Thread: New OS for my Laptop

1. #1 New OS for my Laptop 
    Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Daxmaurier's Avatar
    Ok, so heres the short version.
    i'm currently running a Dell XPS M2010 with window XP media Center.
    As it is, I'm not overly impresed with windows and have been thinking on changeing my OS to something else, but I'm not overly sure what I should change to.
    Right now, I manily use my system for gaming, media and surfing the web.
    Any suggestions?
    PSP History
    V 2.81 -> Pandora -> 3.71 m33-2 -> 3.90 M33-3

"Maybe... if you spend your life worrying... then the only way that your life will have meaning is if what you fear becomes real."

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sven's Avatar
    IDK Maybe Mac(You Have To Pay) or Ubuntu(Free)

☭Коммунизм для нашего будущего!☭

KmR
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker KmR's Avatar
    This isn't firmware we are talking about. Just live with it. Or downgrade to regular XP. You don't sound to computer savvy based on the fact your asking about other operating systems. Therefore I strongly advise you don't install some form of Linux. Plus, since your a PC gamer, windows is your only option.
    Google.com - Man's best friend.
    Prizerebel.com - Free shit. It works. Received $183.864 worth of prizes so far.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Sven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmr575 View Post
    This isn't firmware we are talking about. Just live with it. Or downgrade to regular XP. You don't sound to computer savvy based on the fact your asking about other operating systems. Therefore I strongly advise you don't install some form of Linux. Plus, since your a PC gamer, windows is your only option.
    oh...well then there you have it. Unless you just play WOW, you can play that on MAC

☭Коммунизм для нашего будущего!☭

Wow, talk about judging a book by its cover.
    Because I ask about operating systems I don't know much about computers? That's entertaining.
    Is this not a tech thread? It looks like one... The title says it is.
    And seeing as how there are patches and work around for most newer games, Windows is not my only option.
    PSP History

"Maybe... if you spend your life worrying... then the only way that your life will have meaning is if what you fear becomes real."

KmR
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxmaurier View Post
    Wow, talk about judging a book by its cover.
    Because I ask about operating systems I don't know much about computers? That's entertaining.
    Is this not a tech thread? It looks like one... The title says it is.
    And seeing as how there are patches and work around for most newer games, Windows is not my only option.
    Then why would you ask? Linux, Mac, and Windows are the most common. What did you expect to hear?

I was hoping for at least some advice other then "your no good at computers so you can't do it"
    PSP History

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    If you're bored at windows be like the rest of 'cool' kids to get a hackintosh, and realize that you just wasted 3 hours of your life, and revert back to windows.

If you really want a change, install Ubuntu, it's very easy [for linux distros that is]. You can dual-boot it, hell you can even install it via windows.

You're still going to have to have windows for gaming, so the best way to go is to dual-boot windows and ubuntu.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
    If you're bored at windows be like the rest of 'cool' kids to get a hackintosh, and realize that you just wasted 3 hours of your life, and revert back to windows.
    Lol. If the hardware works osx86 is amazing. My current rig is Osx86 10.5.4 and XP Lite for gaming. I loves it.
    If you really want a change, install Ubuntu, it's very easy [for linux distros that is]. You can dual-boot it, hell you can even install it via windows.
    Ubuntu is the way to go for linux. Well, Ubuntu or Linux Mint, but Mint is based off of Ubuntu so they arent really different. The worst thing about Linux is that you cant use most of the popular software like Adobe apps and such, but if you dont need to do anything incredibly specific with your machine then i would suggest giving ubuntu a try.
    You're still going to have to have windows for gaming, so the best way to go is to dual-boot windows and ubuntu.
    This is what i would be doing if my hardware didnt support OSx86. Get the XP Lite from ThePirateBay and install that for gaming. Its so much faster since it doesnt have a ton of junk installed that you will never use.
    Very funny....not.

KmR
    I was hoping for at least some advice other then "your no good at computers so you can't do it"
    I didn't say that. I said stick with Windows if you expect to play games.

i think canadianbacon, and Canada gave better suggestions, lol
    PSP History

If you like pc game, some of the more popular one run in WINE, which is kind of like a windows emulator on linux, but it isnt. In fact, WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, lol. Anywho, the point is that WINE lets you install windows programs on linux. Its not perfect, but it keeps getting better with each release. There's a program compatibility list on their site: Wine HQ
    Very funny....not.

KmR
    i think canadianbacon, and Canada gave better suggestions, lol
    Have fun big guy.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Lol. If the hardware works osx86 is amazing. My current rig is Osx86 10.5.4 and XP Lite for gaming. I loves it.
    Well I don't have intel so I never tried it on this pc, but last time I wasn't really fond of it.

Anyway dude.

Either way you go, you're going to need windows still for gaming.

Ubuntu is the way to go for linux, and if you want OSx, post in the mac section or just ask canada, or just use google, if you need help.

I like Ubuntu though a lot more, just imho.

Imo, Ubuntu is the ultimate laptop OS. I cant stand gaming on a lappy and photoshop is kinda useless without a mouse. The only thin i would miss by using Ubuntu on a laptop is GarageBand, but im not going to pay apple's outrageous prices for a computer and finding a laptop that works well with osx86 is kinda tough.

You should partition off your HDD and install Ubuntu. You will be able to choose Windows or Ubuntu when you boot up so you get the best of both worlds. If you decide you dont like Ubuntu you can just reformat that partition and you will be back to normal.
    Very funny....not.