Thread: Port forwarding

1. #1 Port forwarding 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP xSBx's Avatar
    I just got my new router and I can't seem to get this to work. I have a Link System WRT54GS. I read the instructions on PortFoward.com but it does not work. It says to type my ip into the internet address bar. I just get a could not load page. I also downloaded the software that auto port forwards but, it does not. Didn't do anything. Anyone know about this sorta thing, please help me out :/

Thanks,
    Jai
    Last edited by xSBx; 02-20-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    3.72 OFW > 3.90 OFW > 3.80 M33-5 CFW > 3.90 M33-5 CFW > 3.80 M33-5 CFW

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    so you cant get to the router page thing?
    try 192.168.2.1

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker sinphaltimus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xSBx View Post
    I just got my new router and I can't seem to get this to work. I have a Link System WRT54GS. I read the instructions on PortFoward.com but it does not work. It says to type my ip into the internet address bar. I just get a could not load page. I also downloaded the software that auto port forwards but, it does not. Didn't do anything. Anyone know about this sorta thing, please help me out :/

Thanks,
    Jai
    What operating system are you running on your PC? If it's windows, you may need to configure or disable windows firewall. You may also need to enable DHCP on the router and your PC.

If your router is not setup with the same newtwork as your PC, they won't talk to eachother. In other words, both the router and PC should be on a 10.1.x.x or 192.168.x.x network together. Also, you didn't specifiy whether it's wired or wireless that is giving you the issue. I have not looked up your router model so I don't know.

Best bet is to disable or delete your port forwarding, enable DHCP on your router and PC then see if they can speak to each other, if so, test the communications, you may not need port forwarding just yet. But once you confirm the router and PC are communicating, you should be able to setup port forwarding fairly easily.
    Last edited by sinphaltimus; 02-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Gaming Art & Design Student - www.digital-church.com

Senior Member I Modded My PSP xSBx's Avatar
    Running XP and its wired. How do I "Best bet is to disable or delete your port forwarding, enable DHCP on your router and PC"

EDIT: Meh I did the portforward.come guide and my speeds went up barely. Now Im getting max 50kb download. Horrible. I also went into speed guide and checked if the port was open and it is. Why is it still so slow. I disabled windows firewall aswell.
    Last edited by xSBx; 02-20-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    3.72 OFW > 3.90 OFW > 3.80 M33-5 CFW > 3.90 M33-5 CFW > 3.80 M33-5 CFW

Could be port speed mismatch. If your router is not a 1GB router on the ports, you should go in to your Nic card config and manually set the link speed and duplex to 100MBit/full Duplex. Might want to consider disabling QOS also. Another thing that can cause issues is any power saving features on the NIC, disable them all.

Once your done with the about, if you don't notice a significant speed change (for the better) you may want to consider running TCP Optimizer - SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Let me know how it turns out.
    Last edited by sinphaltimus; 02-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by sinphaltimus View Post
    Could be port speed mismatch. If your router is not a 1GB router on the ports, you should go in to your Nic card config and manually set the link speed and duplex to 100MBit/full Duplex. Might want to consider disabling QOS also. Another thing that can cause issues is any power saving features on the NIC, disable them all.

Once your done with the about, if you don't notice a significant speed change (for the better) you may want to consider running TCP Optimizer - SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Let me know how it turns out.
    wow that little program is awesome. i did a speedtest and was running 7.5mb download, i opened that app just clicked optimal setting, reboot, redid the test and now its 16.4mb download.

Sweet, glad you like it. I've been using it forever on XP machines