Thread: Western digital making me cry

1. #1 Western digital making me cry 
    ok, in jan this year i bought 2 WD 500Gb external Hds one backs up the other synced every night, they have been fantastic up until about a weeks ago, when they BOTH died at exactly the same time

the power supply is in 2 leads, the plug to the wall and another which attaches to the HD which also has a transformer of soughts on it with a green LED power indicator on that.

i plug the normal plug in, no problem, plug that into the transformer the green LED lights up, as soon as i plug that into the HD the green LED fades and its the end of the story, no power,

i have contacted WD and they have been about as useful as a fart in a space suit stating that my Hd models dont exist, and i have contacted currys who offered to take them off me and replace them with new HDs (no use there either).

these HDs hold ALL my photogaphy, my music, my movies, CVs, Art......EVERYTHING, including my sisters wedding photos and some historical photos which the origionals of have been destroyed.

i have tried in differant plug sockets, and USB port and the same fault is happeneing with both HDs,

if anyone can help me it really would be appreciated,

Senior Member I Modded My PSP looneytoon's Avatar
    I didnt read your entire post (im lazy) but have you tried using a different computer? Try that and if it still doesnt work its not the hard drives.

If you have the money, go on ebay and try to find the exact same harddrive, you could try a transplant, transfer the internal of the hard drive into a new body. Hope I was some help.

LooneyElectronics.Com
    High Quality Pandora Battery & Memory Sticks - Low Prices - Fast Shipping From The USA - Personal Customer Service

Member PSP User felixtheswordsman's Avatar
    They're external, so maybe a short on the circut board inside the enclosure? That could explain why the light goes out when the drives are connected.

If that IS the case, you could probably rip the casing off the HD's and just hook them up as internal drives.

I'm no expert though, and I would hate for something to go wrong on account of my hunch...

PSP Model 2001 (TA-85v2): 3.90 OFW -> 3.71m33 -> 3.90m33 -> 3.90m33-3 -> 4.01m33 -> 4.01m33-2 -> 5.00m33 -> 5.00m33-2 -> 5.00m33-3 -> 5.00m33-6 (NO BRICKS!)

thanks for the input guys, problem is they don't make this particular HDD anymore, and have already tried flee bay, to avail.

i will rip them open as a last resort but they are still in warranty and poof goes that if that happens

keep the ideas comming , thanks guys (and gals)

Member PSP User
    Quote Originally Posted by felixtheswordsman View Post
    They're external, so maybe a short on the circut board inside the enclosure? That could explain why the light goes out when the drives are connected.

If that IS the case, you could probably rip the casing off the HD's and just hook them up as internal drives.

I'm no expert though, and I would hate for something to go wrong on account of my hunch...
    This would be my suggestion as well. MOST Externals you can take them apart, and use them as Internal, or slide them into a new enclosure. Worth a Shot. You got a pic of what the HDDs look like?

I can judge better how hard it will be and if its safe to do.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker Daxmaurier's Avatar
    Not sure if it will help, but do you have any other powercords that you can try?
    PSP History
    V 2.81 -> Pandora -> 3.71 m33-2 -> 3.90 M33-3

"Maybe... if you spend your life worrying... then the only way that your life will have meaning is if what you fear becomes real."

i had the same thing happen to me on my maxtor hd. i tried the whole "making it internal" it was a no go. one thing i do is that, i don't leave it plugged in. like early this year i got my latest WD 500gig HD eventually, i figured, they don't have the same structural support as a cpu/laptop may have. so if i need something i'll plug it in, and if i don't need it, disconnect it.

i hope everything else works out, but until then i'll mourn with you on your loss eightshot.
    "Feed The Soul, Starve The Ego" -DJ AM

4.05 OFW -> 3.80 M33-5 CFW -> 4.01 M33-2 CFW

Senior Member I Modded My PSP itzzspencer's Avatar
    western digital fucked me in the ass 6 harddrives

FW history: 3.95 -> 3.71 m33 -> 3.80 m33 -> 3.90M33-4 -> 4.01M33-2