Thread: Windows 7 Beta.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Windows 7 Beta. 
    Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    It leaked, i downloaded it. I installed it in VMWare with one 2.66ghz core and 1gb ram. Its flippin fast. Sound doesnt work, but being a beta build in a VM i really didnt expect everything to work. The new taskbar is amazing. It looks like it will be a pain, but once you use it you understand how awesome it is.
    Theres a thing called 'Libraries' in Explorer that basically allow you to see all the music/movies/pics on your pc with a single click. Really neato.
    I hate IE, but i ussed to to download Firefox and while the download was going on the icon on the taskbar actually mimicked the download progress bar. It was really cool. I was sad when firefox didnt do the same thing
    All in all its turning out to be a great release from MS.

Pic or didnt happen:

When the final build is released i will be upgrading right away. This is what vista should have been, and its freaking awesome.
    Very funny....not.

looks pretty cool.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Looks ok, but that wasn't really the issue with vista, it was the bloatware like features and incompatibility with many programs. Oh, and that overactive security.

Surely they'll come good with this one though, they can't have two poor OS in a row.

Bloatware has nothing to do with vista, its the pc builder that put in all that junk. If you get a vista disc straight from MS it wont have any of that junk on it.
    I've not had one compatibility issue with vista, so i really dont know what to say there. Everything i've tried on it works perfectly, even in 64bit vista.
    The UAC is toned down a bit in Win7. It was annoying in Vista, but it was actually a good thing. Programmers used to have full access to the system when their program was installed. This just makes it so that the system files gets tweaked and the system becomes unstable. Vista's security was designed to be annoying so that programmers would start making apps that dont require admin privilages all the time, making the system more stable. Yes, its still a pain for consumers, but its a pain that needed to be implemented.
    I played on Win 7 for a while and the only time it needed my permission to do anything was when i installed Comodo.
    At this point i have 100% faith in Windows 7. Im proud of MS for getting back on track. They could have done a bit more, but its a beta build so im going to assume they'll fix a few thing before launch (i hope so!).
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Build 7000 is worth the upgrade?

I'm on 6801.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP torin_93's Avatar
    This is just vista with a new name!
    My PSP: HERE

OFW>4.01>4.01 M33-2

^^First off, no. Try it, its the OS vista should have been, and its awesome. So until you try it i suggest you stop judging it unless you are trying so hard to fit into the cool crowd of apple-lugging blind-eyed MS haters. Then by all means, please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
    Build 7000 is worth the upgrade?

I'm on 6801.
    Idk, this is the first build i downloaded. I would assume its much better because things like the new taskbar are turned on by default so MS mut think they are good enough to use this time around.
    Very funny....not.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada2113 View Post
    Idk, this is the first build i downloaded. I would assume its much better because things like the new taskbar are turned on by default so MS mut think they are good enough to use this time around.
    I'll probably upgrade when I find some low links to it.

I have had the new task bar, but the one click media thing sounds cool lol.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Unknownforce's Avatar
    kinda looks like vista, but what do I know I havent used it yet, and so far I dont really see any problems with vista, besides the fact that it uses 102GB of your memory.

/-Screen Shot taker!-Easy-To-Use Pandora's Battery Guide / MMS maker-\
    Xbox360 Gamertag:Unk0wnf0rc3
    Usually on Soul Calibur 4 or Gears of War 2
    THE SAVIOR OF ALL OUR PROBLEMS
    GOOGLE
    (>'_')>Click Here Please<('_'<)

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker NuMB3Rs's Avatar
    definitely going to try it once i upgrade, i hope it does not get bad rep like vista did
    I hold the Ban Guitar.
    "If a man cannot pee on his fans, I don't want to be in show business anymore"- Dave Chappelle

Want To Advertise On PSPMOD?
    READ THIS

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Looks great. I'm definitely looking forward it its release.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Im pissed at W7 now. It wont install on my external firewire drive. I really didt expect it to, but i was really hoping it would so i wouldnt have to squeeze another partition on my hdd to install it natively.

Anyway, for those who care about the tech specs, i had windows7 in that VM running with 1024mb ram and one 2.66ghz core and it got from a cold boot to the desktop in slightly over 1 minute. At that point the hdd light stopped and everything. It was completely done. Also, after sitting there for a few minutes the ram usage was at 252mb. 252! Thats close to XP levels. Looks like Win7 is a keeper.
    Im seriously debating wiping my XP64 install for this. .... Such a hard decision.
    Very funny....not.

Great, it sounds like 7 is going to be what Vista should have been. Now as long as it's compatible with more programs and drivers it should be great.

Vista drivers work for it,so that wont be a problem. Apps are always a pain though. When apple released Leopard it broke about half the programs i had and i was stuck waiting for a patch from the program developers. It sucked so much. I only lost 2 apps going from xp to vista, and both of those worked under compatibility mode, so i would say MS does very well with legacy apps.
    Very funny....not.

Yeah sorry when i said drivers i meant drivers required for certain programs, PCI/usb devices that sort of thing, a lot weren't compatible with Vista when it first launched. A few still aren't.

Also i know for sure that a lot of programs i use don't work on Vista. I'm sure i could find replacements but i'd rather not, much better to just stick with XP.

I believe that is half the point of 7 thought, to fix those incompatibility issues with Vista.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast