Thread: Linux > Vista > OSX

1. #1 Linux > Vista > OSX 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    PC World - Vista, MacBook Out--Only Linux Left in Hacking Contest

For those who dont want to read that, there is a competition called Pwn 2 Own. Hackers try to hack into vista sp1, osx 10.5.2, and Linux 2.6.21(i think).
    2 Minutes of work and OSX fell by a Safari exploit.
    2 days of work and Vista was hacked using Java (which could be used cross-platform, but the safari exploit in osx is much easier, obviously)
    Linux was not hacked.

Granted, linux could be hacked with the java exploit, but the guy who hacked vista was already familiar with hacking NT and it took him 2 days, it would probably take a while week for him to get into linux.

Vista is obviously the most secure windows to date. They hacked the 32bit edition and the 64bit version is supposedly more secure (although nobody uses it because of its lack of drivers).

The "unhackable" osx was hacked rather quickly. I wasnt surprised it was through safari though, the safari for windows port was full of holes. The only thing keeping osx secure (considering you are using firefox) is bsd, which the apple devs didnt even write. If osx keeps gaining momentum they might actually have to learn how to code security into their os and programs.

Alot of people found linux bugs but "didnt feel like putting the time into it" or something. What the means exactly idk. It might mean that the hackers were lazy about getting into linux, or that the bugs would require several days of work to get them into the system.
    Very funny....not.

Nice post.
    Although i dont care about OSX being the "first to go." i still love it
    Never really cared for vista...
    But im needing to get into linux. When i buy an external HD i think ill triple boot linux, xp and OSX.
    I heard somewhere that Microsoft backed up all their servers on linux servers during the big Dos Attack, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkheart13
    PWNED BICH DONT EVEN ATTEMP TO MAKE AN INSULT..
    [!]

i love linux, but its lack of software (cough*photoshop*cough) and the fact that my hardware randomly stops working in it keep me in Vista/OSX.
    I dont get why people hate vista so much. I have TinyVista installed and its just as fast as XP Pro. Meh.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Impossible macs are teh best!11111

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    I dont get why people hate vista so much. I have TinyVista installed and its just as fast as XP Pro. Meh.
    Because they either have a shit computer, don't know how to tweak it, are a mad apple fanboy, or are one of those people that say macs are better, but don't know why and know nothing about computers (you know people in real life that say "get a mac! they are the best, oh by the way how do I log into windows?").

lol, so true.
    I spent literally 5 minutes tweaking vista and it is pretty fast even on my old pc.
    It's cool to hate MS i guess... At least their os is somewhat secure.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker pokey8349's Avatar
    i love vista - i prefer it to XP by a longshot and I agree Canada, i don't know why people criticise it - so what if it has a few bugs, big deal

Vista FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    i can only imagine you making halo references during sex lol

"oh god... the flood is coming... ahhhhhhh"
    NEW SITE-RECRUITING STAFF JOIN>> www.modifyurpsp.co.nr

Trust Unto God and He Shall Direct Your Path

Visit the site for free ISO's and movies! - http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Senior Member I Modded My PSP benjammin316's Avatar
    I love my Vista
    O RLY?

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    i used to use linux. the best thing about linux is that it cant get any viruses (i dont know if that phrase is still true, that was a while ago), and its the perfect OS for lazy people

ubuntu user: sudo apt-get install firefox

it downloads/installs the app for you, win much?
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    i love linux, but its lack of software (cough*photoshop*cough)
    Not True! Wine will run damn near any windows app, including photoshop and MS Office! I use it for Crimson Editor for my COBOL programming, and it works like a charm. And if you get Cedega, you can even run windows games on it...

I've tried many different ways to get CS2 running in wine and its never been stable enough for daily use. I havent tried for a few months, and im sure the wine team has been making good progress, but nothing is quite like running a program natively.

I hear SP1 for vista is really kick-ass, but it doesnt install on versions stripped down with vLite. I'll have to find a copy of vista with sp1 slipstreamed (m too lazy to do it myself) and vLite the heck out of it.

@Numb3ers:
    Linux can get viruses, but you would have to manually install it. So its pretty much impossible unless you are a complete idiot.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    yea thats what i meant @ canada, and alot of window apps can run thru wine with some tweakage
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS