Thread: Floating IP

1. #1 Floating IP 
    Does anyone know excactly what it is and how you get it??

Homebrew Creator PSP Elite Hacker Mobster's Avatar
    if u google it itll tell u
    Left4Quake donation complete!

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Yeah i know, but i can't find any good explanation...they're all quite vague....

what do you mean...the ip address is the ip address. i can check it for you if you go to my site PSP Exploitz • Portal because it gives guests' ip addresses(no im not trying to advertise)

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

I know all about ip-adresses, but my question is about a floating IP (you know, an IP thats not static) and how it works.... And offcourse how you get it!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Oh, you mean a Dynamic IP address. Well it all depends what your ISP give you, most will actually give you a Dynamic IP address (one that changes each time you restart your router), that's why people have to set Static ones for their port forwarding.

Easiest way to find out what you have is to go to run>type in "ipconfig" (without quotations), take note of your IP address, then turn everything off and reboot. Do the same and see if the IP is still the same or has changed.

Can i ask why you want a Dynamic address though? As i said, it makes forwarding ports on your router for different programs and devices impossible.

Actualy i dont necesarily want a floating IP, just trying to find out what it is... Not many who knows though.... And regarding your answer (thnx by the way), but i dont mean a dynamic IP, I mean an IP that changes all the time so it is 100% imposible to track it... Hard to get any answer to it because it's almost nobody who knows...

found this:

Static and dynamic IP addresses

When a computer is configured to use the same IP address each time it powers up, this is known as a Static IP address. In contrast, in situations when the computer's IP address is assigned automatically, it is known as a Dynamic IP address.

[edit] Method of assignment

Static IP addresses are manually assigned to a computer by an administrator. The exact procedure varies according to platform. This contrasts with dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned either by the computer interface or host software itself, as in Zeroconf), or assigned by a server using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Even though IP addresses assigned using DHCP may stay the same for long periods of time, they can generally change. In some cases, a network administrator may implement dynamically assigned static IP addresses. In this case, a DHCP server is used, but it is specifically configured to always assign the same IP address to a particular computer. This allows static IP addresses to be configured centrally, without having to specifically configure each computer on the network in a manual procedure.

In the absence of both an administrator (to assign a static IP address) and a DHCP server, the operating system may assign itself an IP address using state-less autoconfiguration methods, such as Zeroconf.

[edit] Uses of dynamic addressing

Dynamic IP addresses are most frequently assigned on LANs and broadband networks by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers. They are used because it avoids the administrative burden of assigning specific static addresses to each device on a network. It also allows many devices to share limited address space on a network if only some of them will be online at a particular time. In most current desktop operating systems, dynamic IP configuration is enabled by default so that a user does not need to manually enter any settings to connect to a network with a DHCP server. DHCP is not the only technology used to assigning dynamic IP addresses. Dialup and some broadband networks use dynamic address features of the Point-to-Point Protocol.

[edit] Sticky dynamic IP address
    This section may contain original research or unverified claims. Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (December 2008)

A sticky dynamic IP address or sticky IP is a term created by cable and DSL users to describe a dynamically assigned IP address that does not change often. This is however an informal term, as a sticky IP does not differ in any way from other dynamic IP addresses.

Even though IP addresses may not change often for cable or DSL users, the addresses are still controlled by the standard DHCP process. Since the modems are often online for extended periods of time, the leases on the IP addresses are commonly renewed, and therefore may not change.

Should the modem be turned off, a new IP address may be assigned when the modem is turned back on, as a different host on the network may have been assigned the old IP address. IP address changes may also be triggered by resetting the DHCP server configuration; therefore causing the modem to receive a new IP address.

Some users take advantage of a sticky IP to host websites on the cheap. Since a static IP address is usually an "additional-charge option", some ISPs will forcibly re-assigning IP addresses occasionally to encourage purchase of a true static IP.

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Still a little blury about the "floating"-part but made some things a little understandable
    Help me (and yourself) earning a little extra cash by signing up on:
    http://www.AWSurveys.com
    PSP Dictionary Guide.pdf

XBOX Gamertag: Deltaforce007

yeah i looked around and thats all i found

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Yeah i know.... Tried a couple of thousand times, but no one can help me
    Help me (and yourself) earning a little extra cash by signing up on:
    http://www.AWSurveys.com
    PSP Dictionary Guide.pdf

XBOX Gamertag: Deltaforce007

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arn_246 View Post
    Actualy i dont necesarily want a floating IP, just trying to find out what it is... Not many who knows though.... And regarding your answer (thnx by the way), but i dont mean a dynamic IP, I mean an IP that changes all the time so it is 100% imposible to track it... Hard to get any answer to it because it's almost nobody who knows...
    I see, but no matter how often your EXTERNAL ip address changes, your internal one will always be the same, so you're always trackable, no matter how many times you change your external IP address.

To see what i mean, go to this site: What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more No matter what you do with your external IP address, that one will always be the same.