Thread: Starting College

1. #1 Starting College 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP blackrok15's Avatar
    Well it was either going to go here or in the "Off Topic" Discussions soooo I picked here. I read here a lot...don't really post as much but I think I can trust your opinions. I'm starting college soon (21 and I haven't been to school in 7 years...total mind blower) for Computer Systems and Networking. The classes I'm taking are going to focus on mainly hardware and eventually I'm hoping to get a job working for a school district as an I.T. guy...or something along those lines. My first semester is going include a class called Work Station/Arch Support1 (A+) I'm assuming this is going to be a more hands on class to prepare me for an A+ certification. I know for a fact it's a two part (total of one year) class.

My question is for all you guys/gals is...what tools do you think I'll need to be successful? All I can honestly think of is a (pardon my spelling) sauldering iron with some saulder (if someone could give me an idea of what kind...that would kick ass) small NONmagnetic screwdriver set...more than likely phillips...right? I read somewhere that there's a glove...or....something that you wear that lowers the chance of killing something with static but either A)Did I make that up? or B)Is that overkill? This school prepares all their culinary students with friggin' uniforms and knives and stuff but don't even give the tech dorks an idea of what they need...

Please bring me knowledge...I'm low....Thanks

Senior Member I Modded My PSP EngrishKiller's Avatar
    What you are looking is micro/miniature repair also know as 2m. As for static damage to components, no that is 100% true. And, no it is not a glove you wear. It is a wrist strap, made of metal, plastic, and cord you attach to true ground.

I don't see you would want to buy all this stuff. It can be very expensive. If you have to do this in college, they should have a lab to provide for their students.

A+ is pretty extensive at times. Study up, and it will pay off in the long run.

Good luck with your courses as well. I will be starting myself here soon.

Super Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Pirate-M.Lifnen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EngrishKiller View Post
    What you are looking is micro/miniature repair also know as 2m. As for static damage to components, no that is 100% true. And, no it is not a glove you wear. It is a wrist strap, made of metal, plastic, and cord you attach to true ground.

I don't see you would want to buy all this stuff. It can be very expensive. If you have to do this in college, they should have a lab to provide for their students.

Exactly what I was going to say.
    He's 100% accurate.
    Rules, rules, rules. WinRAR
    The most important thread you'll ever read..

"The mods look like the gestapo; 'do as we say, not as we do.'"

Banned I Modded My PSP
    A semi cheap $30 soldering iron is all you ealy need in that part along with 60/40 rosin core solder

Despite whole lead free bs most technicians will always use lead bearing solder due to lower melting temp and its better bonding

(a temperature controlled one is better but they can get expensive and bad care can ruin the most expensive one)

But this is the kit/trainer my school recommends (for industrial electronics)
    Elenco XK-700T Trainer Digital Analog Deluxe Tools XK-700T XK 700T XK700T
    You also need a good multimeter and calculator though

But... If you want the absolute best... $500-$3000
    Soldering/desoldering station
    Hot air gun
    Hot tweezer's

Good=http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/988d.html

But your school will give you a supply list

And P.S. Only static damage you have to wory about is to cmos ic chip's (such as console's, mod chip's and a computer)
    but for radio

99% of the time its not really needed
    Last edited by Hitokiri; 08-22-2009 at 02:52 AM.