Thread: Awsome Final Project for College Course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Awsome Final Project for College Course 
    Senior Member I Modded My PSP blackrok15's Avatar
    I am in a class that is basiclly a two part prep course for the A+ certification. Tonight we recieved the instruction for the final project...and I think I splooged a little when he told us.

"Build" a computer with a three thousand dollar budget.

-Case
    -Power Supply
    -Heatsink/fans
    -Motherboard
    -CPU(s)
    -RAM
    -Video Card
    -Sound Card
    -Network Card (Even if the mobo has intergrated video,sound, and networking we still need the adapter cards)
    -Optical drive(s)
    -Hard drive(s)
    -Monitor(s)
    -Keyboard/Mouse
    -Perpherials (but may not include a printer) so joysticks/pedals/steering wheel
    -Operating System

I think that's everything but I might be missing something...I am really excited for this project. A bigger budget might be nice but it'll do.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    I'm sorry, but WHAT THE FUCK? How is that any kind of test? What is the A+ certification in, plugging shit together? What school would call that a valid test of skill, especially for a 2-semester course?!?! That should be the final for a "Hardware 101" type class, NOT a certification.

...And 3k is pathetic. I normally build systems from recycled parts, but the last one I paid for went like this; AthlonXP64-3500+, 1gig, 250gig, mobo w/ everything integrated, DVD-DL-+-R/W, 15" dell flat-panel, USB Kb/mouse, all for $500 shipped (4 years ago, and yes I admit it ain't the greatest system). Tack on Vista-32(Yes, it sucks ass, but slightly less than XP-64) at a (heavy) student discount for $15, and the grand total was ~US$515 shipped. Two hours after the parts arrived (most of it spent looking for my stash of IDE cables, the SATA's were included), I was online and downloading my usual programs.

...Oh, and I'm not really a techie either - I'll be graduating w/ a degree in medicinal chemistry in the spring.

EDIT - good video and sound cards will take up most of your cost. Cases and PSU's are cheap as shit, and I forgot to mention that the above mentioned system included an ATX case w/ 450watt PSU in the order. Newegg and Tigerdirect are one hell of a resource for the system builder and they'll ship it all in one bigass box (when possible) to cut down on costs....I also didn't mention the heatsink or fans - CPU/Mobo/Heatsink/Fan came as a combo, and the case came with its own fans.
    Last edited by Intergalactic Captain; 11-24-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

Senior Member I Modded My PSP DarkMaster3442's Avatar
    wow awesome sick final project I wish they had shit like that in the U.K
    PS3 then wii then 360. Ps2 shits on 360 due to rrod

Next geezer sed:
    i went to the store and i asked if they had pandora batteries but they said they didnt becouse its illegal and i red that not the battery is illegal but the imfo that its in it i dont konow but i want to why is that info illegal

MY PSN: SlashProductions

Unfortuatly, combo deals aren't allowed. Also, all prices must be "retail" (no sale prices) All pricing must come from newegg. Shipping is not accounted for.
    More than likely I'll be "purchasing" OEM CPUs because they don't come with a fan/heatsink. I have to buy them seperately anyway so why pay extra for a retail boxed version.

This wasn't intended to be the final project for this semister. It was supposed to be more a reasearch powerpoint presentation. The professor didn't get as much material covered as he would of liked so he decided on this project (which is actually taken from next semester) and switch it with the powerpoint presentation, which will be a final for next semester.

I'm up in the air when it comes to deciding the CPU...I have experiance only with INTEL, but AMD is a little cheaper so that might help me get a disgustingly awsome GPU. I know I want Nvidia since I have crappy expierence with ATI.

The King Of Chinatown PSP Elite Hacker Geek's Avatar
    BADASS, makes me jealous

I'm not a pirate. I am a 21st century Che liberating files from the capitalist overlords.
    How to check if you can mod your PSP

Thanks MZ for a sleek sig!

Knights of War PSP Elite Hacker KoW210's Avatar
    Wow you can do A LOT with 3000$.

do you get to keep the computer? lol with 3k, ultimate gaming computer lol

Heh, we (the class) asked my professor, "If we get an A on the project will you actually buy us the computer?" He didn't find it as humorous as we did...hehe. I believe his responce was something along the lines of, "If you get a 100% on the final I might hardly consider it" It'd be sick though if he really would if someone got a 100% on the final though. It is going to be on number systems. Binary-Decimal-Hexadecimal crap like that which is really easy.

Senior Member PSP Mad Hacker
    All right then... As a learning experience, I can see the value in this - Though the actual build could be done by a one-armed chimp - Shopping for parts is the major time consumer.

...As for a processor, I'd look into the new quad-core intel models. AMD is usually quite a bit cheaper, but you'll pay for it in the future with compatibility issues (I do a shitton of video conversion, some instruction sets just do not work properly with athlons - may be different with the newest ones though).
    If you see me running, try to keep up.

Senior Member PSP Elite Hacker Product F(RED)'s Avatar
    Since you have $3000, I would suggest the most powerful graphics card in the world ($913): ATI Radeon HD 5970 Dual-GPU Powerhouse Review - HotHardware

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz | 4GB A-Data DDR2 RAM | Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB
    Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Intel GMA HD

Quote Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
    Since you have $3000, I would suggest the most powerful graphics card in the world ($913): ATI Radeon HD 5970 Dual-GPU Powerhouse Review - HotHardware
    *bows down* all hail king of the gpu's!!!!

Well, to be honest....it was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. I went through a couple different setups. Originally I spent about 5k. This is a rough draft...

Case-$279.99 Newegg.com - XCLIO 2000 Black &Ttitanium Finish 1.0 mm SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Full Tower Extreme Cooling Computer Case - Computer Cases
    Power Supply-$179.99 Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
    Motherboard-$204.99 Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP55KG LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    CPU- $289.99 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Heat sink-$29.99 Newegg.com - Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552 92mm CPU Cooler For Intel Socket LGA1156 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
    Fan-$41.99 Newegg.com - 1ST PC CORP. PFB1212UHE-F00 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans
    Hard Drive $199.99 Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Video Card $399.99 Newegg.com - Palit NE3TX285FHD45 GeForce GTX 285 2GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    TV Tuner-$99.99 Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner MC-Kit 1183 PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices
    Audio Card-$159.99 Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
    Network Card-$109.99 Newegg.com - VisionTek 900296 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card 1 x RJ45 - Network Interface Cards
    Optical Drive(Blue Ray Burner)-$219.99 Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer Model BDR-205BKS - Blu-Ray Burners
    Operating System-$199.99 Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full - Operating Systems
    Speakers-$164.25 Newegg.com - Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System - Speakers
    Monitor-$299.99 Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2333HD High Glossy Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10,000:1 (1,000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
    Keyboard & Mouse-$95.99 Newegg.com - Logitech 967692-0403 Beige & Black 105 Normal Keys 12 Function Keys RF Wireless Ergonomic Desktop Comfort Laser - Keyboards

Why would you spend sooooo much on the case, or the mouse?

Elite Bullshitter PSP Elite Hacker Jubbabubba's Avatar
    Because it's colorful o_o

The Case...simply because it's easy on the eyes and personally I've never seen anything like it before.

The mouse/keyboard set I had no particular reasoning...just left over couple bucks had to go somewhere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast