Thread: Trying to get a monitor to work

1. #1 Trying to get a monitor to work 
    CED
    I have a desktop computer and my monitor recently died. I have a laptop and was wondering if there was anyway I could use my laptops screen as my monitor for my desktop? I also have a projector but can't seem to figure out how to hook my desktop up to it. I tried using an S-Video cord but it didn't show any signal. Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP K-Wurx's Avatar
    All of this depends on what type of inputs you have on the tower of your desktop...With the right inputs and cords, I know you can hook it up to a projector...About the laptop, I'd imagine it's possible but I'm not sure what you'd need to do...
    Game Systems: PS1, PS2 x 2, X-Box with media center, Nintendo Wii w/WiiKey modchip.

Multimedia Systems: PSP Slim W/ CFW 3.71 M33-3, 30GB IPod Video w/ Custom Theme+Rockbox+Podzilla, 4 GB IPod Nano (Newest generation), 30GB Zune.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Laptop Converted to 2nd Monitor - Instructables - DIY, How To, tech

Found that on hackaday a while back. Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's the best you'll be able to do without a straight-up video-in line on your laptop. Come to think of it, I've been looking into PCMCIA TV tuners and they're down to ~$30 shipped. If your desktop has s-video out (you may have s-video in, or simply haven't configured your video card correctly), that would be a quick and simple solution to the problem. You'd probably be limited to 640x480 (native NTSC TV resolution), but at least it'd work...And your laptop would also be a TV, which is always a plus. DTV and HDTV cards exist as well, but I haven't priced them.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP K-Wurx's Avatar
    Uhh Captain...Although that little mod isn't overly difficult to do, it does take at least some knowledge of the hardware itself as I'm sure you need to do some hardmodding to the labtop itself...Also, he is doing this for his desktop, not his labtop
    Game Systems: PS1, PS2 x 2, X-Box with media center, Nintendo Wii w/WiiKey modchip.

Multimedia Systems: PSP Slim W/ CFW 3.71 M33-3, 30GB IPod Video w/ Custom Theme+Rockbox+Podzilla, 4 GB IPod Nano (Newest generation), 30GB Zune.

Junior Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by CED View Post
    I have a desktop computer and my monitor recently died. I have a laptop and was wondering if there was anyway I could use my laptops screen as my monitor for my desktop? I also have a projector but can't seem to figure out how to hook my desktop up to it. I tried using an S-Video cord but it didn't show any signal. Any help would be appreciated.
    Unless your laptop has a special video in, which many laptops dont have, the short answer is no. However it would be possible with other parts and labor but it would be much much more efficient to just get a new monitor. As for hooking up the projector it should have come with a "Y" type monitor cord. Plug the single end of it into where you have your monitor currently plugged in, then plug one of the 2 "Y" parts to your monitor and the other to your projector... And then turn it on, wait for it to warm up and press the "Input" button until it cycles though to your screen.