Thread: best cheap netbook

1. #1 best cheap netbook 
    Homebrew Creator PSP Elite Hacker Mobster's Avatar
    Hey guys what is the best netbook in your opinion that I can get for $300 or less? I have some ideas, but I just want some more opinions. Thanks
    Left4Quake donation complete!

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    Samsung NC10.

Why do you want one though?

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    I got one at Wall Mart for $300. It was an HP. It runs like 6 hours on battery w/ internet on. I love it.

This is what I got at the time but apparently they updated em from XP to Windows 7 and stopped giving the 6 cell battery.

Walmart.com: HP Black 10.1" Mini 110-116NR Netbook PC with Intel Atom Processor & Windows 7 Starter Edition: Computers

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinlyBliss View Post
    I got one at Wall Mart for $300. It was an HP. It runs like 6 hours on battery w/ internet on. I love it.

This is what I got at the time but apparently they updated em from XP to Windows 7 and stopped giving the 6 cell battery.

Walmart.com: HP Black 10.1" Mini 110-116NR Netbook PC with Intel Atom Processor & Windows 7 Starter Edition: Computers
    Since Windows 7's release, netbooks have become more powerful. I would recommend wiping Win 7: Starter and going back to XP Pro. Starter is crap as crippled as an average Verizon cell phone.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Homebrew Creator PSP Elite Hacker Mobster's Avatar
    ok thanks guys. Anyways I want one just for quick surfing really because right now I own a desktop.
    Left4Quake donation complete!

Left 4 Dead on PSP!

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Gameunreal's Avatar
    Never go back to XP: Either put Hackintosh onto it or put Windows 7 Home: either way it will run as fast as XP and be much much better.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP Omega_redest's Avatar
    Try the acer aspire one netbook "aoa110 = cheap" perfect for internet usage.

+- us$160
    Friend of noobs and masters alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameunreal View Post
    Never go back to XP: Either put Hackintosh onto it or put Windows 7 Home: either way it will run as fast as XP and be much much better.
    It's a netbook, not a full blown-laptop. XP has a minimum requirement of 256 MB of RAM. Windows 7 Home needs at least 1GB. In addition, TinyXP, which needs no activation and comes bare-minimum, uses 45MB of RAM in total and has a 300MB install footprint.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    Since Windows 7's release, netbooks have become more powerful. I would recommend wiping Win 7: Starter and going back to XP Pro. Starter is crap as crippled as an average Verizon cell phone.
    I heard Windows 7 was awesome; heh. Guess I was wrong. x-D Oh well I got XP here. I'm good.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Killer's Avatar
    The full fat version of Windows 7 is excellent, the slim version designed for netbooks, not so much.

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    I'm using Windows 7 Pro on my Acer Aspire One AOA150, I added an extra half gig of ram so it's running 1.5gb of ram, and it runs smoothly.

Retired Moderator PSP Elite Hacker Julie's Avatar
    i have a Dell Mini 9 and im pretty pleased with it. i have issues with the tiny shift key and typing with long fingernails, but i got used to it and cant really complain anymore it anymore.

it has a built in memory card reader so thats a plus for uploading photos without killing my camera batteries. battery life in in the 5 hour range and higher depending on use... but since the drive is Solid State and theres no disk drive, its quite gentle on batteries, as well as being light and quiet. granted, i only have 8gb of space (6.50gb after xp and my applications are installed) but hey.. its a netbook, not a full blown laptop.

love how many usb plugs it has, love the screen for watching movies, love how tiny it is, and i love how quiet and cool it is. ive used it mostly for net related activies such as chat, surfing, and watching videos and it has performed flawlessly. ive also used it for occasional photo editing (using paint.net) and even played the original Call of Duty on it.. but it just doesnt have the power.

theres alot of offerings on netbooks right now, so keep your options open. id also suggest going to a store and trying it before you buy one. keyboards on these are generally smaller and tighter, so you might want to try typing on one before you commit, if you havent all ready
    R.I.P Zoidberg

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    Mine has an 85% keyboard and I like it more then the full size keyboard I can type faster on this.

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    The full fat version of Windows 7 is excellent, the slim version designed for netbooks, not so much.
    Yeah, you pretty much got that right.