Thread: New Laptop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Laptop 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP musicalpsp's Avatar
    Hey i'm looking to buy a new laptop, basically for school, programming, and to run and download stuff for my psp. I have a low budget, maybe 700$. I was looking at the dell inspiron 1525. And i thought since dell has a customizable option, why not. So i added upgrades for a core 2 duo processors and an extra gig of ram.
    It would now run:
    vista home basic with the core 2 duo
    with 2 gig of ram

everything else is standard

basically my question is, do i need anything else?

also, do i need the 2gig or ram? or can i get away with 1? whats the difference
    ^^i'm asking this because this kid at my school said that for vista2 gig's of ram runs faster

feel free to post suggestions or ask questions

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    I'd suggest using XP if you can. It will not only be cheaper, but a lot better for you if you use XP. And if they're only allowing Vista or none, choose none and buy XP from ebay or somewhere and install it yourself.
    And if you're using Vista, you should have at least 3 gigs or memory, so you'll maybe scrape by with 2 gigs, but there's no way in hell you could run Vista at full speed with a gig a' RAM.
    Which is perfect for XP, because you'll want to use 2 gigs to get the best performance.

(Sorry, my post felt really messy, but I'm not going to fix it...)
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

lol ok, so the dell laptops automatically come with vista, what can i do?

should i get rid of it and install xp? how expensive is xp?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    xp shouldnt be expensive at all... i wouldnt pay over 50 bucks for a copy
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

so would it be hard to install xp if vista was already on it? or not?

whats wrong with vista? is it just slow? or is there more

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    In a direct comparison of Vista vs XP on the same machine, XP will run faster hands down...Unless, of course, you have the perfect (ie bleeding edge) setup with ALL of the eye candy turned off.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're going to buy a Dell you're better off taking your money and flushing it down the toilet. $700 should be able to get you a decent refurbished Thinkpad or Vaio. Considering the fact that you're asking what to buy, I'm guessing that you don't have the knowhow to fix a problem (fried part or whatever) should it arise... In your situation, I'd shop around and find the best warranty.

You've got to remember that there is really no major difference between the laptops out there when it comes to what they will do. If you go by comparitively spec'd machines, Dell will be the cheapest with Sony, Fujitsu (the new lifebooks are insane), and IBM/Lenovo at the highest end. Macs are all right, but considering that you can run OSX on just about anything now you're really only paying for the name.

If you're getting this for school, get something small...Smaller = less power consumption = longer battery life... My T40 is 5lbs and gets 5 hours - Sure, it aint no core duo and I'm never going to be able to play Bioshock on it, but it's more than enough for papers/internet/movies and some light-duty chemical modeling. My roommate's got some 15lb HP behemoth - I have no idea how he manages to carry it around all day, but needless to say I've never seen him take it anywhere on the run without needing his backpack. Sure, it was half the price of what mine would have been new, but you get what you pay for...

I seem to have gone off on a tangent here... Basically, I'd recommend getting the smallest thing you can find with AT LEAST a 1-year parts/labor warranty. If you don't think you can fix it, you WILL NEED a warranty with modern laptops...I can't even begin to count how many I've seen shit the bed in under a year (usually around the 6-month mark, though a few have failed under in under 1). Bare minimum you're looking for is a Core Duo 1.6, 512mb (1gig should be the new minimum, but 512's fine for XP), 40gig HDD and a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. I also recommend Matte screens over glossy, despite the fact that they're being phased out, simply due to the fact that a glossy screen effectively becomes a mirror in a lecture hall with flourescent lighting or in direct sunlight.
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

7. #7 well 
    ibe2fly4chu
    he is absoultely right in that all new computers now come with windows vista. However i would highly not suggest to downgrade it because some of the known problems is that the hard ware in vista machines use different plugins and so even when you downgrade successfully...SOMETIMES some of the stuff doesnt work ( the biggest one i have seen is the sound plugins, those are a real ho to find if u dont already have em)u. Anyway my opinion would be first get vista home premium at least. For 700 bucks you can definately get some thing with that calibre. Also what i would do is dual boot the system so i get to run xp and vista. (i have set up dual boot on vista machines before..lol never stayed long enough to see how it works but i heard it works fine with some exception). The reason y i recomend this is because instead of wipeing out the original os that it came with ( i mean you are paying for it after all) you can have both and lets say u dont like how the machine is running xp..then u can safely remove it. Hell if u can i would throw in unix on there if i could. Anyway just hope that helps ^^.
    Last edited by ibe2fly4chu; 03-30-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMB3Rs View Post
    xp shouldnt be expensive at all... i wouldnt pay over 50 bucks for a copy
    Youd think, but i checked my local computer shop for windows XP professional and it came in at £239.99. about the same price as a low range computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

My mom has an Acer that she got for 600 i think. Its a 1.8ghz dual-core AMD with 1gb ddr2 ram and it runs vista very well. Its not insanely fast or anything, but it runs well. Its like 17" though so its kind of a beast.
    As long as you dont mind AMD cpu's this will probably be fine for you: Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5520-5908 NoteBook AMD Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-55(1.80GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 667 120GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M - Retail

Anything with a core2duo starts at about 700:
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
    Very funny....not.

thanks for the advice guys, so can anyone give me a couple links to show me my best options here?

once again my budget is like 700$ max and im looking for a comp thats relatively fast, good enough to run mltiple programs and internet at same time

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    ANY modern system will do what you want to do. What you want to shop by is the MAXIMUM you're going to need. Are you a hardcore gamer? If not, you can look at lower to medium end systems. How long do you plan on keeping this? One year, two, three... Will you be trading it in when you buy the next one, or sell it off separately?

You see the kinds of questions I'm asking...No one system will fit anyone. Get back to us on how big you want it, what types of games you're going to be playing, and how long of a lifespan you'd like to squeeze out of it and I'm sure you'll get some actual recommendations.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with Newegg...Their customer service sucks, but the products and prices are great. Never had any luck with their tracking numbers, but they've never lost/forgot a package either.
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

if youre on a budget of $700 ebay should get you some really nice stuff, if youre willing to buy from there.
    Check this one out (only 1.4GHz though) for $659 ONO : NEW ~ DELL VOSTRO 1500 LAPTOP NOTEBOOK CORE 2 DUO T5270 - eBay (item 140217445417 end time Mar-30-08 17:06:14 PDT)

I also found this one: New HP Compaq Presario F750US LAPTOP Notebook Dual Core - eBay (item 180226693357 end time Mar-30-08 18:33:45 PDT)

If you buy from eBay youre probably gonna get more for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

DO NOT buy an HP. Please, just steer the complete opposite direction.
    Very funny....not.

ok, well to help narrow it down a little, im not interested in playing games on it that much, and i'm interested in keeping it for about 5 years...

i dont really care about graphics or sound or extra programs, i'm just interested in have acomputer thats relatively fast that i can use for e-mail, school work, and a little programming (along with psp of course)

if i were you, i would be buying one of the core2duo acers. Just my opinion though. I dont like laptops much (im more of a tower guy), but if i had to choose for your price range i would get the Acer as5720 (1.66 core2duo, 15.4", 1gb ram...). If you want to dave cash you could get an AMD cpu, but i personally would choose the core2duo for osx86.
    Very funny....not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast