Thread: A Bit Of C++ Explanation

1. #1 A Bit Of C++ Explanation 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Ive been learning C++ recently and, the book i have is very good but i need to clarify somethings up, and need help understanding others.

1. Am i right in saying that Libraries ( e.g. iostream) are taken from your operating system files located on your HD?

2. Could someone explain to me, in their view, what variables and constants are?

3.In the book i see the "cout" statement being used a lot. Could someone again in their view explain this to me.

4. Im using Borlands C++ Builder to compile my files, when i install it should it show up in the start menu (under programs) or does anyone have a guide for it.

5. Does anyone recommend any noob friendly compiler?

Thanks to all who can help

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

Senior Member I Modded My PSP musicalpsp's Avatar
    as far as compilers go, i get mine all from thefreecountry.com: Free Programmers' Resources, Free Webmasters' Resources, Free Security Resources

Variables: a variable is a way to store any data for temporary use
    ex. say i wanted to write a simple program that needed some input data. I could store the input data to a variable, then reprint the variable.

here is an example in BASIC:

name$ = Input("what is your name?")
    Print "Hello " + name$

in this case, name$ is the variable, used to store the name of whoever the person is. it was then used to reprint their name after hello.

i hope i helped

Quote Originally Posted by musicalpsp View Post
    as far as compilers go, i get mine all from thefreecountry.com: Free Programmers' Resources, Free Webmasters' Resources, Free Security Resources

Variables: a variable is a way to store any data for temporary use
    ex. say i wanted to write a simple program that needed some input data. I could store the input data to a variable, then reprint the variable.

here is an example in BASIC:

name$ = Input("what is your name?")
    Print "Hello " + name$

in this case, name$ is the variable, used to store the name of whoever the person is. it was then used to reprint their name after hello.

i hope i helped
    Thanks, i think i understand variables now, just needed clearing up.
    And thanks for the link, im on their just now looking

[!]

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    if you need any help with C ++ my friend owns at it - i can ask him for you. he is making some games which he is going to release, made with C ++
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Quote Originally Posted by pokey8349 View Post
    if you need any help with C ++ my friend owns at it - i can ask him for you. he is making some games which he is going to release, made with C ++
    Yeah if you could that'd be great. Just i need the questions above answered, MusicalPSP done great at the 2 he answered, and ive got a compiler.
    Thing is i have no help from a professional at all, my school only teaches RealBASIC lol, so i only have a book and online resources to help me.
    Thanks

*Bump. Anyone else wanna answer my other Q's?
    Last edited by Andromeda; 03-23-2008 at 02:10 PM.

[!]

cout is a function from the iostream header file. Short for "console out", prints stuff to a command line. cin is used to retrieve information typed from the command prompt, i.e.

cout << "What is your name?";
    cin >> nameVariable;

where nameVariable is a declared variable in which you want to store whatever the user typed in response.

The standard library files are included with most compilers. They are not a part of windows. Header files include the code for specific functions etc. that would otherwise need to be coded in your C file. It cleans things up and allows for modularity and re-use of code. Once you get a hang of things, I cannot emphasize enough that you learn to use the Standard Template Library (STL). It's EXTREMELY powerful and will make your life SOOOOO much easier.

As far as compilers go, in windows, visual studio is by far the best, much better than borland anyways, but it's not cheap. I know Eclipse and NetBeans have plugins for C++ development, But I would recommend checking out the Visual C++ Express version since you don't need the whole visual studio. It's free and you can get it from here: Downloads