Thread: Need help buying a laptop

1. #1 Need help buying a laptop 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    My sister wants a laptop and came to me for help, but idk much about pre-built computers seeing as i build my desktops and dont have a lappy. Anyway, she doesnt want to spend more than $500. Dell has an offer for the Inspiron 1525 with 2gb ram, a 2ghz celeron single core, 120gb hdd, and vista home basic w/sp1 for an even $500. It seems like a pretty good deal, but theres no sense in buying a single core cpu anymore, imo, so i was checking out newegg and found a "recertified" (i love how they dont say Refurbished anymore, lol) Compaq with slightly better specs (Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario F756NR NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M) , the most important being the dual-core 1.9ghz cpu. I havnt bought a pre-built in a while, so i dont even know what brands are worth buying. How does compaq do?
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker sinphaltimus's Avatar
    When it comes to laptops, you get what you get. That copaq deal seems good. My experience has been that compaqs are a little bigger/heavier than other brands but all around a good laptop. You can search CNEt for reviews and see what they have to say.
    I have a PIII compaq Armada for sale for $76 bux, comes with 2 power supplieas and a docking station, 40GB HDD, and 512MBs ram. Nothig special at all and old but it's good for the basic email, internet office.

Gaming Art & Design Student - www.digital-church.com

Senior Member I Modded My PSP
    Considering that the max cpu speed on a lapi is 2.5 duo due to the bus speed...

Ide say its an alright deal... but for 500, that isnt much money to get a decent lapi... Well for what I do =)
    I love Phebe ^^
    I are the ELITE HACKER//MODDER
    Australia NSW ^^

Junior Member PSP User
    I think that the Newegg laptop would be your best buy and I can't say much on them though cause I too am a comp building type myself...I like to know what is all inside and at my choice..I think for 500 that isn't a bad comp at all and after a few years she will upgrade anyways I'm sure..Gotta keep up with the times..LOL...Well take care and best of luck!!

I'm Pitching A Tent PSP Elite Hacker Chriscyco30's Avatar
    The Dell Inspiron 1525 is great, my friend has the laptop,but with only 3 gb of ram and some other stuff that I forget. He got it for a good 800 bucks, but when I saw that baby I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by milolamb View Post
    Ide say its an alright deal... but for 500, that isnt much money to get a decent lapi... Well for what I do =)
    If it's not being used for gaming or any type of graphic design $500 can get you an ok laptop:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...8&catid=25253#

It's not the best but depending on what you need it for it'll get the job done. I would also probably go for the compaq deal though because i've never had any problems with any of their stuff before.
    Last edited by john_kydd; 08-02-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Mmm... i have Walmart.com: HP 17" Pavilion dv9819wm Laptop PC w/ AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TL-62: Computers this lap top.. it works great. (startup is a little annoying) but other than that, it's the best laptop i ever used... my friends have laptops, and they always ask me to bring mine so they can use it for a little... so yea.. i think its the best (I has a finger swiper area [for security] built in mic [auto configured so you don't have to do any nerd like work] built in webcam [also auto configured so when you go to show someone your boobies =P, you won't have to do much but click the webcam button] have fun)
    BlackBerry Messenger-30651FFA

If you need anything you can reach me there pretty much always =P

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Klause's Avatar
    I was in the same boat as you are...I don't know much about pre-built computers but I wanted a laptop for...just media and school, etc. Not for gaming or anything, have my desktop for that.
    But, shopping around...BestBuy had what I wanted.
    Its a Gateway With 2.0ghz duo intel centrino processor, 3gb of ram, ati x3100 384mb video card, 160gb hdd
    Its nice and i would recommend it for the non gamer.

Its regularly priced at $700 but I picked it up yesterday for $550 (back to school sales) with a printer and an extended accidental warranty for $737.59

BestBuy rules for in-town purchases if you're worried about getting a lemon and don't want to pay for RMA.
    Last edited by Klause; 08-20-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rebal_23 View Post
    does anyone know of any games that dont need a custom firmware
    lol

Senior Member I Modded My PSP LOLMAO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    How does compaq do?
    well me and my family have all owned compaq at one point or another and we have all had one problem or another like for my model (Compaq - Presario F500) the wifi switch broke and i lost wifi until me and my cousin went and had to physically had to fix it like opening up my laptop! and for his compaq (Idk what model) his screen went out and after a while eventually we diagnosed the problem and he had to buy a new motherboard! so i dont suggest compaq at all and before you buy a model look into it so you can see what kind of common problems occur to save you the repair time/bill even though you may be able to fix it you still probably wouldn't want the stress
    ~Sincerely LOLMAO
    How To Downgrade A PSP|How To Check What Motherboard You Have|Tips For A New PSP Owner|How To Put Music On Your PSP|Supply Shop

PSP HISTORY: 3.71(OFW) -> 1.50 -> IDR -> 4.01 -> 4.01M33-1 -> 4.01M33-2 -> 5.00(BROKE) -> 3.71 -> 4.01 -> 3.71 -> 4.01M33-2 -> 1.50(OFW)

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Klause's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLMAO View Post
    well me and my family have all owned compaq at one point or another and we have all had one problem or another like for my model (Compaq - Presario F500) the wifi switch broke and i lost wifi until me and my cousin went and had to physically had to fix it like opening up my laptop! and for his compaq (Idk what model) his screen went out and after a while eventually we diagnosed the problem and he had to buy a new motherboard! so i dont suggest compaq at all and before you buy a model look into it so you can see what kind of common problems occur to save you the repair time/bill even though you may be able to fix it you still probably wouldn't want the stress
    Buying an accidental plan saves you from all this stress and trouble.
    Most typically cover everything except swimming with your computer or getting it lost or "stolen"
    They cost around $100 for a year or so. $100 is the same if not less than what most computer repairs cost. Especially for laptops. And in many cases, if you're having the same issues over and over again or they fix it, they just give you a new computer.
    In the cases that I have used an accidental plan, I just tell them what is wrong, and they give me in store credit to buy whatever else I want. If its more expensive, you just pay the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by rebal_23 View Post
    does anyone know of any games that dont need a custom firmware
    lol

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker drew00629's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    My sister wants a laptop and came to me for help, but idk much about pre-built computers seeing as i build my desktops and dont have a lappy. Anyway, she doesnt want to spend more than $500. Dell has an offer for the Inspiron 1525 with 2gb ram, a 2ghz celeron single core, 120gb hdd, and vista home basic w/sp1 for an even $500. It seems like a pretty good deal, but theres no sense in buying a single core cpu anymore, imo, so i was checking out newegg and found a "recertified" (i love how they dont say Refurbished anymore, lol) Compaq with slightly better specs (Newegg.com - Recertified: COMPAQ Presario F756NR NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7000M) , the most important being the dual-core 1.9ghz cpu. I havnt bought a pre-built in a while, so i dont even know what brands are worth buying. How does compaq do?
    go to your local post office and grab a movers bundle. There is a 10% off coupon for best buy. head there and they have a dell inspiron notebook for $450. this will be right around $405 AC.. then you can take that extra $50 or so after taxes and buy 2gb more ram
    SKU: 8878002
    * Jet Black
    * Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2390-1.86GHz
    * 15.4" Glossy XGA HD widescreen (1280 x 800)
    * 2GB DDR2 (expandable to 4GB)
    * 160GB SATA HDD 5400 RPM
    * Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
    * Intel Integrated X3100 Graphics
    * Lithium-ion w/ 6 Cell Battery
    * Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1

stay away from refurbs. most of the time they dont even carry a warranty over 90 days

if either of you are in college, go to the dell perferred page and sign up using your college email address. you might be able to get a discount on a dell or HP/Compaq (if your school has a deal with with either)

that's a pretty great deal drew if only i didn't just win my laptop.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    i would go with HP. very reliable, heres a good laptop for only $550.
    Buy an HP Pavilion dv5z series notebook PC from HP

Senior Member I Modded My PSP LOLMAO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klause View Post
    Buying an accidental plan saves you from all this stress and trouble.
    Most typically cover everything except swimming with your computer or getting it lost or "stolen"
    They cost around $100 for a year or so. $100 is the same if not less than what most computer repairs cost. Especially for laptops. And in many cases, if you're having the same issues over and over again or they fix it, they just give you a new computer.
    In the cases that I have used an accidental plan, I just tell them what is wrong, and they give me in store credit to buy whatever else I want. If its more expensive, you just pay the difference.
    i could of sent it in for repairs for free because i had 1 week left of the warranty but i still just dont recommend it besides i cant afford even a $100 a year warranty thing i cant even pay for the $5 monthly fee for runescape lmao
    ~Sincerely LOLMAO
    How To Downgrade A PSP|How To Check What Motherboard You Have|Tips For A New PSP Owner|How To Put Music On Your PSP|Supply Shop

PSP HISTORY: 3.71(OFW) -> 1.50 -> IDR -> 4.01 -> 4.01M33-1 -> 4.01M33-2 -> 5.00(BROKE) -> 3.71 -> 4.01 -> 3.71 -> 4.01M33-2 -> 1.50(OFW)