Thread: Linux question... and pc help

1. #1 Linux question... and pc help 
    Member PSP User
    I'm trying to fix my dad's desktop and it just not working. It's a pretty old dhell, A Dhell Dimension L500r. I never liked it or the company cause I have nothing but bad experiences. It came with defective DOA speakers that dell refused to fix back in 1999. and their this other desktop with a "Blinking Amber" hardware failure cause of a PSU giving out.... I fix that one but was mad that Dell refused to send a new PSU since the desktop was barely a yr old. Bought a Thermaltake that was less than half the price they wanted. It's fixed but now this computer is acting up.

I reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP and a few programs. Then the problems came rolling in with new ones.

All my dad uses is internet, Picasa, and Office 2007. What my dad always ask me is the same question I have, "Why can't a computer handle the same applications as it did several yrs ago?" Granted it was windows 98 back then but it barley handles that anymore much less than now.

I really want to give Linux a try, is it really an OS? Cause I remember someone saying it's really a Kennel? I downloaded Kubunku as a first choice but when I burn to cd with PowerISO I ended up with "coasters"?

Which Linux should I get to install on the computer? Something close to windows and user friendly. Hopefully nothing involving command lines. Also extremely easy on system resources. I'm browsing distrowatch.com and I dunno which Linux to get.

If someone can give me a run down of Linux Pros and let me know which version of linux I should try out that would be great!

Junior Member PSP User
    I cant give you a run down on all the linux distros but i like Ubuntu. Using linux is going to take some getting used to though as its not designed for mainly for user-friendliness like windows is... When you say it "cant handle" the apps what exactly do you mean? and you could always try and use a stripped down copy of windows like Tinyxp or microxp (google it) which uses less resources if that is the issue..

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker zII Snowman IIz's Avatar
    My dad has linux,, and i dont like it i have xp. Linux is good in some ways but i prefer xp

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    i have no choice, i deleted a linux partition and it messed with GRUB (bootloader) so i couldnt access anything. had to install ubuntu 7.04 on my entire HD. i miss windows...

its an OS. and ubuntu is user friendly, dont get kubuntu, it cant compare to ubuntu IMO

ok kubuntu uses a KDE desktop, its more of a windows layout, while ubuntu uses GNOME which is like windows upside down (start bar). i prefer it because theres way more support for it than kubuntu and it is very fun to manage. and its super easy to install stuff because it does most of the work for you, like to install firefox

Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    ^^ typing that in terminal installs firefox, simple as that. dont have to worry about viruses, and if you do get windows homesick, you can always get WINE. (note: wine doesnt run EVERY windows program, but most common things)

i just miss windows for a few reasons (like gaming) but i play wolfenstein ET on linux and im ok with that. and its very smooth. you have any questoions my AIM is rell109 and my Xfire is Rell109
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    when you uninstalled linux all you had to do was fixmbr to get rid of grub :P

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    i didnt uninstall linux... i went into WinXP and deleted the partition. i though it was that easy. guess not
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS