Thread: external hard drive prob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 external hard drive prob. 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP GenJackson's Avatar
    i am so F'ed. every time i plug my seagate 160 gig hard-drive into my computer it practically freezes up until i unplug it. if i let it sit for like 10 minutes, it finally says the drive needs to be formatted. please tell me i don't have to. i have like 90 gig worth of stuff on in i really don't want to loose. i tried it on both my laptop and my desktop and got the same results. plz plz plz help

I don't mod much anymore, but I do give good game advice.

---------------------------------------------------

2.82 > 3.03 > GTA:LCS > 1.50 > 3.40oe > 3.52m33 v.4 > me.

Hello there, it sounds like your Hard Drive is Corrupted, Unfortunetly, there are a few steps you can try, Have you tried putting your pc on Safe Mode when you run it? Secondary Processes on your Computer can slow down the ext hd, There are also HD Recovery Software out there you can try, because there are a few bad sectors on your disk that is preventing it from opening, you havent lost everything completely, and last you can always ship it to seagate, for a fee they will put everything you have on that hd on dvds, using a very advanced machine. Good Luck

Dave

thanx man, i'll check into the hd recovery stuff

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    use checkdisk on it.

i don't think that fixes it, does anyone know of any good freeware or i'd actually even be willing to pay for real good software to get my stuff back. (90 gigs worth). i looked at seagates website and i think its can cost like 500 bucks for them to recover it.

i have come to terms with losing the data. its not letting me format it though.

ps. seagate told me it would cost 750 dollars to recover my data. and i hate them now

7. #7 Hmm... 
    If you havent done anything with the drive yet, there are still a few things you can do, it doesnt HAVE to be Seagate.. you can take it to a Comp Shop, not sure whats around your area.. places like Fry's Electroincs.. Comp USA, Best Buy.. etc.. will most likely do them as well.. you cant run a checkdisk on it either because in order to do a check disk on a HDD it needs to be active and readable, i did read you said something about reformating it, for your own good , trash it as soon as you get your info out of it.. it is not reliable.. and it will just keep causing the same problem over time.. Keep trying your HDD on different computers.. some can handle bad sectors as some cant, if you are up to the point where you are willing to do anything.. there is a way to force the disk to read, take your Ext HD's Enclosure a part, have only the bare HD out, set the jumper cables to Slave/Cable Select, either will work, make sure your first hard drives jumper cables are set to Master, your computer will boot up, NOW you can set a check disk, and it will do that on a restart, it will most likely get it to work, what it does is, all the "Homeless" files so they are called will be placed back where they belong, aka, the bad sectors on your hd that dont allow you to fully operate it. I Do this for a living =) good luck.

Dave

i actually got the chkdsk thing to work. i did lose all my stuff, then i added more stuff and it's doing it again. i swear to god. i have now lost over 100 gig and i am pissed. i really don't want to trash it. i think i paid like $160 bucks for it. does formating it not fix the bad sectors? or are they fixable at all? i don't know. i just know i have a paperweight, zero psp backup games, and no movie backups. and i make my own so they took forever.

i suppose since seagates wanting 750 dollars, then i don't mind opening the thing anymore. i'll have to read up on it though. i don't know what you're talking about with jumper cables and stuff.

oh, and i tried chkdsk j: f/ last night and it said something about not being able to fix it do to some fragmentation or something. either way. if you have anymore help dave. i really honestly appreciate it.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    I suggest partition ur HDD that way ur other pc wouldn't have to read the whole thing which is very hard (160GB "dam, that alot") on them.

Quote Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
    I suggest partition ur HDD that way ur other pc wouldn't have to read the whole thing which is very hard (160GB "dam, that alot") on them.
    it never had a problem running it before. how do you partition it though.

11. #11 Well.. 
    Inside your Hard Drive, there are usually 1-2 Metal Discs.. they are not allowed to be touched by ANYTHING.. how does a computer read it? Air Censored.. a little needle hovers over the top of the disk With out touching it.. and thats how you read a hard drive, now when you shut down the hard drive by just unpluging it.. or holding down your pc's power to force shut it.. the needle doesnt have time to move out back to where it rests.. so guess what.. that needle drops on top of your hard drives disk.. scratching it as it slows down the spinning .. and thats what happend to your Ext HD, its scratched.. and the information on that part that is severely scratched are the bad sectors on your HDD wich cant be fixed nor recovered, in the other hand like i said not your whole HD is gone.. the unsratched sections on the disc could have been recovered.. and i will say this once more to you my friend.. do not use that Hard Drive any more.. i just got myself 2 500g of Frys for $139.99 Seagate Etx, if you have a Frys Electronics Around you let me know, i can get you a discount, or if you want to save up on some money, you can buy a bare bone Hard Drive 300g for about 80-100 bucks, use the enclosure on your current ext hd to put on that 300g. =) there are many ways and options, and the reason Seagate charges tons of money for recoveries is because the machinary they use is worth millions of dollars.. meaning there arent many out there making it a high demand item.. unfortunetly. Bottom line here.. Dont use it anymore, its not worth the trouble..

ok i'll definitely be more careful with the next one, and what did it mean by fragmentation?

13. #13 Fragmenting.. 
    If you quote one of my earlier replys.. your will notice i mentioned the "Homeless Files" . and how the check disk places them back to where they belong, When you Format a HD, it places Hidden files on the HD itself you cant see, but it tells the HD preety much what kind of rig it will be working for.. after a while they may start getting moved around.. and what not as you place more and more information on your HD, next thing you know its De-Fragment time.. if you want to de-fragment you just go on [Start] [Program Files] [Accessories] [System Tools] and you will see it.. it will re organize the Orphan files back to their homes, and it will replace any bad ones with back ups. It might sound complicated, but all it means is, Put everything the way it has to be a.k.a restore =)

i'm gonna try and save the 10 something gigs i put on there after i thought i had fixed it. then i'll probably just trash it and buy another one.

just simply right-click on the icon in the "my computer" and click explore files. i believe this should work as i have a situation close to yours
    PSP FW History: 1.5->7.5->3.03OE-C->3.40OE-A->3.71M33-1->3.71M33-2
    HW History: PSP 1006->PSP 2006

I LOVE THE HELL OUT OF MY DAMN PSP!! And I dont understand why more prefer the NDSL to PSP

and i dont support communism

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
    I hate those sites it makes me waste my money LOL im j/k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast