demo at my work place can render HD quality in amazingly short time frames.

Link to Mac pro page

Thats going to be more than you said you wanted to spend.

You can EBAY a nice G5 Mac pro setup in your price range though.

Getting a windows based video editing rig would be a big mistake.

Video editing is where the Macs really flex their muscle.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    yeah, buy a mac. windows is crap for video editing. any pro level video editer will tell you to do it all on a mac
    R.I.P Zoidberg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac-...QQcmdZViewItem

8 minutes left on this.

I cannot believe the low price for a dual g5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone is practically stealing this

**wait I took a closer look and it is beat to shit. Also the fine print says no boot. That could mean needs a OS install or worse. What a shame these are beautiful Macs and someone has abused this poor guy.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    wow, thats a steal. I wish I could use my Dad's account so bad right now!

As I read more, I know why its so cheap..
    "Item power on, but has no POST or Boot. Missing do***ents, keyboard, mouse, & power supply cord. As with all liquidation products this is sold 'as is' and what you see in the photo is what you are bidding on."

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    I'm a PC guy and I will tell you what parts to buy for the exact system you need, but this is totally Mac territory. Sorry, just don't want to lead you down the wrong path.

If it HAS to be a PC, I'd recommend something AMD 64-bit dual core. They tend to be very good for 3d renders and highres image editing, so I'm sure they would power through video editing. 2GB of fast good quality RAM (DDR400 / any DDR2) should do the trick, and I recommend Corsair or Kingston as the top choices when buying high performance RAM.

As far as video and sound go, you should do fine with an ATi All-in-Wonder card. They are a little old, but made for video / image editing and easy to find, just make sure you get at least a 128mb card, 256mb or more is preferable. If you want something a little newer I'd say go with an nVidia 6800-series or 7600-series card, either will do the trick in a pinch, and most have nice options / extra VGA/DVI ports. For sound, go with a Creative X-Fi, you'll get very rich sound with little noise or quality loss for a fair price. Extra audio in/out ports are a bonus.

You'll want a good monitor, something CRT with some high resolutions at a good refresh. A large LCD would also work in a pinch but then you've gotta worry about tearing and ghosting - CRT would do the job better. Sorry, but I'm not much for monitor knowledge, I just go with what I've got when it comes to monitors.

A large hard drive (preferably SATA/SATA2) and your choice of DVD/CD burners and you'll be set. A system like that would run you around $1500 to build (and including mouse/keyboard/case/hdd/dvd-cd drives) maybe a little less, maybe a little more. An extra you'll definitely want to have for video work would be a Creative Live Drive, or whatever the new equivalent to that is. It gives you remote functions and all kinds of nifty extras and it fits neatly in one of your DVD/CD drive expansion slots.

The problem is going to be finding a good video editing suite - none exist for Windows or Linux (yet.) Seriously, I recommend a Mac for you.

What I thought, I have been getting tired of windows, so I wouldn't go that direction. I never had a Mac, and only had one good pre-built computer (a gateway in 1999, lasted until 2003, had 2 computers since.) I do know Mac's were good enough to be used at CMU's video editing stuff. Thanks!

once you learn the operating system, youll never go back to windows. i had my first taste of a powerbook the other day.... just like candy
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    I cant agree more with Darked...

Do what he said and you'll go fine... Im a PC guy myself.. ^^ and thats what Id do.

I do 3D animation and my 6800 ULTRA 256mb PCI-e... Does the job perfectly wireframed/shaded and rendered modes. if you go over you'll be in Graphic heaven.

meh. a modern windows pc will be as fast as a older powerbook and costs 3x as much
    R.I.P Zoidberg

final cut pro studio 2, enough said.

as far as not knowing Macs were fast/good enough to do these tasks.

A quad core mac pro literally stomped a quad core gaming pc doing benchmarking at my workplace the other day. Both were running Vista ultimate, btw.

@julie

if a little taste has got you hooked, I suggest forking over the extra funds to get an Intel macbook. The G4 family are next in line to have their support killed off by Apple. Intels can run windows, and pretty much all the new software is being geared towards the Intels. Being a big PPC fan, i resisted going to get an Intel; but now I am VERY happy with it.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    final cut pro studio 2, enough said.
    Yep. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by urineanus
    as far as not knowing Macs were fast/good enough to do these tasks.

A quad core mac pro literally stomped a quad core gaming pc doing benchmarking at my workplace the other day. Both were running Vista ultimate, btw.

@julie

if a little taste has got you hooked, I suggest forking over the extra funds to get an Intel macbook. The G4 family are next in line to have their support killed off by Apple. Intels can run windows, and pretty much all the new software is being geared towards the Intels. Being a big PPC fan, i resisted going to get an Intel; but now I am VERY happy with it.
    This is the same story I'm getting from my Mac friends. Most have been PPC fans since way back in the early 90's but they say once you go Intel you'd never want to go back to PPC. The only processor that I could think of that would be better for Macs (than Intel) would be a Sparc CPU, and they are ungodly expensive and rare.

I'm also hoping to see Mac become compatible with other x86 processors, such as AMD. Intel is nice and all, but giving them a monopoly on Macs is kinda unfair to me. It'd just be nice to have the choice.

Damn,

look who's trash talking windows now. We got her hooked.

Ok, I've talked to many insiders (Teachers and Friends), and I was suprised to hear that Mac's were getting beat out by Alienware or Custom Computers.

I've found my needs:
    -A good CPU (Budget: Less than $200)
    -Video Card that supports Hi-Def,1080i or p (Budget- Less than $150)
    -4gb+ ram (Budget- $200)
    -Sound Card (Budget- Less than $100)
    -HDD (Not worried, can get 500gb for $100)
    -Case, Fans (Budget- $100 or less)
    -Linksys Wireless-B w/ Speedboost ($70)
    -OS (Budget-$150)
    -------------------------------------
    $1070

Did I miss anything? and is this possible, I'm at least working with $1250, so I may go up on some things. I would also hope be able to make upgrades later.
    Firmware History-
    1.0>1.5>2.71>3.11>3.50>1.5>3.40 OE-A
    Thanks to all who worked on 3.5 downgrader, you saved a PSP brought on the first day!

Not sure if you considered a motherboard. On that note, if $ is tight, I would suggest getting one with decent on-board audio and skip on the sound card for now and add it in when you have $. That'll either break you even or cost/save you a few bucks either way. Shop around for your router - you can always find nice deals on them for less than $70. As previously mentioned, a nice monitor is a must.

Something to consider is what you're going to want to replace in 6mo, a year, 2 years... Invest well in what you want to keep in the long term. Then consider cutting back some on things you'll replace soon. Lastly, everything that doesn't matter either way get as cheap as you can and replace later (e.g. you can get decent cases for -$50 with sufficient cooling and always throw everything into another case later, or use an old case! Also, you can always add additional hard drives).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast