Thread: External Harddrive

1. #1 External Harddrive 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP sinslayerx's Avatar
    I just thought of something crazy that is probaly impossible. My harddrive is failing in my PC and i obvisouly need to buy a new one. What it be possible to connect an external harddrive via USB and run your computer off that? Would there be a dos command or program to redirect the harddrive to an external one? I doubt it, but is it possible?
    Firmware History: 4.01 Official -> Pandora Battery -> 3.90 M33-3 -> 5.00 M33 -> Update -> 5.00 M33-3 -> 5.00 M33-4

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    I could only see it working if your motherboard supports booting from USB. Some do, most don't.

Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post
    I could only see it working if your motherboard supports booting from USB. Some do, most don't.
    So thats the only possible way?
    Firmware History: 4.01 Official -> Pandora Battery -> 3.90 M33-3 -> 5.00 M33 -> Update -> 5.00 M33-3 -> 5.00 M33-4

Rated: CERO Z PSP Elite Hacker
    I can't say with any certainty since I've never done it myself.

It would seem logical that this is the only possible way. Storage from USB seems to be assigned a drive letter once the OS has already booted from an internal hard drive. A motherboard would have to have a bios that supports assigning a drive letter and booting a USB attached storage device. This drive letter would VERY likely have to be C:/ since all directories and registries in the OS installed on the external hard drive would VERY likely point to C:/.

As an aside, I notice in your signature that you went from 4.01 OFW to 3.90 M33 by using Pandora. Did you have a Slim that came out of the box with 4.01? If that is the case, you are one of the 1-2% of people that have a Slim that came with 4.01 and a ta-088v2.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    IT IS POSSIBLE TO RUN FROM THE EXTERNAL however there will probably be a significant lag due to the connection type, if you wish to run from the external, put in your install cd, run the partition prog, and then install the os files

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post
    I can't say with any certainty since I've never done it myself.

It would seem logical that this is the only possible way. Storage from USB seems to be assigned a drive letter once the OS has already booted from an internal hard drive. A motherboard would have to have a bios that supports assigning a drive letter and booting a USB attached storage device. This drive letter would VERY likely have to be C:/ since all directories and registries in the OS installed on the external hard drive would VERY likely point to C:/.

As an aside, I notice in your signature that you went from 4.01 OFW to 3.90 M33 by using Pandora. Did you have a Slim that came out of the box with 4.01? If that is the case, you are one of the 1-2% of people that have a Slim that came with 4.01 and a ta-088v2.
    Nah, i gotta a 1000.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    or find a external with usb 3.0 (really fast)
    and yeah, u need to install it to the usb then set the bios
    most pcs can, if not windows use linux and install wine so it can run .exe/windows programs

wonder what would happen if u installed a windows os with wine?

Senior Member I Modded My PSP timtimnz's Avatar
    get an esata external hardrive if your coumputer has ports

Remember kids rap is only one letter away from crap.
    call in to learn something new.

Gettin off the subject a little, i like your sig timtimnz. One of my teachers once said that Rap stands for Retards Attempting Poetry. Anyways, thanks for the responses!

if it has a 3.5in hdd in it just pull the drive out of ite encloser

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker canadianbacon's Avatar
    lol at these responses.

if your external shows up in your bios then yeah, there's no difference between sata/pata booting to usb booting.. you install it on the external and the mbr will be written to boot from that. just make sure your external is turned on before your pc.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Kaikz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
    lol at these responses.

if your external shows up in your bios then yeah, there's no difference between sata/pata booting to usb booting.. you install it on the external and the mbr will be written to boot from that. just make sure your external is turned on before your pc.
    first time you've been here for ages

Senior Member I Modded My PSP PigVenus's Avatar
    Almost all computers made in the last 4 years should be able to boot from USB harddrives.

However, running Windows from a USB harddrive is possible, but definitely not recommended. USB drives have notoriously slow transfer rates (compared to IDE and SATA drives) and slower access times as well. Also, there are quite a few "tricks" that must be done to fool Windows into doing it at all. Officially, it can't be done at all. Realisitically, it can. Here are some guides to get you pointed in the right direction.

Ngine.de - How to install and run a FULL Windows XP from a USB drive

Windows In Your Pocket : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware <-- flash drive guide

I take no credit or responsibility for these guides. If you hork your system, it all you. I personally, have not tried to do this.