Thread: Dell + Ubuntu = win?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Dell + Ubuntu = win? 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    So, dell's finally willing to come out and sell a portion of their desktops and laptops with ubuntu preloaded onto it (7.04 Feisty Fawn). In addition, according to http://digg.com/linux_unix/Dell_Ubun...an_Windows_PCs the prices will drop too (since ubuntu is free, so you dont have to pay for the windows OS). IMO, great play on dell- we have to get off of microsoft's nuts and have an alternate option for the average computer user.

Since i'm going off to college in the fall, I will definitely consider this as my laptop. Though not a big fan of dell... props to their CEO who confessed saying that he doesn't like windows and uses ubuntu himself (hehehe!)
    is it just me, or do newbies ALWAYS have the worst fucking grammar and spelling known to man?!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    I agree, great move by dell

Junior Member PSP User
    Yeah, I love linux and open office too ^^. I want to buy a linux server n make my own private network ^^ at home.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    yeah, that was a great move on dells part. I know a lot of people will go for the these computers seeing that vista is pure shit.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker urineanus's Avatar
    Am I the only one that sees through Micheal Dell's publicity stunt of using fiesty fawn? He only made the statement to move more units.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    never even heard of ubunto?? off to go find out whats so good about it.

jesus christ your windows dependency is showing.

**prime example of why most people use windows. They are not aware of, or afraid of, the alternatives. Kubuntu will make your computer way better than ever.

Even I ditch Os X for kubuntu on my mac every now and then. If I had a PC there would be no other choice for an OS in my mind.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP whitelamp's Avatar
    Awesome move...

To bad the ubuntu default is gnome...They should've used KDE instead and XFCE for basic workstations/low specs....

The next ideal move would to offer Red Hat/other linux server distribution for servers.

Dell does already offer redhat on their edge servers. I used to work the server line at the PN1 factory.

Absolutely hated Dell and the company's attitude, but $14/hr kept me there for a little bit.

How popular is Ubuntu ? (not in a bad way I am really curious)
    FW History: 2.81>3.03 lol

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker outsider's Avatar
    pretty popular. lots of people use it.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker DarkED's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitelamp
    To bad the ubuntu default is gnome...They should've used KDE instead and XFCE for basic workstations/low specs....
    No, Dell offers a choice of Ubuntu, Kubuntu (KDE) or Xubuntu (XFCE.) You can get whichever distro you want, so long as it's the most recent version (which is now 7.04 Feisty.)

Plus, all you gotta do is apt-get the desktop environment you want anyways. It's not really that big a deal. You can have more than one desktop environment installed at once, and you can switch at will.

KDE: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    XFCE: sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

And that's it.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker mime's Avatar
    I went to Sams goodies, and wow Vista is really nice... :P.. I mean is fast, the windows open nicely. You know it has the touch to 'enchant' you by the eyes.

Whats soo good about this "Ubuntu" thing??? what does this have that Windows DOES NOT?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP syko_cis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mime
    Whats soo good about this "Ubuntu" thing??? what does this have that Windows DOES NOT?
    The question should actually state, " What isn't good about Ubuntu? " It has pretty much everything your normal Windows machine can be found with. Office apps, a variety of internet browsers ( take your pick ), image editing software, cd/dvd copying, multimedia software. Not to mention, once you get Beryl installed and running, it makes Vista look like absolute S$^%!!!!!

I've had the opportunity to toy with Vista on my fathers laptop. Aero is not that impressive. You also need something to the equivalent of one of the super computers found at SETI that monitor radio transmissions in the cosmos to be happy with Vista's performance. I'm running Kubuntu Fiesty w/Beryl on an old 933mhz AMD system, it's not overclocked, running 512megs or ram, and my video card is crappy. Kubuntu runs more smoothly than my XP installation on the same machine.

I've only been using Kubuntu for a few months now so i'm still a novice user, but it is extremely easy to pick up. I love it, and the upgrade process is nutz. I clicked a button and the whole OS was upgraded in a matter of a few minutes ( and I really mean a FEW minutes ). Lets see the guys over at Micro***** implement something similar into there next OS. Wait, you won't because they are greedy, power hungry devils that are hell bent on ruling the world.

You don't have to take my word or for that matter anyone else's here. All I can say to you is this, if you have a genuine interest in seeing what Ubuntu or what ever flavor of the distro you choose, i'm going to tell you like DarkED told me, download Fiesty, burn the distro to CD, boot off the Live CD and try it out. That's one other thing that I think is hot about the OS, you can try it without having to install it onto you computer. Give it a shot.

PS. and i'm jealous. Initial D doesn't work on my PSP anymore.

mime-

your in denial, vista sucks; back away from the inferior OS. If you are so into graphic design, try a Mac. If you prefer to stay with your PC that you already have, put a linux distro on there. We should all make a conscious effort not to support a company like MS. Their business tactics are unfair and illegal in a lot of cases. When everyone still runs windows this signals to them that their behavior is acceptable. Microsoft made their fortune on thievery, Bill Gates is an unoriginal spoil sport that stole intellectual property from Apple, to make a foundation for the Goliath company MS is today. Boycott MS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast